1986 hardbody steering

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
Shawn Swigart
Car: 1986 hardbody

This is my 4th Nissan/ Datsun truck. High mileage chassis on this one. It has power steering. The steering is pretty tight and does not wander but does pull pretty bad to the left. (have not had alignment yet). The problems is that the front wheels seem to "hunt" through a turn and do not seem to have the proper stability once cornering forces are built up. I have done tie rod, idler are replacement in my previous trucks and was able to inspect the steering and be able to tell what was needed. ON this one I don't really see any looseness in the steering parts. I can not really find any slop. I have the truck on stands and don't find much play in the wheels themselves either. The steering "center" does not seem too bad. The only other thing I can find is that when the wheel is turned hard to the right and I hit a bump the ball joint seems to make a pop sound. Could this be a failed ball joint. Thanks to any one that can help

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Where do you have the stands placed?

Those use a loaded ball joint, you will need to load the suspension to check for looseness in the ball joints.

Move your stands to the control arms, outboard from the spring to load the front end. Push inward on the top of the wheel to check for looseness in the upper, and lift the wheel/tire assembly to check the lower.

Also, check the traction rod bushings.

Is this an early 86 or late 86 (720 or d21) ?

Shawn Swigart
Car: 1986 hardbody

Thanks for reply I did have the stands under the frame loading the top joint going to put them on the control arms and recheck. I did find that the outer tie rods turn pretty easily and are loose enough that they could be causing some symptoms. Still worried about the ball joints though. If I have to do any ball joints should I just go ahead and do all four or only what is needed?

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”