2008 Infiniti M35x - Tire Advice

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Infian
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35X

Hello,

Great to be part of this forum. I recently purchased a 2008 Infiniti M35x. I am enjoying the drive dynamics and features (quite impressive for a 08 model). One issue though is the moderate level of tramlining on certain freeways. Tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS, the relatively newer model that the previous owner installed last year (I assume).

To resolve the tramlining issue, I was planning to replace the tires at some point. Co-incidentally I had a flat tire yesterday so probably a good time to accelerate the decision. All Season, Zero'ish tramlining and Decent Snow Performance (Light-Medium Snow) are the criteria.

Based on Tire Rack reviews, I have boiled the options down to the following

a) (Ultra High Performance) Conti Extreme DWS06 - 100Y (I know the older DWS was highly recommended for M35X. Not sure about the DWS06) Could not find the V-speed rated option either.
b) (High Performance) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (96V)

Any thoughts on which would be a better call that suits my criteria or ,even better, if you have any other tire recommendations.

Thanks!

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Keep in mind, tramlining isn't just a tire issue - it can be an alignment issue. Make sure toe is exactly to spec - and then get those new tires!

Also, TR reviews aren't always the end-all be-all. In fact, the Michelins haven't been highly ranked (by independent testers) in years. Check out some of the other offerings, and check some other reviews.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

AZhitman wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:37 pm
Keep in mind, tramlining isn't just a tire issue - it can be an alignment issue. Make sure toe is exactly to spec - and then get those new tires!

Also, TR reviews aren't always the end-all be-all. In fact, the Michelins haven't been highly ranked (by independent testers) in years. Check out some of the other offerings, and check some other reviews.
I used to have SteveTheTech"'s custom alignment saved in a text file many years ago. I lost it during an OS reinstall at some point :( It had different specs, mainly for toe, and it significantly reduced tramlining effects in the car at the expense of a little more tire wear. Ill have to see if I can find those specs again.

I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's in my car and I love them. They handle very well in dry and rain. No snow here where I am so cant say anything on that front. They have lasted a pretty long time too compared to the extreme performance summer tires I am used to, and they really dont lose *that much* grip compared to the high end summer tires on streets here. They do have less tramlining compared to stock tires, but not the best I have used.
Since you just got the car and it is an '08, I would suggest lifting it up and checking your suspension. Tie rod connectors, end links, and control arms. Also check shocks and struts for signs of leaking. You may have worn out ball joints in some suspension causing additional tramlining.

picoman
Car: 2006 M35X

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:20 am

I used to have SteveTheTech"'s custom alignment saved in a text file many years ago. I lost it during an OS reinstall at some point :( It had different specs, mainly for toe, and it significantly reduced tramlining effects in the car at the expense of a little more tire wear. Ill have to see if I can find those specs again.
https://forums.nicoclub.com/alignment-s ... 14374.html

, depending on what your goals are for your M45 I would suggest setting some front and rear toe (I like ~0.04 total toe) This keeps steer ahead spot on and under highway driving it tends to zero out and prevent the uneven wear if you do allot of highway driving. Rear camber is the only other adjustable angle in the suspension geometry and the nominal spec of -0.15 will not cause uneven year and seems to work pretty well unless your going to track it.

For more spirited driving I would lean towards Yokohama S drives, Dunlop Advans, or the PSIIs. Something asymmetrical so they can be cross rotated. Going with something with an aggressive tread design does not usually offer much benefit over a good set of upper end sport tires.

EniGmA1987

Thanks pico!

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Welcome to the forum! First, it's called "tramlining", not tramling.
You have chosen the proper category for tires. Our cars perform best with Ultra HP tires. I have tried other brands but I always come back to Michelin. Nobody can match the life span, grip, or handling. I recommend upgrading to a 255 size if they are compatible with your wheel width and they likely WILL fit.
I have 255/40/19s and the difference in handling and grip is amazing ! The tide is just as comfy as the 245/45s that came with the car. You could use 255/45s - they will fit with no issues but will cause the car to sit slightly higher off the road.
That said, lots of members recommend the DWS and Pirelli tires as well.
As previously stated, The tramlining issue is partly tire and partly car. That is why the ultra high performance tires are important - highest quality tires = less instances of tramlining. I cannot speak to many other brands of tires but I CAN say that my Michelins DO slightly move the steering wheel whilst stopping at a traffic signal if there are ruts in the roadway. Other than that, no tramlining EVER at ANY speed.

Infian
Car: 2008 Infiniti M35X

Thank you for all the suggestions. Very much appreciate it!

Checked alignment today. Nice call Azhitman. Total Toe is out of spec, both front and rear. Camber is in spec. Will also take a look at the custom alignment link that pico and Enigma were referring to.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS that were on the vehicle when I purchased, still have around 7/32 tread left. After the alignment, will test on some of the groovy stretches (I5 Portland-Seattle has some test stretches where I first took notice of the problem). If acceptable, I may just be able to hold on to these tires for a little longer before I check out the ones suggested, probably the Michelin 255/45. Thanks Larz.

Will update once I get the alignment done this weekend.

EniGmA1987

Infian wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:44 pm
Thank you for all the suggestions. Very much appreciate it!

Checked alignment today. Nice call Azhitman. Total Toe is out of spec, both front and rear. Camber is in spec. Will also take a look at the custom alignment link that pico and Enigma were referring to.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS that were on the vehicle when I purchased, still have around 7/32 tread left. After the alignment, will test on some of the groovy stretches (I5 Portland-Seattle has some test stretches where I first took notice of the problem). If acceptable, I may just be able to hold on to these tires for a little longer before I check out the ones suggested, probably the Michelin 255/45. Thanks Larz.

Will update once I get the alignment done this weekend.
The stock tires do tend to have more tramlining that other, better tires. But as you said with a proper alignment it might be acceptable levels. From what I remember, stock tires last a LONG time, so at 7/32 (isnt that full life?) you may have anywhere from 20-30k left in them. lol
I believe I have the Michelin Pilot A/S3 in 255/35R20 size. I have larger rims so thats why the R20. I also love the extra grip of the 255 width. You can run it fine on stock rims in 40 or 45 height. 35 height would be for extra cornering performance at the expense of a more bumpy ride.
When picking new tires, from what I remember you want to make sure the tires have a rating of more than 97 load capacity. Our cars are heavy. That spec is very easy to find in a 255/40 config though.

IMO, these would be the "go to" tires:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... toModClar=

I havent specifically used the DWS06 model, only the older DWS. However the one thing I hated about the old DWS was that grip fell off a cliff when you got past half tire life. I hope that issue is fixed on the DWS06 model. The Pilot A/S3 has not had that problem for me.

EDIT: Those are all for 19" rims. Dont know if you have that or the 18" ones. So here they are in 18" size with proper load rating:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... &tab=Sizes

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”