p90x Fitness

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
ADDirishboy
Car: 2008 Nissan Titan Pro4x

Anyone on here ever used it? My gf just bought the DVD's off Amazon for really cheap and I was curious as to whether or not anyone her on NICO has ever tried it or knows someone who used it. Does it work well?

I was thinking about using it myself as well.

All comments appreciated guys.

MMC.Revenge
Car: 1992 Nissan 240sx

i got the set a while backthe work outs are for people already in semi-decent shape. so if you get winded easilly you might wanna think about another work out program before you start p90x

i love it. you have to have the time to do them also, its an everyday thing.i havnt been doing them for long, but i can tell that if i can get through a couple cycles (3 months) i will be uber hotness.

MMC.Revenge

once you get used to it, and into the more advanced stuff you will feel pretty awesome. also, in the yoga x dvd, once you can do the "crane" pose, you should be feeling pretty good about yourself.i havnt been able to do the crane yet. lol

ADDirishboy

I'm already in good shape. 5'10", 165 pounds, 6.5 % body fat, good build.

I don't want it to get "into shape" I want it more to get bigger. I want bigger pecs and better abs and larger arms. Is it good in that field?

MMC.Revenge

yeah, this will really be able to make you pack on muscle.whats good about this is that there are 3 different "modes" of work out.one is for people wanna look leaner and toned. ie, more cardio, yoga (3days a week, you do double the cardio)seconds one is the standard work out routinethird is for people need more of a challenge and want to add more muscle (3 days a week you do double the work out)

ADDirishboy

That sounds really good. I'll most likely do the harder one. Thanks for the info man!

ADDirishboy

MMC.Revenge wrote:
Is that "the crane"?

If so, I can already do that one. I like to do that and then balance and push myself from that position into a handstand. It's really hard to do but I was so excited when I actually got it down.

MMC.Revenge

no problem!just make sure you get your own equipment (pull up bar, free weight, yoga mat, resistance bands, etc) if you dont already have it.even the manual and videos are packed full of "BUY OUR PRODUCT OR ELSE!!!1!!11" type promos

ADDirishboy

I have most of those things, but I could use a yoga mat so my back doesn't feel like **** after. I can't wait for it to come!

MMC.Revenge

ADDirishboy wrote:
Is that "the crane"?

If so, I can already do that one. I like to do that and then balance and push myself from that position into a handstand. It's really hard to do but I was so excited when I actually got it down.
well thats a variation of the crane. that's how most people do it, since the real pose is super difficult.this is how its properly done

MMC.Revenge

yoga mats also good for less stress on joints during the running-in-place and jumping jack "breaks"

ADDirishboy

Yea, I just tried to do the one without putting my knees on my arms, I face planted.

Farck that hurt.

MMC.Revenge

i say "breaks" cuz there really isnt any at all...its constant movement. its awesome.i mean, during the breaks, he says you can towel off or have a drink, but i try not too...

MMC.Revenge

haha, i did that the first time i triedi was in my room...where there is carpet...lolrug burn on your face sucks teh big ones.

S13_love

ADDirishboy wrote:I'm already in good shape. 5'10", 165 pounds, 6.5 % body fat, good build.

I don't want it to get "into shape" I want it more to get bigger. I want bigger pecs and better abs and larger arms.
Wow, you and me both...except I'm 5'11" and 170 pounds.

Let me know what works well for you.

ADDirishboy

S13_love wrote:
Wow, you and me both...except I'm 5'11" and 170 pounds.

Let me know what works well for you.
Yea I think I might make a thread about it a in a few weeks to start recording my progress.

MMC.Revenge

thats a good idea.

the reason im doing it is cuz i always see people taking out nuts and bolts, and putting on one less layer of paint...i figure, what better way to save weight, than to lose it from the most important component of a vehicle? the driver.

yelnatsch517
Car: '95 240sx

ADDirishboy wrote:Anyone on here ever used it? My gf just bought the DVD's off Amazon for really cheap and I was curious as to whether or not anyone her on NICO has ever tried it or knows someone who used it. Does it work well?

I was thinking about using it myself as well.

All comments appreciated guys.
How cheap is really cheap? Three words: Torrents DVD burner

ADDirishboy

yelnatsch517 wrote:
How cheap is really cheap? Three words: Torrents DVD burner
60 bucks on Amazon. I found a few on CL for 45ish but the gf wanted to buy from a reputable source. But 60 isnt bad compared to the near 300 they want on their site.

gammer_ghn

hold smokes so this crap actually works... hmmm... i will start on it! I need to get back in the shape i was in 3 years ago, 210 pounds 6'0 Judo black belt, linebacker who no one could F with!

Im 6'3, 276 pounds and that alot of cushion for the pushin! For me to be normal weight i need to be 200 pounds! holy 67 pounds i gots to loose to be in the shape i was 3 years ago. Should i do this baby or run and get a lap band like a panzy?

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

My turn to play the "it doesn't work" side.

There is no way you will be "ripped" in 90 days - your body just won't support it. Note it's also a "home" fitness system - aka fail.

However, I do agree with the muscle confusion claim. Its important to keep your workouts fresh and unique, working on each part of your muscle groups in different ways. Doing the same thing over and over again willl a. make you bored and b. make you plateau and not advance any further in your workouts.

Richard Simmons is the home workout king.

Getting "ripped" or "jacked" takes months - generally 6-12 for full results. After 3 you will start to see some changes, but nothing like you'd see in a bodybuilding contest. You'll see some changes in definition and strength, but nothing superduper. You're best bet for getting big is a 1 - gym and 2 - a trainer.

Also note that if you want to get bigger, you're going to have to start eating more. At 5' 10" and 165, you're at a good starting point, but you are somewhat light. Make a goal in a few months to try to be about 175 - you won't feel heavier, but you'll definatly feel much stronger. Make sure you are eating 5-6 meals a day (but smaller meals - not a super dinner for every sitting). You still want to do about a 45% carbs, 35% proteins, and 25% fat. Make sure you eat whole grains and such for your carbs - try to stay away from the process sugars, etc. Basically you just want to eat healthy, but eat more food in a healthy way.

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

marlin29311 wrote:My turn to play the "it doesn't work" side.

There is no way you will be "ripped" in 90 days - your body just won't support it. Note it's also a "home" fitness system - aka fail.

However, I do agree with the muscle confusion claim. Its important to keep your workouts fresh and unique, working on each part of your muscle groups in different ways. Doing the same thing over and over again willl a. make you bored and b. make you plateau and not advance any further in your workouts.

Richard Simmons is the home workout king.

Getting "ripped" or "jacked" takes months - generally 6-12 for full results. After 3 you will start to see some changes, but nothing like you'd see in a bodybuilding contest. You'll see some changes in definition and strength, but nothing superduper. You're best bet for getting big is a 1 - gym and 2 - a trainer.

Also note that if you want to get bigger, you're going to have to start eating more. At 5' 10" and 165, you're at a good starting point, but you are somewhat light. Make a goal in a few months to try to be about 175 - you won't feel heavier, but you'll definatly feel much stronger. Make sure you are eating 5-6 meals a day (but smaller meals - not a super dinner for every sitting). You still want to do about a 45% carbs, 35% proteins, and 25% fat. Make sure you eat whole grains and such for your carbs - try to stay away from the process sugars, etc. Basically you just want to eat healthy, but eat more food in a healthy way.
Agreed.

It probably would get you "ripped" if you did it long enough, but never "big." For ripped, though, it's really, really hard to beat Crossfit.

Crossfit posts up a daily workout for free on the website (www.crossfit.com).$60 is a couple months at a Crossfit gym.

For big, you're going to have to get into Olympic lifting.

< Not a big guy at all, but I know how these things work.

MMC.Revenge

yeah, the whole getting uber sexy ripped in 90 days is not something the average person should strive for. its imposible.i expect to have to do at LEAST 3 cycles (9 months) before i see anything like what the program promises.

gammer_ghn

ide be happy if i can do one pull up! the most toned people i have seen at the gym are always attacking the pull up bars.... The meat heads laying down and pumping the 100 pound dumbbells like a bench press. Me on the bike with the fan on getting happy that i burnt 400calories....lolz

ADDirishboy

Well I never thought it would get me "huge" in just 3 months. I just want to try it to get more toned and more strength. I'll get bigger, but not like they try to convince you in the commercials.

As for eating, that's my weak point. I eat fast food constantly. Taco Bell, In N' Out, Sonic, QT taquitos and such. I'm still in great shape, but only because I have the metabolism of a facking God. But I know that if I really wanna get in great shape and get bigger and more ripped, I need to change that.

I'm starting my diet plan today actually. Chicken, fish, various nuts, salads, whole wheat bread, celery and a lot of other stuff.

mmm240
Car: 95 Nissan 240SX KADE-T
94 Toyota Pickup
91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
03 Toyota Matrix XR

+1 on the GF wanting to get into shape (there are way too many fatties here in Wisconsin)Also, at the faceplant comments.

I have a buddy that uses p90x. He likes it and is happy with the results. Health nut as well.

A good/cheap pull up bar is the 'iron gym' you can get em from walgreens now for thirty bucks. It is hard to do pullups! I started about a month ago maxing at 6, now I'm up to ten (curl ups that is).

I also started taking supplements; NO and protein mix. It's going very well.

Good luck!

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

I've heard it's absolutely brutal.

I'm too lazy to try.

Urabus GodofTraction
Car: 2002 WRX Wagon, 2004 SV650, 1988 Land Cruiser, 1994 XR600R

mmm240 wrote:
A good/cheap pull up bar is the 'iron gym' you can get em from walgreens now for thirty bucks. It is hard to do pullups! I started about a month ago maxing at 6, now I'm up to ten (curl ups that is).
Uhhh, I bought my pullup bar from Sports Authority for $19, and I was pissed it cost that much. $30?! Holy hell!

mmm240
Car: 95 Nissan 240SX KADE-T
94 Toyota Pickup
91 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
03 Toyota Matrix XR

But does it have 3 grip positions and double / triple / quadruple (whatever) as a pushup / dip / sit up machine? LOL. Yeah the infomercial got me (while I was eating ten dollars worth of arbys) with this one. But I do actually use it as all the above. And it has ab straps!!!!! Wooohoooo

sldewyz
Car: 97' Danger Ranger

ive really been wanting to try this. let me know how it goes. im really skinny for my hight and id like to get a little bit fuller. this workout really seems like its a good one.

any good recomendations for a starter set of things to get before you start? aka weights and things.

Return to “General Chat”