1996 i30t - Climate Control Code 23

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
CJ74
Car: 1996 I30t

Hello all - newbie here.

Just did a fairly thorough search through all of the blower motor related issues within the Maxima/i30/i35 forum and there is a lot of talk about the resistor and amplifier, yet no one has mentioned the thermal transmitter (ECTS - coolant temp sensor).

So, here's my deal - my '96 i30t blower motor quit. Took the motor out, tested it and it runs out of the car. So, I followed the self-diagnostic procedures laid out within the factory service manual and I get the '23' code - thermal transmitter.

Here's my question - can a malfunctioning ECTS truly cause my blower motor to not function at all, on any speed? I've read that if it's a resistor issue, the blower motor will generally fail to full speed, not just quit working. Any help would be appreciated!

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

On most cars with digital climate control, the blower is disabled when coolant temp is below a set threshold, but that should only prevent the blower from operating in "auto" mode, and when you're requesting heat.

I don't know the code numbers off the top of my head, but it's possible that it's referring to a different sensor. Is there a diagnostic flowchart in the FSM for code 23?

Usually resistors fail and leave you with full speed. But that's not full proof, sometimes you loose everything, or the fuse blows when you lose one speed, then you lose them all.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”