2010 Nissan Rogue rust under the carriage

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
ithinksgreen

Hi Guys,

I need your advice here. I have a 2010 nissan rogue with 20 K miles on it. I drove the car only in last winter and after every snow storm use to get a full car wash to avoid the rust. but yesterday I was shocked when I bent down to inflate the tires the car is rusty underneath. the car is still under warranty for another one month.

Please share your experience and let me know what should i be doing to address this issue.

Thanks

rickrogue
Car: 2011 nissan rouge

the question is, where is the rust?

ithinksgreen

It is on the frame and exhaust

minibus4
Car: 2008 AWD SL

The only way to stop rusting to not expose the car to any oxygen. There is pretty much no practical way to stop oxidation completely. Salt from the roads are most likely your biggest contributor leading to oxidation of the vehicle. You can try to sand down the oxidized parts to bare metal and then cover the whole surface with the most high temp and most durable paint you can find. Its not like its going to fall apart overnight due to the rust. Take it to the dealer to see if anything can be done and paint the oxidized components. I would just deal with it since it's a loosing battle.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

ithinksgreen wrote:It is on the frame and exhaust
The exhaust will always rust, doesn't matter what car it is. I think you need to take some good pictures and post them so we can really see what's going on.

ithinksgreen

I see the bolts to the frame are rusty and dots of rust on the frame. There is rust on calipers and shocks

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

Titanium exhausts don't rust ;)

Throw some pics on there, it could be just some surface rust.

ithinksgreen

Hi Guy,

I took some snaps today please see it in the below post.

Thank you, looking forward to your input
Last edited by ithinksgreen on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asoomal

Rotors are gonna rust...who cares about them, but the frame..damn.

Where are you from by the way?

ithinksgreen

Hi,

I am from north east, but I used to get the under carriage wash every time.

Now what do I do? Anybody in similar situation ?

Qashqai

ithinksgreen wrote: Now what do I do? Anybody in similar situation ?
Most people in this forum don't understand why we (Canadians) try to fight with rust? :chuckle: We have to fight!!!! Yes at the end we may lost, but we have to F I G H T T T T T :chuckle: :chuckle:

I live in Ottawa and I have the same rust on the same spot (although yours look more serious):

rock-deflector-rear-wheels-t572715.html#p6459027

Last weekend, I used my rotary tool and sand bits to remove all the rust until the shiny steel is visible. I cleaned with alcohol, dry the surface and use rubberized spray:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en

(Note: I covered the rubber bushings, to protect them from the chemicals inside the spray)

I did it just for my own visual satisfaction (and to kill some time as well). I am pretty sure I solved the rust problem there. I have no idea why Nissan didn't spray a rubberized protective layer there??? Will it get rust again? Sure, but maybe after 2-3 years.

The rust on the suspension parts? You can do the same thing. Remove the tires, sand and spray rubberized thingie.

Rotor will rust, you can paint the calipers or the outside of the rear rotors, but waste of time I think.

Exhaust? I spray painted the rear muffler with black BBQ paint (high-temperature). I think the OEM muffler looks ugly from the rear of the car. With black paint, it is better. For the exhaust pipes, I can paint as well, but the paint will also paint the metal heat shields and I thnik they should be as "shiny metal" as possible to reflect infrared (If the surface of the heatshield is black, it will absorb the heat radiations). I may lift the car and remove the heatshields or mask them then bla bla bla....I prefer to leave them as is...plus it is a bait for the rust :naughty:

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

this is normal. you will never stop this, on any car. from a bugatti to a lambo.
nor is this dangerous. the pieces of metal that are rusting will outlast the car, by 3 times. its such strong metal that your great grand-kids will be able to use the parts in their future cars. (sheet metal / fenders / body paneling is a whole different story. thats super thin metal that will get holes in it)

EXHAUSTS WILL ALWAYS RUST - because they are not titanium, and are exposed to heat cycling (1,000 degree heat, and then a cold puddle!)

brakes: rotors & calipers will also rust, and that too is normal. the metal used in these items is so strong that it will take over 100 years of rust before its even near a state of "fragile".

people need to understand that under our cars, its getting sandblasted daily, on every mile. that constant sand blasting at 60mph will eventually wear away and chip any protective coating; which then is exposed to rain, mist, fog, puddles, daily humidity.

mine also has rust, take a look at my video @6:30

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

all normal. these are parts fully exposed to heat, cold, debris, heat cycling, rocks, etc. (the only one that raised an eyebrow is the weld on the strut - but thats a wear item that gets replaced anyway at 30,000-50,000 miles so who cares.

Qashqai

...and don't forget, some car wash companies recycle the water. So when you wash your car to remove salt, you are spraying it back to the car. Just keep in mind.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

THEY ALL recycle water. its a law

christo89
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package!

Hi,

As Qashqai said, in Canada, we have to fight against the rust. I'm from Quebec, and bought my 08 Rogue at the end of January. I juste received my hitch so take a look under... and discovered rust.

What I plan to do???

- Sand down the rust with buffer/brushwire/sanspaper and painting or rubberrized coating it. (It depend of the part).
- Calipers and rotors sanding + paint them gloss dark grey / black(for the rotors).

Finally, before next winter, I'll plan to make a trip to... antirust shop!

Qashqai

ImStricken wrote:THEY ALL recycle water. its a law

Maybe in Florida, but not in Ontario :chuckle:
They [commercial car washes] must separate out solids, as well as grease and oil, for proper landfill disposal. The water left over goes down sanitation sewers that flow, like the ones in your home, to a city facility for treatment.
http://www.thestar.com/life/2007/09/15/ ... _wash.html

or

http://www.canadiancarwash.ca/pdf/City% ... 202011.pdf

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

christo89 wrote:What I plan to do???
- Sand down the rust with buffer/brushwire/sanspaper and painting or rubberrized coating it. (It depend of the part).
- Calipers and rotors sanding + paint them gloss dark grey / black(for the rotors).
your gonna sand down all the metal under your car? you do realize you will never, ever, EVER, rust proof the bottom of the car - right? even if you leave a speckle - its gonna grow again. rust is alive.

and your gonna sand your calipers? rotors? = its cheaper and easier to replace them. but unless you powder-coat them - they will rebuild rust in a matter of months. they heat cycle so paint will crack and chip in months time.

i think you folks are wasting your time doing all of this. you simply cant sand your way to being rust free. if rust is present - unless it killed and chemically treated = its only covered up. and its gonna continue to grow and spread under your covering.

asoomal

My 21 year old S13 doesn't have rust like that...but the seams are destroyed.

I can't believe that they put no coating under there, looks like a thin layer of primer.

christo89
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Package!

ImStricken wrote:
christo89 wrote:What I plan to do???
your gonna sand down all the metal under your car? you do realize you will never, ever, EVER, rust proof the bottom of the car - right? even if you leave a speckle - its gonna grow again. rust is alive.

and your gonna sand your calipers? rotors? = its cheaper and easier to replace them. but unless you powder-coat them - they will rebuild rust in a matter of months. they heat cycle so paint will crack and chip in months time.

i think you folks are wasting your time doing all of this. you simply cant sand your way to being rust free. if rust is present - unless it killed and chemically treated = its only covered up. and its gonna continue to grow and spread under your covering.
I will not do the entire car... but for exemple, I'll put a layer or 2 of black paint before installing my hitch... and part visible from the exterior of the car... not to much.

For the powder coat, I agree... but what do that mean? Remove the 4 calipers and bring them to a shop???

I know caliper paint it's not as durable as powder coat, but with a good prep, the paint will last more than months.

I just plan to keep the Rogue clean and in good shape!

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

christo89 wrote:For the powder coat, I agree... but what do that mean? Remove the 4 calipers and bring them to a shop???
precisely
christo89 wrote:I know caliper paint it's not as durable as powder coat, but with a good prep, the paint will last more than months.
brakes heat cycle. that causes rapid changes in metal structure. good luck keeping the paint from chipping

Qashqai

ImStricken wrote: good luck keeping the paint from chipping
:spitout:

Grumpy ImStricken...

....against plastic oil catch cans, against rust proofing, against anything! :lolling:

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

lmfao!!

1. i am not against oil catch cans. i actually think they play a very important roll. i just support using the correct supplies to build such systems.

2. i am against so called "rust proofing" because its a task not easily accomplished. it will require either brand new parts, treated, and then coated in rust proofing paint, or the old parts properly cleaned, treated, and coated in rust proofing paint. simply cleaning and sanding will never remove rust. such a task should be called "Rust Masking". ;)

taking a car, while all the parts are still installed on it - is almost impossible to do right. its called "beating a dead horse". it wont wake up, it wont heal, and it wont fix anything. you still have a dead horse. you can put lipstick on a pig, and its still a pig! LOLOL

this is what happens when you mask rust with any kind of paint:

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai

ImStricken wrote: 1. i am not against oil catch cans. i actually think they play a very important roll. i just support using the correct supplies to build such systems.
I know, I was just kidding :chuckle:
ImStricken wrote: 2. i am against so called "rust proofing" because its a task not easily accomplished. it will require either brand new parts, treated, and then coated in rust proofing paint, or the old parts properly cleaned, treated, and coated in rust proofing paint. simply cleaning and sanding will never remove rust. such a task should be called "Rust Masking". ;)
I totally agree. That's why I never took my car to "rust proofing". Plus they spray the whole body including delicate rubber parts/hoses.

I just love to repair a rusted area, which is visible from 10 meters away :frown:

I know it will rust again and I can't stop the oxidation (wit all the air and salt around me)...but I love to "baby" my Rogue...

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Qashqai wrote:Plus they spray the whole body including delicate rubber parts/hoses.
they dont. they cover up those area's. very often leaving an inch or so of metal parts uncovered. they cant spray exhaust parts, parts that move, parts that get hot, etc - because it will burn and go on fire. "rust proofing" is a scam. not everything gets rust "proofed".

take a look at this frame. see the holes from the factory? you think moisture doesnt get in there? of course it does. so whats the point of spraying the outside, when the inside gets moisture anyway? SCAM!!

asoomal

Cavity wax.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

Qashqai wrote:I just love to repair a rusted area, which is visible from 10 meters away :frown:

I know it will rust again and I can't stop the oxidation (wit all the air and salt around me)...but I love to "baby" my Rogue...
Use POR15 or another good rust product(such as Loctite Extend) while following the instructions and you won't be repairing the same area over and over again. Work smarter not harder!

Return to “Rogue Forum”