EX35 Replacement Tires

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
simfree
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

I have a 2008 EX35 Journey AWD with the stock Michelins (225/60/17). I'm down to 3/32 tread and I'm considering replacing them with the Michelin Defender. Would this be a good all season replacement tire? The Defender is T speed rated so hopefully that isn't an issue considering the original stock Michelins are V rated?

Let me know if you have suggestions on other good replacement tires. I live in North Carolina so driving in snow isn't too much of a concern.

XIS
Car: 08 EX35 RWD
17 QX30 Sport

I have Pirelli P6 Four Seasons Plus that were just installed before I bought my EX. They are pretty decent. A little slippery when the roads are damp (just a few times a year here). They seem to be wearing great. V rating. Look nice. great treadwear rating. I think I am happy with them.

My RDX came with Michelins stock and they lasted just 30K. noisy too...
I installed Yokohama YK520s and they seem to wear much faster than the Pirellis.

I would stick with a V rated tire with A ratings on traction and temp. Pay attention to the wear ratings.
Last edited by XIS on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

beteez
Car: 2008 ex35

Have been very happy with Yokohama Avid Ascend. V rated all season grand touring $125/corner from tire rack.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

simfree wrote:I have a 2008 EX35 Journey AWD with the stock Michelins (225/60/17). I'm down to 3/32 tread and I'm considering replacing them with the Michelin Defender. Would this be a good all season replacement tire? The Defender is T speed rated so hopefully that isn't an issue considering the original stock Michelins are V rated?
Depending on the kind of driving you do, a T rated tire might be OK. I am a little bit averse to risk and prefer not to drop down more than one speed rating below the OEM tires. It seems like other EX owners like the 'performance' aspect of their vehicle, and might consider a drop to a T rated tire sacrilege :) .

Also, when thinking about the speed rating, you might want to also consider the installation aspect. For liability reasons, many shops will refuse to install tires that don't have the same or higher speed rating than the OEM tires. Now if you're just dealing with a small, corner garage where the owner is your buddy, then this probably isn't something you would worry about.
simfree wrote:I live in North Carolina so driving in snow isn't too much of a concern.
If snow isn't too much of a concern, you might even be able to get a tire that gives better dry and wet traction. Or you can choose a tire that doesn't do quite as well in the snow, but has other properties that you see as desirable.

I've got the same model year EX and tire that you do, and it looks like I'll be in your situation sometime soon. However, I'll be looking for something with decent winter traction. I'm not yet sure exactly what model I'm going to choose, but I'll go with a tire with either an H or V speed rating.

box_of_lego
Car: EX35

Hi All,

Bumping this thread as I am interested in updates /opinions on tires.

The dunlops are at the end of their life (yay) so its time to search for 225/55/18's .. has anyone played with the width or aspect ratio ? seems the best deal is always a 235/55 or or 225/60 !

atlanta11

I can speak to using both the MXV4 and MXM4's-they are both good options with the MXM4's being a bit more sporty and with less tread life. They are both fairly quiet with excellent wet grip and dont hydroplane easily

stickface

Any thoughts on Toyo Versado CUVs?

Dunlops are looking due at nearly 30k on a 2008.

just1gary

I got 48K with the OEM Michelin's on a 08 model and replaced them with a Yokohama YK580. Speed rating is H, traction & temp are A, with a 60K warranty. Just got the new tires the other day, so I can't report how they are working out yet, hopefully I get close to the warranty millage.

webster

I have put Michelins Primacy MXV4 225/15/18 98W Grand Touring all Season on my wifes 2010 EX 35....what a difference from the stock garbage Dunlops ! If you are looking for a softer quiet ride that is the tire or the new Bridgestone Serenity Plus.
Check the ratings on the Tire Rack website.

Also, I traded my G37x Coupe 2011 for the 2013 EX37 and putting the new Bridgestone on the EX37 when it arrives this month.

FYI the michelins have over 21,000 km on the Ex 35 and hardly worn !

Webby

googleman

Anyone used run flats on their EX? I have a 2008 AWD, which came with Michelins. I am shopping for replacement tires at the moment. If there is not much performance loss, I'd like to try run flats. one option is Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flats, which seems to get good reviews.

OhThatGuy
Car: Next Car: M56 Sport
Past Cars:
2013 Dodge Charger SRT8
2011 Infiniti EX35
C63 AMG, E55 AMG, FX45, TT '93 Supras (2)

googleman wrote:Anyone used run flats on their EX? I have a 2008 AWD, which came with Michelins. I am shopping for replacement tires at the moment. If there is not much performance loss, I'd like to try run flats. one option is Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flats, which seems to get good reviews.
Keep in mind that runflats tend to be heavier. I've been rolling around with 285/35/20 Dunlop runflats on the back of my EX for the last month or so. Even though my non-factory 20"X9.5" wheels are very light for their size, the runflat tires were so much heavier that the overall weight of each rear wheel+tire was up about 11 lbs. over the factory 18"x8" + 225/55/18 set up.

I'm going to the same wheels for my front two shortly and swapping out the runflats to go with Toyo Proxes 4 Plus tires in 275/40/20. Each of the Toyos is 10 lbs. lighter than the Dunlop 285's! It gets the oversize wheel+tire combo right back to the overall weight of the OEM set up but with a much bigger contact patch.

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

webster wrote:I have put Michelins Primacy MXV4 225/15/18 98W Grand Touring all Season on my wifes 2010 EX 35....what a difference from the stock garbage Dunlops !

Webby
I'm looking forward to doing this also.

EXceptional

I ordered my 225/55R-18 Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires from Tirerack.

They should be here on the 19th of March.

I'll be doing some Rim swapping as the Rims I like best, have my Pirelli Sottozero Winter Tires on right now.

Total cost for the 225/55R-18 Michelin Primacy MXV4 shipped to my door is $878.28

Rated Number one in the Grand Touring All-Season tire survey.

So long shi-tty Dunlop tires.

webster

EXceptional wrote:I ordered my 225/55R-18 Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires from Tirerack.

They should be here on the 19th of March.

I'll be doing some Rim swapping as the Rims I like best, have my Pirelli Sottozero Winter Tires on right now.

Total cost for the 225/55R-18 Michelin Primacy MXV4 shipped to my door is $878.28

Rated Number one in the Grand Touring All-Season tire survey.

So long shi-tty Dunlop tires.
Let us know how you like the new tires.

box_of_lego

Well I'm sitting at the dealership (coffee and cookies !) looking at 2013 EX37 (same everything as mine... only mines cleaner !)
Anyway .. new rear brakes .. and tires are toast for sure... milked 6 month more than I thought I could out of them .. (can see air on both side of the tread!)
Dealer has Michlin "take offs" so unused tires peeled of a new car at 235 each ... hmmm ..
pretty sure I'm going Michlin , like many others

DolphinC
Car: 2010 EX35 Journey
With all the inside goodies.

I just bought Michlin Defenders and they seem to be extremely good tires, cruising at 85 I can barely hear the road and tracktion is excellent here in hot, flat Florida. Also comes with a 90,000 mile warranty which doesn't hurt.

EXceptional

Yea, I wanted to get the Defenders too... but TireRack said they don't have the same Speed Rating as what came OEM on the EX35.

Which is kinda stupid... cause I'm not going 120 mph anytime soon either.

NJGuy

EXceptional wrote:Yea, I wanted to get the Defenders too... but TireRack said they don't have the same Speed Rating as what came OEM on the EX35.

I've always found that the tirerack website shows both H and V rated tires for cars that come with V rated OEM tires (at least for the cars that I've had to buy tires for). The Defenders won't show up because they're T rated.

I don't think I would mind having a T rated tire on a car that came with V rated OEM tires if the tire model performed well in all aspects. However, the one thing that holds me back would be the safety factor. H (and higher) rated tires are typically constructed differently than lower rated tires. The construction reduces both stresses and heat generation within the tire. In turn, it reduces the likelihood of tire failure. While my wife and I won't be driving at speeds anywhere close to even the S speed rating, the higher rated tires would be less prone to failure in the event of low pressure or on a hot day. I believe this especially holds true as the tires age.

The only time I may consider dropping down more than one speed rating from OEM is if I were to buy winter tires. In this case, I'd be trading off one safety aspect for another.

Now do I think the Michelin Defenders are unsafe? No. Who knows, they might even be able to pass the H speed rating test; but Michelin decided to assign them a T rating. I think that they're pretty good tires, but I guess they're just not the tires for me (which is unfortunate, because they're a pretty good model that's available in my EX's size).

rtk
Car: Infiniti EX 35

EXceptional wrote:Yea, I wanted to get the Defenders too... but TireRack said they don't have the same Speed Rating as what came OEM on the EX35.

I also got the Michelin Primacy MXV4s (18" wheel) about 20k miles and 2 winters ago. My original Dunlops started to make all kinds of awful noises at 35k, and were really stiff. The Primacy is a softer ride and quiet; also handles really well in rain and snow. How're you liking them so far?

EXceptional

I haven't put them on yet.

I'm waiting for Winter to end.

They are still sitting piled up four high at my Front Door, where UPS dropped them off.

I noticed that they have the Green X (Low Rolling Resistance Tire) rating on them too... even tho the TIRERACK site doesn't mention it, for this size.

EXceptional

I got them installed.

Love them, love them, love them !!!!!

jmann
Car: 2017 Mercedes GLC300 4matic
2015 Infiniti QX70 AWD

My EX has 27k miles on it, and within the past month I have picked up nails in the sidewalls of 2 of the stock dunlops, so they were each replaced at the dealer for the $50 road hazard deductible. Since there is only a year left on the lease I'll probably just end up getting 2 more dunlops for the front since they all have to match and have a certain amount of tread remaining. Surely these 2 new ones will have enough life left in a year to pass inspection.

box_of_lego

Okay then ,
I recently purchased Yokohama "Avid Envigor's" 18"
Frankly they were the best priced tire that fit manufactures' specs, including v speed rating , I noticed the winter ratings in many reviews were low.. like 6 out of 10 , but I figure I did two winters with worn dunlops and had no issues , so how bad can fresh all- seasons be?

They look good, and at under $1000.00cdn all in , warranty and an alignment .. its all good.
For the Canadian / winter types out there , lets talk in January :poke:

cheers

NJGuy

Now that the tires on my EX are worn to just about 4/32 after 5 1/2 years and 50K miles, I figure that it's time to start shopping for tires. For the first time, I experienced a small amount of slip in the wet in the EX (though on a tight downhill curve). My wife and I have both been pretty happy with the OEM Michelins (225/60R17 Latitude Tour HP), and I'm looking for a replacement set that will perform just as well, if not better. With a new job, my wife is going to start driving the EX a lot more than she does now, and will therefore be putting much more mileage on the car.

The OEM size and speed rating (V) kind of limit the tire choices available, so I decided to cross shop different sized and H speed rated tires as well. I typically don't like to stray from the OEM tire size, but it looks like I have a couple more nice choices when doing so.

Here are the tires I've seriously looked at (in order of preference):
Top Tier
1. Michelin Primacy MXV4, 235/55R17 99H SL
2. Nokian WRG2 SUV, 235/60R17 106V XL
Second Tier
3. Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring, 225/60R17 98H SL
4. Continental PureContact, 235/55R17 99H SL
5. Michelin Latitude Tour HP, 235/55R17 99H SL
Third Tier
6. Goodyear Assurance TripleTread, 225/60R17 98H SL
7. Michelin Latitude Tour HP, 225/60R17 98V SL (OEM)
8. Nokian WRG3, 235/55R17 103V XL

Without getting into too much detail, here are a couple of my notes on each tire. (The inner 'geek' in me actually put together a spreadsheet with the physical specifications of each model.) Please note that these are just my opinions, and not cold hard facts.

Michelin Primacy MXV4, 235/55R17
Although it's not the OEM tire size, I'm leaning towards these Michelins for a number of reasons. It's been pretty much the top rated all-season tire for a few years. Also, I had this tire on a previous vehicle and was incredibly satisfied with the performance. On top of that, Michelins tend to have less balance issues than other brands and they seem to "age gracefully". What I mean here is that their performance seems to degrade slowly and very gradually as they age and wear. I've noticed that the performance of other brand tires kind of fall off a cliff after a certain amount of time. I don't like to come off as a Michelin 'fanboy', but I always appreciate a good quality product. While this brand tends to be significantly more expensive than the others, the Primacy model I'm looking at doesn't cost all that much more than the other tires I'm looking at; pricewise, they're actually in the middle of all the tires I've considered.

Nokian WRG2 SUV, 235/60R17
A close second to the Primacy, I liked the "all weather" designation this tire carries. I'm sure the winter weather performance of this tire is superior to the Primacy. However, the Primacy seems to perform well enough in winter weather. And I think the Primacy would do better and last a bit longer when used year-round when compared to these Nokians. Two of my co-workers have owned the WRG2 SUV, and they experienced a noticeable decrease in wet traction after a while (maybe 2 years or so?), even with plenty of tread remaining. Note that I picked the 235/60 size; the standard 225/60 size is available, but it's a full 1 inch shorter (diameter) than the OEM tires. For some reason that bothered me a bit. Looking into this a bit further, the 235/55 tires in the group I looked at are actually taller than the 235/60 WRG2 SUV tires. These were just a few knocks I found on what I otherwise think is a good tire with a really good reputation.

Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring, 225/60R17
This seemed to be a pretty good tire, with an incredibly good treadlife. I put it in the second tier because they don't seem to perform that great in the wet.

Continental PureContact, 235/55R17
This is a new model that, on paper, competes very well with the Primacy. However, the last time I bought a set of new model Continental tires that looked good on paper, I had a bit of buyer's remorse. It left me with a small amount of regret for not spending some extra money on the competing Michelin model. Maybe the next time I shop for the EX's tires, these Continentals will have an established reputation and I'll revisit this model; I prefer not to be an early adopter of new models.

Michelin Latitude Tour HP, 235/55R17
While I've been happy with the Latitude Tour HP model, these cost a good amount more than the other models I looked at. When comparing both the pricing and specs, the Primacy looks like the better buy.

Goodyear Assurance TripleTread, 225/60R17
The TripleTread tires typically have better traction in most conditions than their Comfortread counterparts. But I am a bit concerned about how noisy they can be. I also prefer non-directional tires that can be easily rotated to each side of the car. I recall that the old TripleTreads took a big bite out of gas mileage, but perhaps Goodyear may have rectified that with this model?

Michelin Latitude Tour HP, 225/60R17
Yes, these are the tires I currently have. These are the highest priced model in the group, and in addition, have the requirement of being special ordered (hence, very limited availability). No thanks.

Nokian WRG3, 235/55R17
Well, this tire was a bit of a stretch from the beginning. I think that the WRG2's are being phased out and I thought I'd look at the WRG3's. They haven't released the SUV version of the WRG3's yet. Anyway, these are much more expensive than the WRG2's I was looking at.

I'm almost dead set on pulling the trigger on the Primacy MXV4 tires. But if anyone wishes to share their opinions and comments on any of the tires I mentioned, or on my planned deviation from OEM tire specs, I'm open to listen. Thanks for reading.

EXceptional

If you're happy with what you had before, why deviate?

Get another set.

NJGuy

EXceptional wrote:If you're happy with what you had before, why deviate?
Well, the fault I see with the OEM size Latitude Tour HP tires is that they are a special order item; and the only place I've found them was on the Discount Tire Direct website. They say that it'll take approximately 10-14 business days to get them. I'm not bothered by the delay in receiving them if I were to order a set. However, my biggest concern would be obtaining a replacement tire if I ever had a problem with one. While I myself could probably deal with the 2-3 week wait for a replacement, my wife would find that absolutely unacceptable, especially since the EX is her daily driver. Most of the other tires I looked at would probably take at most 3 days to find a replacement if the specific model is not back ordered, and the actual wait is typically 1 day. I'm sure that the chances of encountering a problem with the tire are probably miniscule; but if one does occur, I would prefer the favorable situation (as would my wife :whip :biggrin: ) of having a replacement readily available.

Although I have ordered tires over the internet in the past, I have been patronizing a tire shop not far from where I work for a while now. It's easier for me to deal with them in case I have an issue with the tires I purchased there. It also helps that their out-the-door price (tires, mounting, balancing, taxes, & disposal) is about the same as only tires + shipping when ordering from TireRack. With the tires ordered from the web, I still have to pay for installation.

Bill G
Car: 2005 G35x

NJGuy wrote:Nokian WRG2 SUV, 235/60R17
A close second to the Primacy, I liked the "all weather" designation this tire carries. I'm sure the winter weather performance of this tire is superior to the Primacy. However, the Primacy seems to perform well enough in winter weather. And I think the Primacy would do better and last a bit longer when used year-round when compared to these Nokians. Two of my co-workers have owned the WRG2 SUV, and they experienced a noticeable decrease in wet traction after a while (maybe 2 years or so?), even with plenty of tread remaining. Note that I picked the 235/60 size; the standard 225/60 size is available, but it's a full 1 inch shorter (diameter) than the OEM tires. For some reason that bothered me a bit. Looking into this a bit further, the 235/55 tires in the group I looked at are actually taller than the 235/60 WRG2 SUV tires. These were just a few knocks I found on what I otherwise think is a good tire with a really good reputation.

Nokian WRG3, 235/55R17
Well, this tire was a bit of a stretch from the beginning. I think that the WRG2's are being phased out and I thought I'd look at the WRG3's. They haven't released the SUV version of the WRG3's yet. Anyway, these are much more expensive than the WRG2's I was looking at.
I live in northern Michigan and have used Nokian WRs as my dedicated winter tire for many years, and not only are they superior to the Primacy (it's not even close), they are a superior winter tire to just about anything out there. They are technically an all-season, but they have earned the severe use symbol (mountain and snowflake). They are great in the snow and cold, but the reason they are superior as a winter tire is that you don't have to worry about taking them off when the temps go up. A tire like the Blizzak, which is great in the snow, will wear out fairly quickly on warm pavement. With the Nokians you don't have to worry about that. My sisters all live in a snow climate, and every one of them wears Nokian WRs in the winter.

The reason winter tires work isn't because of their tread pattern, it's because they're made of a softer compound that stays pliable in cold weather. The tread helps, but it's meaningless if the rubber is super hard because of the temps. Most dedicated winter tires have this softer compound only on the outer half of their tread depth, so when they are half worn down, they basically turn into a standard all-season tire and lose most of their effectiveness as a snow tire. Nokians, OTOH, have the softer compound throughout the entire tread depth, so they stay effective for quite a bit longer. They are more expensive than some winter tires, but they're the same price as Blizzaks. However, they last quite a bit longer than a dedicated winter tire, and you don't have to worry about wearing them in the warmer, late spring weather, so the extra price is worth it.

I currently drive a 2005 G35x, but I'm thinking about getting either an EX35 or FX35. One thing I'm not liking about either one is the very, very poor selection of tires available in their respective sizes. (Why, WHY does Nissan/Infiniti continue to use such odd sized tires!!!) The FX is hopeless with it's 265/60-18s. You're stuck with essentially truck/SUV tires. The EX has a few more size options, but we lost one of the best replacements a year or two ago when Bridgestone stopped making the Potenza RE960AS. It came in 245/50-18, which fits the EX perfectly. But the RE970AS that replaced it doens't come in that size, so the EX is stuck with a tire like the Primacy.

FYI, the Nokian WR series comes in every size that will fit the EX or FX. It might be a G2, G3, or G2 SUV, but they do have it. If I buy either vehicle, that will be my tire of choice.

NJGuy

Bill G wrote:
I live in northern Michigan and have used Nokian WRs as my dedicated winter tire for many years, and not only are they superior to the Primacy (it's not even close), they are a superior winter tire to just about anything out there. They are technically an all-season, but they have earned the severe use symbol (mountain and snowflake). They are great in the snow and cold, but the reason they are superior as a winter tire is that you don't have to worry about taking them off when the temps go up. A tire like the Blizzak, which is great in the snow, will wear out fairly quickly on warm pavement. With the Nokians you don't have to worry about that. My sisters all live in a snow climate, and every one of them wears Nokian WRs in the winter.

The reason winter tires work isn't because of their tread pattern, it's because they're made of a softer compound that stays pliable in cold weather. The tread helps, but it's meaningless if the rubber is super hard because of the temps. Most dedicated winter tires have this softer compound only on the outer half of their tread depth, so when they are half worn down, they basically turn into a standard all-season tire and lose most of their effectiveness as a snow tire. Nokians, OTOH, have the softer compound throughout the entire tread depth, so they stay effective for quite a bit longer. They are more expensive than some winter tires, but they're the same price as Blizzaks. However, they last quite a bit longer than a dedicated winter tire, and you don't have to worry about wearing them in the warmer, late spring weather, so the extra price is worth it.

FYI, the Nokian WR series comes in every size that will fit the EX or FX. It might be a G2, G3, or G2 SUV, but they do have it. If I buy either vehicle, that will be my tire of choice.
Yes, I know that both tread design and compound are the primary factors that contribute to a winter tire's performance in the cold, snow, and on ice. And I'm familiar with how the WRs bridge the gap between all-season and winter tires. In northern MI I would think that winter weather would be a bit harsher when compared to the Garden State, especially since you're sitting between two big lakes :) . So I understand why you like the Nokians. I'm not against the tires, as I actually put them on my mother-in-law's CRV as a year-round tire.

You say that you're using the WRs as a dedicated winter tire. I'm not looking to use separate summer/winter sets just yet. I'm addressing the immediate need to get a good all-around tire to replace the worn OEM set on the car right now. I think WRs are a good tire, but I prefer the Primacy MXV4s.

I am actually still contemplating whether or not to get a set of separate rims and winter tires for the EX. It depends on a bunch of things, mostly being: the work schedule, flexibility, severe weather policy and telework policy at my wife's new job; and the price and availability of a compatible set of rims. If my wife won't have to be on the road during a storm, then it might not be worth getting a set of winter wheels.

Now if I were to decide to go with two sets, I would very likely pick the Nokian WRs as my first choice for the winter set.

By the way, I don't think I would get 'performance' summer tires and 'winter only' tires for my 2 sets because the weather is so erratic sometimes: October snowstorms, and Aprils with temperatures both below freezing and above 80F. I'd find it bothersome to have to switch the wheels back and forth in those months when the weather transitions, and I wouldn't want to be using the wrong tires at the wrong time either. :)

Thanks for your comments. :cool:

TimGinCentralNJ
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX Journey AWD

NJGuy wrote: Yes, I know that both tread design and compound are the primary factors that contribute to a winter tire's performance in the cold, snow, and on ice. And I'm familiar with how the WRs bridge the gap between all-season and winter tires. In northern MI I would think that winter weather would be a bit harsher when compared to the Garden State, especially since you're sitting between two big lakes :) . So I understand why you like the Nokians. I'm not against the tires, as I actually put them on my mother-in-law's CRV as a year-round tire.

You say that you're using the WRs as a dedicated winter tire. I'm not looking to use separate summer/winter sets just yet. I'm addressing the immediate need to get a good all-around tire to replace the worn OEM set on the car right now. I think WRs are a good tire, but I prefer the Primacy MXV4s.

I am actually still contemplating whether or not to get a set of separate rims and winter tires for the EX. It depends on a bunch of things, mostly being: the work schedule, flexibility, severe weather policy and telework policy at my wife's new job; and the price and availability of a compatible set of rims. If my wife won't have to be on the road during a storm, then it might not be worth getting a set of winter wheels.

Now if I were to decide to go with two sets, I would very likely pick the Nokian WRs as my first choice for the winter set.

By the way, I don't think I would get 'performance' summer tires and 'winter only' tires for my 2 sets because the weather is so erratic sometimes: October snowstorms, and Aprils with temperatures both below freezing and above 80F. I'd find it bothersome to have to switch the wheels back and forth in those months when the weather transitions, and I wouldn't want to be using the wrong tires at the wrong time either. :)

Thanks for your comments. :cool:
Hey NJGuy-

Not sure if you've pulled the trigger yet or not, but I'm over in Bloomsbury (Hunterdon County) and we have the same year/model EX and I've been running the Nokian WRG2's (in stock size) for a little over a year now and still love 'em. If you're curious to see how they handle on our cars in dry weather before you buy, let's meet up for a coffee and you can drive my EX.

Personally, I'm a Michelin fan as well, but I think these tires are as close to a perfect "all season" tire as you'll find...bar none. Sure, they're not quite as crisp as a dedicated summer tire (or even the stock Michelins...although mine were 3 years old when I bought my EX), but the minor trade-off is well worth the confidence and capability they bring in wet and winter conditions IMO.

Tim

NJGuy

TimGinCentralNJ wrote: Hey NJGuy-

Not sure if you've pulled the trigger yet or not, but I'm over in Bloomsbury (Hunterdon County) and we have the same year/model EX and I've been running the Nokian WRG2's (in stock size) for a little over a year now and still love 'em. If you're curious to see how they handle on our cars in dry weather before you buy, let's meet up for a coffee and you can drive my EX.

Personally, I'm a Michelin fan as well, but I think these tires are as close to a perfect "all season" tire as you'll find...bar none. Sure, they're not quite as crisp as a dedicated summer tire (or even the stock Michelins...although mine were 3 years old when I bought my EX), but the minor trade-off is well worth the confidence and capability they bring in wet and winter conditions IMO.

Tim
Tim,

I'll have to decline your invitation for coffee for a few reasons:
1. I'm not a coffee drinker, and I don't care too much for caffeinated beverages :) .
2. I don't know how much time you have on your hands, but I probably have less than you. :squint:
3. And the primary reason is yes, I did pull the trigger: what-did-you-buy-your-ex-this-week-t541 ... l#p6490334

I am interested to see how the Nokians wear. I thought I recall you saying that you don't put that many miles on your EX, so it was tough to judge the treadwear. I think my wife will probably put at least 18K miles per year on her EX, so it seemed to me the Michelins were a bit of a safer bet given my past experience with them.

I brought my mother-in-law's third-gen Honda CRV to the tire shop last fall to get the WRG2's installed. I also drove the car back home. But since that was probably the last time I was behind the wheel of her car, I really haven't had a chance to evaluate them compared to the last set of all-seasons she had. I also see her car about twice a month, so I can catch a glimpse of the tire treadwear. CRVs of that generation have been known to wear out their tires somewhat quickly, so her car seems like a good case study for me. I recommended the Nokians to her because she cannot telework, the municipalities she drives through do a really crappy job of clearing the roads in the winter (compared to where we live), and she occasionally has to drop off or pick up grandkids.

I still might look into the possibility of getting the Nokians & some rims for the winter. However, for the cost of those, my wife might prefer to treat herself to an entry level handbag from a European designer :ohno: :chuckle: . I'll have to see if I can get her to feel the same passion I have for car related items and hope that it overcomes her passion for designer goods. :)

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”