No more LimeWire? Bogus.

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
PoorManQ45

Chaotic_Warlord wrote:So I tried to boot up my most current version of Limewire 5.5.16 and it says that my version is out of date and then when I clicked on the update now button it just forced close and didn't do anything. So I guess no more Limewire for me. I tried that Soul Seeker website and it said they were having issues with their servers and I wasn't able to use. How the hell am I supposed to get my music fix now. This sucks. I refuse to pay for songs, if I wanted to buy a CD i'd just buy the CD. Most of my digital collection is a mish mash of one or two songs from a cariety of CD's. Plus the more obscure stuff you can't get on Itunes or Amazon.
You aren't required to upgrade to continue using the software. Just ignore that message. Should still work.

obstacle
Car: 2010 Altima Coupe 2.5 MT Winter Frost

hint: some torrent programs let you download just individual songs off of the albums...makes the DLing process much quicker and you only DL the songs you want.

as far as i know, Vuze lets you select & unselect songs

Noxy
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX
1992 NX2000
2004 Sentra Spec V

PoorManQ45 wrote:
You aren't required to upgrade to continue using the software. Just ignore that message. Should still work.
I also tried to boot up my copy and it said that after 3 minutes it would automatically update for you, and it did.

PoorManQ45

Noxy wrote:
PoorManQ45 wrote:
I also tried to boot up my copy and it said that after 3 minutes it would automatically update for you, and it did.
Wait, did it update or did it crash?

Red coupe
Car: 92 Nissan 240sx Coupe

obstacle wrote:hint: some torrent programs let you download just individual songs off of the albums...makes the DLing process much quicker and you only DL the songs you want.

as far as i know, Vuze lets you select & unselect songs
Utorrent also lets you chose what files out of the torrent you want to download. I bet most do.

Doesn't work if the album is zipped or otherwise packaged.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

It's the same for BitTorrent, too. But only if they grouped the files that way and didn't make it one long file, of course... ;)

DVD rips are me least favorite.

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

PoorManQ45 wrote:You aren't required to upgrade to continue using the software. Just ignore that message. Should still work.
Noxy wrote:I also tried to boot up my copy and it said that after 3 minutes it would automatically update for you, and it did.
Wait, did it update or did it crash?

X2 I too would like to know if it updated or crashed. Besides Limewire are there any other programs that are reliable and not full of malware for sharing music. I don't want to just stream music to my computer because I'm not home much. My work van only has a stereo and my car has a CD headunit so I like to download music and either burn them onto CD-Rs for the car or put them on the Ipod to use the FM modulator in the work van.

Noxy
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX
1992 NX2000
2004 Sentra Spec V

Sorry. It sent me to a post saying that because of legal issues limewire is shutting down blah blah. Then it closed itself, and wouldn't let it start back up again. Honestly I was a little surprised with how well their trick worked.

Chaotic_Warlord

I did some digging and found a work around to get LW to work again. you need to go to the Gnutella forums and it explains it all, but the short of it is that you need to revert to any version before 5.5.10 as well as install a fix which is in the .zip file if you follow the link. I just DL'ed like 10 songs as a way to test it. The notice of their shutdown is still there but it doesn't mean anything.

Everything you need to get it up and running again can be found here... http://www.gnutellaforums.com/technical ... rsion.html

timay
Car: white 99' infiniti i30t

http://www.frostwire.com/

Basically the same as limewire. Except it works.

You're welcome.

PoorManQ45

timay wrote:http://www.frostwire.com/

You're welcome.
KISS principle :lolling:

timay

PoorManQ45 wrote:
timay wrote:http://www.frostwire.com/

You're welcome.
KISS principle :lolling:
What do you mean by that? Did I do something stupid?

PoorManQ45

nope, you kept it simple. The other guys in the thread were pushing other methods and trying to get Limewire working again.

Frostwire has been around for just about as long as limewire and works just as well.

timay

I'm actually glad I found it, I like it a lot better than I did Limewire. It always had connectivity issues.

timay

I dont think so.

Frostwire has the same super charged download crap, download it, enjoy.

PoorManQ45

I just torrented the Pro version. All it did was remove the annoying popup

Chaotic_Warlord

Frostwire is the backup plan for Limewire if it were to ever get taken down. The problem with Frostwire is that unless you know about it you don't KNOW about it, as such there aren't as many people to share with and it has about 1/8th of the files that Limewire has. Sure you can use Frostwire, but it's just as simple to reinstall an older version of Limewire and hey, what do you know, you can share on limewire again.
CNET.com wrote:
LimeWire 206,906,271 total downloads
21,359 last week

FrostWire 29,867,371 total downloads
97,821 last week

RCA

Torrenting works on all platforms (Limewire, Frostwire, BitTorrent etc.) but my logic tells me after you install Limewire you tell it which files from which folders you want to share and so these won't appear on Frostwire unless you DL it, install it and select which files from which folders you want to share.

timay

Chaotic_Warlord wrote:Frostwire is the backup plan for Limewire if it were to ever get taken down. The problem with Frostwire is that unless you know about it you don't KNOW about it, as such there aren't as many people to share with and it has about 1/8th of the files that Limewire has. Sure you can use Frostwire, but it's just as simple to reinstall an older version of Limewire and hey, what do you know, you can share on limewire again.
CNET.com wrote:
LimeWire 206,906,271 total downloads
21,359 last week

FrostWire 29,867,371 total downloads
97,821 last week
That's cool, I am glad I found frostwire, it works and works well for me better than limewire ever did. I always had connectivity issues with limewire.

Also I don't give a s*** about those numbers otherwise, because I haven't had one bit of trouble finding what I needed on frostwire.

I believe limewire and frostwire are on the same network anyway.

Chaotic_Warlord

Limewire, Frostwire and Bearshare all use Gnuttella and yes they do share the same network but the number of users dictate the number of files available for download. Frostwire is still not really well known otherwise the amount of files shared would be higher. As far as the number of downloads last week are concerned the reason why the number is higher for Frostwire is thanks in part to the Injuction passed on Limewire.

Either way if you can share files and get the files you are looking for it doesn't matter how you get them.

rsmithdrift
Car: 1993 240sx fastback se.

I just d/l'd frost wire and bear share... bear share kinda sucks... screw that.

But Frost wire is the shiznit. I'm glad limewires gone now... I found frost wire because of it. I made a list the past week or so limewires been gone about 20 songs long and I found them all with ease... granted they are all played on the radio and theirfore popular... but still. I had like 80+ peers on some of the songs I d/l'ed. That's more than 99.9% of limewire songs could even imagine having lol.

Besides I remember having an out of date version of limewire years ago (4.1 something or other) and it worked fine till the new update would come out... then nearly quit working after the new update. It would still work but their would be nothing to download. I guess cause everybody was using the newer version and maybe compatability issues??? But lately this seemed to be a trend. All the songs seemed to be on the newest version only. And if you didn't d/l it you were severely limited. For that reason I'm very leery of d/l'ing and old version of limewire... I think you can only share with other people using that version. Like a video game can only be played online with other people who have the same version of it. LFS for example.

RCA

PoorManQ45

RCA wrote:Image
I always found that hilarious!

Every torrent or download program has filters available, but people don't use them!

I set up an inclusion list(meaning anything not on it is excluded) for every search type available. If the file didn't meet the criteria, it wasn't shown. Part of this was filetype, size minimum, quality, and a few others.

I've used all these programs without having an active antivirus at one point or another and have never had an issue when using this method.

Dittoz7
Car: 1997 2f0WtY SE!

Well looks like I found something to replace Dirpy.

http://www.clipconverter.cc/

Works pretty for me so far, hope they don't get shut down too.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

SO I should stop using Kazaa?

Dittoz7
Car: 1997 2f0WtY SE!

Pretty sure that's what the ancient Aztecs used...

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

no wonder they disappeared, that shizz was unstable.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

krimsonviper wrote:
themadscientist wrote:Limewire, don't you get that from ticks?
No, that's limescale... Right?
:chuckle:

Lyme Disease is quite different. Named after Lyme, Connecticut ... as I recall, that is where it was first found.

Z

Return to “General Chat”