rock deflector rear wheels

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Jostudly
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue

I have been getting a lot of rocks chipping away at my rear axles and was wondering if I could purchase either from the dealer or online a front deflector to go in front of the rear wheels like they have on the newer models. My 09 does not have it.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Jostudly wrote:I have been getting a lot of rocks chipping away at my rear axles and was wondering if I could purchase either from the dealer or online a front deflector to go in front of the rear wheels like they have on the newer models. My 09 does not have it.
I'm gonna say yes, you probably can order this from your favorite dealership and install it. However, it's now after 2am so I'm a little fuzzy on what part you're referring to, otherwise I'd check the part number and see if it would work, along with trying to find a good price for it.

Jostudly

Its called a center mud guard but not sure if it can be installed on a 09 Rogue or not.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

Mine is "clipped" in to the body and if you do not have the necessary holes then you'll end up having to drill them (and obviously attempt to rust-proof) in order to put the clips in. If I recall the plastic isn't contoured or anything so you should be able to install them on an 09 if you make the appropriate mounting points.

Jostudly

Well I was hoping to avoid drilling any holes. I thought it could just clip on the frame or maybe be glued on. Do you fine this piece helps in stopping rocks flying and chipping the axles?

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Jostudly wrote:Well I was hoping to avoid drilling any holes. I thought it could just clip on the frame or maybe be glued on. Do you fine this piece helps in stopping rocks flying and chipping the axles?
I rather don't think gluing it would be such a good idea, if you ever need to have any work done in that area. Are you experiencing a lot of rock damage?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Jostudly wrote: Do you fine this piece helps in stopping rocks flying and chipping the axles?
your axle is solid steel. nothing is chipping it, unless its stronger steel.

Jostudly

Sorry I am not sure what it is called but its part of the frame that is behind the rear wheels that chips

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Jostudly wrote:Sorry I am not sure what it is called but its part of the frame that is behind the rear wheels that chips
:worthless:

TrevorK

Jostudly wrote:Well I was hoping to avoid drilling any holes. I thought it could just clip on the frame or maybe be glued on. Do you fine this piece helps in stopping rocks flying and chipping the axles?
I think if you look at the cost of buying these pieces there may be a better solution - 3M. If you are worried about the rock chips on specific pieces it seems that you probably have started to see rock chips on the piece. Therefore you know where the typical "pattern" is for rock chips.

So after touching up the paint on these parts and letting it cure properly why not 3M them? 3M is very resistant to rock chips and the best part is that it requires no work that potentially damages your car (like drilling into the rocker panels) and is not very expensive. It is also completely reversible should you choose.

I can't comment on the strength of using a cheaper vinyl product but maybe someone else can who has experience with vinyl.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

TrevorK wrote:
I think if you look at the cost of buying these pieces there may be a better solution - 3M. If you are worried about the rock chips on specific pieces it seems that you probably have started to see rock chips on the piece. Therefore you know where the typical "pattern" is for rock chips.

So after touching up the paint on these parts and letting it cure properly why not 3M them? 3M is very resistant to rock chips and the best part is that it requires no work that potentially damages your car (like drilling into the rocker panels) and is not very expensive. It is also completely reversible should you choose.

I can't comment on the strength of using a cheaper vinyl product but maybe someone else can who has experience with vinyl.
+1 great idea. i wouldnt mind using the cheaper alternatives; as they have come a long way, and are very much so cost effective. RVinyl has an amazing assortment and supply. i have ordered from them, and they ALWAYS deliver exactly as promised. "followingnfront" too ordered from them, and too has received similar results for a fraction of the cost of 3m products. post6442065.html

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Don't forget Metrorestyling vinyl ;) I've used them plenty of times.

Still need to order form rVinyl lol

Jostudly

I have 3M tape on the inside of my doors already and it has held up nicely so far however this part of the frame that I am referring to is underneath the car in front of the rear wheels which I already have black rubberized undercoating which is starting to come off and starting to get surface rust. I don't think the 3M will adhere that well under the body with the salt and corrosives that hit it from the road. Just look underneath your Rogues and I am sure you will see where I mean.

ImStricken06
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Jostudly wrote:I have 3M tape on the inside of my doors already and it has held up nicely so far however this part of the frame that I am referring to is underneath the car in front of the rear wheels which I already have black rubberized undercoating which is starting to come off and starting to get surface rust. I don't think the 3M will adhere that well under the body with the salt and corrosives that hit it from the road. Just look underneath your Rogues and I am sure you will see where I mean.
oh ok, i thought you were talking about the painted surfaces. why would anyone try and spend even a dollar trying to protect that area? its worthless. people need to understand that rust is NEVER going to be prevented in a car. if you spray that area with the best of the best materials; the rust will go else where.

people should spend their time more productively; like making sure the paint job is in excellent condition. because at the end of the day- thats what future buyers are going to be paying higher resale value for. "pretty" cares look taken care off. shining cars 'look' taken care of.

Qashqai

I agree ImStricken, you can't avoid rust. However, I like to spend time with my car in summer and cleaning the surface rust with Dremel and spraying rubber will be a fun little project :biggrin:

TrevorK

Jostudly wrote:I have 3M tape on the inside of my doors already and it has held up nicely so far however this part of the frame that I am referring to is underneath the car in front of the rear wheels which I already have black rubberized undercoating which is starting to come off and starting to get surface rust. I don't think the 3M will adhere that well under the body with the salt and corrosives that hit it from the road. Just look underneath your Rogues and I am sure you will see where I mean.
Why do you think that 3M wouldn't hold up? Provided it adheres to your surface (you might want to clean it up and spray it...or use POR15) I see no reason why 3M wouldn't hold. Once it's on I don't see salt, rocks, etc... being able to take it off unless you have a bad seam (so just wrap your seams so there is as little of an edge exposed underneath as possible).

For my door sills I purchased 3M that was 4" thick and because I thought "why waste it" I ended up wrapping it over the door sills and the excess under the rocker panels (where there is a rockguard-type coating). It's held up perfectly fine for me, and it's subjected to rocks, etc.... I do not see why 3M wouldn't hold up in other areas.

In the end what other solution (other than leaving it alone) do you have? Powder coating? Plastidip? I really don't think any of those have as good of a chance of working as 3M.

(I haven't used any of the other vinyl products so I can't comment on them. I'm not saying they won't hold, but I have no experience. So don't think that I'm discounting them altogether.)

Jostudly

I don't disagree that 3M will not hold underneath but with rust already there I am not sure how well it will adhere to the frame that's all. I just figured that the centre mud guard could be installed on the frame since the newer models have it already.

Return to “Rogue Forum”