2008 EX35 fishtailing around corners on wet pavement

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Vroom!
Car: 2008 AWD EX35 Journey

I am at a loss, and more than disappointed. I love my new-to-me 2008 EX35 AWD Journey, except A: gas mileage (13 mpg) and B: it fishtails all over the place when cornering on wet pavement. (Seems a lot slower than my Volvo C30 R too.) I like to drive fast, I have to admit, and enjoy a novice's good handling and capabilities in a car, but wanted safer handling for carting around a new granddaughter. I swear I have to slow to around 5 mph to corner. It is such a bummer (not to mention embarrassing).

Tire people swear my all-seasons are fine, but this poor handling is not acceptable, and can't be normal for this car. Reviews said it handles well, in fact. I don't want to do any non-OEM modifications, but what could be causing this crappy handling? I also have a question about the key fob, but I'll put that in a different topic.

Thanks in advance!

CDNicecube
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey+Tech+Navi

Hi,

Not fun indeed for you. I have a EX35, 2010, AWD and it handles very well around corners, rain or snow. Sure the stability control system does kick in when I turn too fast on ice or snow, but both the sliding and correction are very predictable, and reassuring. Is your stability control system intervening when this happens?

I have driven in most inclement fall/winter weather in Canada, going with my boys to hockey tournaments in ‘small town’ Canada. If any if you understand this type of driving, you’ll know what I mean (police only allow AWD cars with snow tire through). Yes I have used the snow button more than once. It has been solid and safe. In fact, in large snow storms, I only drive the EX and leave my front wheel drive Lexus at home

I can only suggest that either there is something wrong with the tires (the OEM were not too good, but not bad enough to have to slow down to 5mph!), the alignment, or the suspension components (worm bushings). I would start with the tires as must likely culprit.

I have both “all seasons” and winter tires that I swap every fall/spring.

Good luck.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

I agree with everything said by CDNicecube.

I never had any issues with unpredictable handling when I had my '08. I was never able to get the rear of the car loose, as the stability control system would kick in to keep things in check. The worst I've been able to do is get some mild understeer on old all-season tires in the cold.

Like it was mentioned, tires would be the first thing to look at. Sure, they may have lots of remaining tread depth. But how old are they? Check the manufacturing date code on the sidewall of all 4 tires. What are the brand and model? Not every all-season tire model is created equally.

Yes, suspension setup and condition could also have an affect on your car's handling. After all, the car is over 10 years old. If you know for sure the tires aren't the problem, get the suspension checked out. Shocks could be worn, alignment could be off, or perhaps even a sway bar link has disconnected.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

It is your tires, without the slightest doubt...

I had Pirelli's when I first got the EX (RWD) and it spun all over the place on wet roads. Scary.
I changed to BFG's a year or two ago and that (unintentional) fishtailing ceased immediately.

Oh, and my RWD EX35 would smoke your C30 R. :werd:

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

Vroom! wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:32 pm
I know this is an old post, but I submitted a new one and got no response. I have had exactly the same experience as the initial poster here. I bought the car (2008 EX35 AWD Journey) with all-season Yokohama Avid Ascend P225/60 R17 98H tires. The tire store insists that they are not worn, and don't need to be replaced. I slip around a corner that is only wet with rain like nobody's business (and fishtail if I'm going more than about 15 mph). Should also mention that the VDC button doesn't light either way. (Can't really tell from the button height what is on and what is off.)

Does anyone have any other ideas, if it isn't the tires? If there is also something wrong with my AWD, I suppose it is going to be expensive...

Thanks!
Tires are one of those things that can dramatically impact the character of a vehicle. The Yokohamas you have on the car are fine for many people, but there are tires out there that are better suited to your type of driving. If it's that much of an issue to you, I'd definitely look into replacing the Yokohamas first. You didn't give your location and didn't say much about your typical climate and range of weather conditions other than rain; so I wouldn't know what to recommend. But if you want something that does well in the rain, you already know that the Avid Ascends aren't right for you. Tirerack's tire test results confirm this as well (see the wet test data in the test results charts): https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/ch ... p?ttid=166

I don't recall any forum members here who have used these Yokohamas on their EX. But if you'd like to see what other tires they've tried check out the big replacement tire thread here:
https://forums.nicoclub.com/ex35-replac ... 62094.html

Vroom!

Thank you, Guys (and Gals?), for all of the helpful advice. I am in Portland, so we are talking rain, and rain, and rain. :) (It grows on you.)

"I was never able to get the rear of the car loose..." NJGuy, quit bragging! I'm so jealous!

I just got new rear shocks, front struts supposedly fine. The front rotors are warped, but will be fixed with new pads later. Don't think this would contribute, though it is causing some shuddering when I decelerate from high speed.

On one hand I'm glad this problem is not common to this car generally. Reassuring. Yet on the hand it means my car is handicapped. I will definitely look into tires, and invest as soon as I can. It would be great if that is the problem, as most people are suggesting, and the tire people deny. That would be an easy fix.

And XIS, maybe your RWD EX35 could smoke my C30, but mine sure can't. Wah! :cry:

Anyway, thanks everybody!

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

:)
After you get your tires changed (if that's what you end up doing), give her a little tune up. New plugs, clean the MAF sensors, clean the throttle bodies (be careful when you do that not to open up the butterfly valve) maybe drop in a couple K&N filters... When I did this at around 90K or so, there was a HUGE difference in performance and throttle response. (plus I have a little less restrictive G37s coupe exhaust that probably helps a touch too)

Vroom!

Thank you. I'll do that!

asoomal
Car: 2001 Subaru Impreza L 5MT (Daily)
1992 Nissan 240SX SE 5MT w/HICAS (Being restored)

What kind of tires are these? I wouldn't mind having a pair of those on the rear axle on my Subaru.

sherwooa
Car: 2012 BMW E92 M3
2004 G35 Coupe 6MT (sold)
2008 EX35 AWD Journey
2011 Nissan Murano SL

I will say that the tires that came on our 2008 EX35 Journey (put on by prior owner) are very good for an affordable all-season performance tire, and handle well in all conditions without any slip in corners. They are Sumitomo HTR A/S P02's:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... R8HTRASP02

I have to say, I don't usually venture outside the major tire brands (Michelin, Conti, Pirelli) for any of our cars, but these tires have been really good in all conditions and when they wear out will probably replace them with another set.

Vroom!

Thanks, sherwooa!

For some reason I am not getting emails to notify me of new answers. Seems like that must be available. going to check my settings...

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”