'05 Q - Tire pressure monitor issue

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
iamthewalrus
Car: '08 M45x

I have recently noticed the "tire pressure warning" light come on in the dashboard. When I go to check the tire pressure from info screen, all 4 tires show up as '**'.

Today I had to travel ~1.5 hours each way for work. At the start of each leg of the trip the tire pressure showed correctly, but what seems like after 1 hour, the warning light comes on and the individual tire pressures show as '**'. This also happened 1 week ago, and now that I think back about it, it was about 1 hour into the trip. I don't see this daily, as my normal commute/drives are less than 1 hour.

One thing to mention is that I had new tires installed 1 month ago from Costco. They did not touch the valve stems, so I can't imagine the tire change did it. Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated!

texasoil
Car: '92 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Infiniti Q45A
'94 Mercedes-Benz SL600

yup time to replace the TPMs They each have a battery and 6-7 years is a lifetime. Costco SHOULD have sold then to you at that time $20 each?

Uncle Brad
Car: 2003 Infiniti Q45

I know this is an old thread, but the OP is still active on the site. I'm having similar issues and I've put new tires/wheels/sensors on and it doesn't act any different now. Did you ever manage to solve your issue with the TPMS?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

With all 4 sensors blanking out, it seems more likely that's an issue with the BCM (or TPMS Controller if the car has a separate one). The simplest-cheapest way to find out is replace just one sensor, if the problem persists for all four then there's a global issue with the controller or antenna system.

Uncle Brad

The car does have a separate module and i put 4 new wheels with 4 new sensors on just a couple weeks ago with no change. Your suggestions are pretty reasonable and rational. I was hoping to find a smoking gun before buying questionable sensors online and tearing the dash apart to replace it only to find the 'new' module doesn't work either. I had hoped that someone had gotten a diagnosis that pin-pointed the problem. The dealer i went to wasn't able to get his Consult 3+ to communicate with the car. Luckily, the used ones i've found aren't very expensive so if it doesn't work, i'm not out a tremendous amount.

Cheers!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The only other thing it could be is a bad CAN connection between the TPMS Controller and either the BCM or cluster, but I kind of doubt that. Keep us posted.

Uncle Brad

the interesting thing is that it will still give a warning for low tire pressure and a flat tire even though it refuses to indicate tire pressure and gives a nuisance alarm routinely. :crazy:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That leaves out CAN, it has to be communicating. The Controller is really all that's left.

EdBwoy

Brad, I might have missed it, but has your TPMS system ever worked in your possession of the car? I wasn't sure if the car is new to you and you're just trying to straighten it out, or if the TPMS system became an issue only after the tire service.

Either way, I was going to suggest also checking the fuses, to eliminate these simple possibilities. The fuses of interest are 1, 5, 6, 9, 21 and 22 as shown in this link - 2002-q45-major-fuses-relays-and-modules ... l#p6786916

That's about it for the cheap DIY-at home stuff, the other possibilities as VStar has mentioned require the Nissan diagnostic tool. I also know that these were the old TPMS systems that required special wake-up & initializing steps.
What I don't know is whether Consult 3 is backwards compatible with all the systems that required Consult 2.

Uncle Brad

Thanks for the response and to answer your questions, the TPMS has had issues since i bought the car this summer. Initially the problem was that the tire pressure was slow to respond and i would consistently get an alarm after driving about 15km's (10 miles) stating that there was an issue with the system. The low tire pressure warning light would also appear on the dash. You could pull over and restart the car and it would clear, only to reappear a short while later. Strangely I had these alarms in and still received a flat tire warning once when i had a nail in a tire. Also when the temperature initially dipped here to near freezing, it gave a low tire pressure warning with both the system failure alarm in and the display showing no pressure indication. :werd:

The car had just over 100,000 km's (60,000 miles) when i bought it. It looked nearly new. It was stored during winters and only used in the summer for long trips. The owner knew nothing about cars and the dealer was hundreds of kilometers away so any maintenance was done locally by independent shops.

Initially i questioned whether the sensors batteries were dying. However i had tried numerous times to have the system reset using non-dealer gadgetry at local shops. Only once did this appear to have any effect and each time i was told that the sensors could be detected. The effect that i noticed was that the tire pressure was no longer displaying at all and the alarms would continue to come in with the same approximate frequency and reset upon restart.

I bought new winter rims/tires/sensors a couple weeks ago with the hope that something would change. So far...nada.

I've tried the resetting of the system using the method of grounding the wire under the dash and this has not produced any results. Although i could get the warning light on the dash to flash.

I've checked fuse 21 as suggested in the service manual that i have a copy of but will check the other fuses you mentioned.

From other sources, i'm told that Consult 3+ is supposed to be backwards compatible but actually isn't. The local dealer has a non-functioning Consult 2 system. I'm holding off on going to any further dealers until after trying the module i've ordered. There are no other Infiniti dealerships close by. The dealership that is close has only been in business for a year. They're also part of a conglomerate of other car dealerships and they share service advisors, shop foremen, salesmen etc. That means that virtually no one in the dealership has any experience with these cars. The Nav system doesn't even have them listed. :chuckle:

I should have the new module by the middle of next month. If you have any tips on replacing it, please throw them my way. It should be a relatively easy matter of removing the faceplate for the controls which will allow me access to the module mounted on a rail in behind. I'm optomistic that it's just a funky module. I'll also try to check the connection for the antennae mounted on the roof but the problem seems to be too consistent for it just to be a bad connection there.

I do have one question, is there any system i can buy to do my own diagnosis of any issues with this car?? I already have a bluetooth adapter to read engine codes but it will not do more then that.

Anyhoo, thanks for everyone taking the time to respond and a Merry Xmas or happy holidays of whatever sort you celebrate! :dblthumb:

Cheeeeers ;)

Uncle Brad

EdBwoy wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:43 am
Either way, I was going to suggest also checking the fuses, to eliminate these simple possibilities. The fuses of interest are 1, 5, 6, 9, 21 and 22 as shown in this link - 2002-q45-major-fuses-relays-and-modules ... l#p6786916
I checked all the fuses mentioned visually and with a ohmmeter and they are all good.

Uncle Brad

Sooooo, after replacing the TPMS module, i now have a fully functioning system. All alarms have cleared, the system now recognizes the tire pressures. I tried the method of relearning the sensors without the Consult system and it worked fine. I did have to start the car and ground the reset wire rather then just turning the car on.

raven69david
Car: 2002 Infiniti Q45

My tire pressure shows about 10 pounds less than what the tires are inflated to. All 4 are doing it so I'm sure it's the TPMS module. I just ordered a TPMS module and will install it to see if it fixes the issue. Where is the TPMS module located in a 2002 Q45? TIA

Uncle Brad

I used this https://youtu.be/SVJOvyE2kuk?t=238as a resource. It's really easy to replace. Virtually 3 screws to gain access.

You only need to view from 3:58 onward as the module is just behind the control unit and you don't have to tear the whole console apart.

TPMS module location 2.png
TPMS module location 2.png (22.48 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
Attachments
TPMS module location.png

raven69david

Uncle Brad wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:14 pm
I used this https://youtu.be/SVJOvyE2kuk?t=238as a resource. It's really easy to replace. Virtually 3 screws to gain access.

You only need to view from 3:58 onward as the module is just behind the control unit and you don't have to tear the whole console apart.

ImageTPMS module location 2.png

Thanks for the info Brad. Is this the TPMS sensor? TIA
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 11.57.45 AM.png

Uncle Brad

No, i believe that's the connector for the control panel. The video is only useful for showing the position of the two screws and method of removing the control unit from the dash. There is no need to disconnect the control panel. It can be placed to the side and that will allow lots of room to access the TPMS module. You don't need to watch past 4:52. After moving the control panel out of the way, you'll see a cross-member with two modules mounted on it. The TPMS is on the right and is the larger of the two. I think i removed the screw that held the module in place which allowed me to manipulate the module to better allow me to disconnect the electrical connector.

raven69david

Uncle Brad wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:08 pm
No, i believe that's the connector for the control panel. The video is only useful for showing the position of the two screws and method of removing the control unit from the dash. There is no need to disconnect the control panel. It can be placed to the side and that will allow lots of room to access the TPMS module. You don't need to watch past 4:52. After moving the control panel out of the way, you'll see a cross-member with two modules mounted on it. The TPMS is on the right and is the larger of the two. I think i removed the screw that held the module in place which allowed me to manipulate the module to better allow me to disconnect the electrical connector.
Thanks brother, found it. Got it replaced. For others needing a visual reference, this is what it looks like. As soon as you remove the trim piece, you'll see it on the right.
Attachments
thumbnail-2.jpeg
thumbnail-2.jpeg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 1023 times

Uncle Brad

So is it working now?

raven69david

Uncle Brad wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:27 pm
So is it working now?
The TPMS light is off, BUT I don't know how to reprogram the unit to recognize the sensors on the vehicle. I found a DIY reset but leary to try it. How did you reset the unit?

Uncle Brad

I grounded the reset wire under the dash. The instructions i first used said to do this with the key on but without the engine running. This didn't work. I started the car and ground the wire. This enabled the reset and the TPMS warning light was now flashing. I took it for a drive around the neighborhood (short drive) and heard either a beep or beeping, i can't remember now. The pressures were then able to be viewed and my earlier issue of the warning message, alarm and warning light never reappeared. I did set the tire pressure as per instructions of a 3 psi difference descending. The factory service manual had one set of pressures and other info had another set of pressures. I think either could be used.

raven69david

Uncle Brad wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:38 am
I grounded the reset wire under the dash. The instructions i first used said to do this with the key on but without the engine running. This didn't work. I started the car and ground the wire. This enabled the reset and the TPMS warning light was now flashing. I took it for a drive around the neighborhood (short drive) and heard either a beep or beeping, i can't remember now. The pressures were then able to be viewed and my earlier issue of the warning message, alarm and warning light never reappeared. I did set the tire pressure as per instructions of a 3 psi difference descending. The factory service manual had one set of pressures and other info had another set of pressures. I think either could be used.
Do you have the link of the reset procedure? The one I have is showing how to reset the TPMS sensors and not necessarily the module.

Uncle Brad

If you search for NIssan TPMS on YouTube, you'll get a few vids that are pretty good.

Here's one
https://www.facebook.com/kenthoarrealestate/
He doesn't start the car nor did he use the same tire pressure as I did. It seems that you need 3 psi difference between each tire no matter what specs you use. He also had the light come back on as his lowest pressure was below the setpoint for the warning. The setpoint for our cars is 26 psi. I set my lowest pressure above this to eliminate any nuisance alarms.

This is what i set my pressures to. This is from the factory service manual
tpms pressures.jpg
This next one is nearly the same but a slightly different range of pressures.
https://youtu.be/IOaoFCSVtQ8

In the manual, it mentions grounding the wire but it's buried in the info and doesn't exactly make it as simple as it is. It talks about taking pin such-and-such to ground but doesn't identify the handy connector just below the steering column.

Cheers and let us know how you made out.

boag
Car: 2004 350z & 2004 q45

does anyone have the part number for the 2004 Q45 control module? I understand the replacements are sensitive to model year.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

boag wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:55 pm
does anyone have the part number for the 2004 Q45 control module? I understand the replacements are sensitive to model year.
According to InfinitiPartsDeal it should be 40720-AR302. It fit the '03~04 M in addition to the '02~'06 Q. It's discontinued, but I see a bunch of used ones on eBay starting around $30.

boag
Car: 2004 350z & 2004 q45

thanks

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:bigthumb: Awesome info in this thread.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”