2002 Pathfinder starting problems

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
nvhills
Car: 2002 Pathfinder LE

Newbie here and first post. Let me just say this forum helped me to find out the problem with the driver's seat last year. I got the info on how to purchase the seat kit and I put it in and the seat moves just fine now.
We have a 2002 Pathfinder LE 2wd we bought new and it has 19,000 miles on it so it had sat long periods at a second home. We have it at our home here in No. Nevada now and it tends to sit in the winter as the wife doesn't want to drive it in the snow. The battery went flat this winter and I installed a new battery and now it has starting problems. Sometimes it will start and other times just crank. After we got it started the other day the wife drove it around the valley for about 25 miles while I followed her and it ran fine even up to 75mph. Tried starting it a couple hours later and it would start to fire and die. I put the charger on it with the 200amp start and it started.
I have searched the threads on this subject and wonder if this car needs to go to the dealer which is about an hour away or do you think a local auto repair shop would have the knowhow to handle this. I put the code reader on it and it is showing no codes. I would appreciate any input.

Hombre909
Car: 03 Pathfinder LE

Is there any corrosion on the spark plugs?

qx4_girl
Car: 2003 Infiniti QX4 4x4

I had some issues here and there when I bought my QX4 because it sat before I bought it. It would make that annoying clicking noise like crap spark plugs. Strangely, after time and it turned into my daily driver, it hasn't had this issue since and it's been a few months now.

It sounds so dumb or stupid, but daily use fixed the problem as I did absolutely nothing to correct the issue. Maybe she should try that. If all else fails and my advice hasn't worked, something else may be going on. It's the little things that count, honest to God. Give it a whirl at least and see where it takes you.

Upgrayedd
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE RWD

Check the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure damper. They both look similar (damper has a hose attached) and are easily accessible. Both have a small rubber vacuum line going to them. Carefully remove each vacuum line and if it is wet inside with fuel then that part is bad. If either is bad then I would suggest replacing both.

My '02 LE had a similar starting issue and both parts were bad. As soon as I replaced both parts it fired right up and the problem is gone.

topic618751.html

success-story-replaced-fuel-pressure-re ... 89289.html

topic619022.html

http://perfektadrenalin.blogspot.com/20 ... lator.html

nvhills
Car: 2002 Pathfinder LE

Thanks for the responses. When the car starts it runs great it is smooth and no black exhaust. Since we have to get the recall on the airbag done the wife wants to take it to the dealer to get it looked at. I went to a couple of local shops and didn't get a good feeling and don't want to pay for tons of labor and throwing parts at it.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”