'06 M45 - Another possible RAS SLIP VDC fix

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
ambradley
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport

I searched the forum, but didn't turn up this possible cause. Apologies if it's been posted before.

The short version - check the blue and white relay (25230-79917) on the RAS control module (28505-EH100 or 28505-EH10A) in the trunk.

The long version - the RAS/SLIP/VDC lights came on in my '06 M45 with ~110k miles, and didn't clear. Cruise control stopped working. I eliminated the most common causes - low brake fluid, camshaft sensor, and the ABS wheel sensors (the fronts aren't difficult to replace, but it's a real pain in the rear - pun intended), I finally paid the dealer $150. They told me they think it's the RAS control module, mounted in the trunk. They wanted $1,500 for the part, plus an hour labor to install. I politely declined.

The RAS control module is mounted vertically in the trunk, inside the right fender. It's the top one of the two modules, held in place by three screws. A bit of disassembly in the trunk was required to get to the module, but it wasn't difficult. The control module has one big plug and a couple of small plugs, along with a white and blue relay. I unplugged the relay, thought about testing it, then plugged it back in. Lights were gone, and stayed gone for two months. Everything worked fine, including cruise control.

The lights came back last week, so I disassembled the trunk again. I did some testing to see if the symptoms changed depending on what was unplugged. With the big connector unplugged, the warning lights illuminated almost immediately, but only two of the three - SLIP and RAS. With just the relay removed, it behaved the same as before - the three lights came on after a couple of seconds.

I plugged the relay back in and the lights went away. I suspect I have a failing relay. The OEM part is about $17 on Amazon. I'll order one if the problem returns again.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Good work! Keep this thread updated!

MZH
Car: '06 M35 Sports

I just posted the same thread on this topics couple of weeks ago. Tried you process above and BOOM it worked.

Plugged/Unplugged the RSA relay first the RSA light went OFF then I shut off the car and started again and other two VDC/SLIP went away as well.

I will check if they turn back up again and will order the relay.

Next time you are in SFO Bay Area lunch is on me!!! Thanks a million.

ambradley
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport

Glad to hear it worked for you, too!

MZH

Update :)

Lights had been off last few days may be a week. This was with old relay after I pulled it out and plugged in.

Today I started the car and after few secs the lights were back on. So I decided to put the new relay in while the car was running. The lights stayed ON.
I shut down the car and started again and they were gone again.
Went out for a 100mile trip and even parked the car once and started with no issues.

While coming back all of a sudden the lights came back ON. This is with new relay. Reached home - shutdown the car and started again and lights were gone again.

If they appear again now I would suspect to look somewhere else in the electrical path.

MZH

The lights are back on. This is what i tried:

While car running plug/unplug relay and the RSA light went off
Shut car and start again and the other two went off
Now, after this when u shut and start car again all 3 came back on again.

I am lost right now...

lacrosse

I am haviong the sme issue. All three lights appear. However, the lights stay one - mostly. The big issue is that I loose power and have to stop the car and start it back up. Has anyone found root cause yet? My car is in the dealer - and they are stumped. $150.00 richer, but still stumped. Thanks everyone. John

EdBwoy

I'd say, the steering angle sensor is the most common issue. Well, at least the dealer can usually identify the problem first - ras-vdc-slip-steering-angle-sensor-t619955.html

Could you mention the year and model of your car? Does it have the swiveling headlights (AFS) and does that indicator or any others come on in the gauge cluster?

lacrosse

Edbwoy, thanks. My car is an 06' M45 Sport. Ras, Slip and VDC lights appear on. But when I drive on the highway - every now and then the car shuts off. I simply pull over and restart and the problem goes away for another 2-3 weeks. I am replacing the crank positioning sensor this weekend.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”