Almost completed 01 Pathfinder stereo upgrade (includes AVIC-Z2)

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
slickroger
Car: Nissan Pathfinder 2001

Well ive been doin some work in the truck and spending money i dont have to make the interior of this truck neat and complete heres some pics.

Head-Unit (before and after)

Sony Head-Unit

Pioneer AVIC-Z2 + Peripheral SWI-PS Factory Steering Wheel Audio Control Interface + 2-wire Bypass

Installed (Music Videos while driving, awesomely distracting!!)

GPS + Bluetooth + Voice Command

I cut out the carpet to display the Amp thru the plexiglass cover and also installed the Power Cap in the passenger side quarter panel

Slickroger(left) Qxxx4(right)

Also just did my spark plugs, very easy to do on the 3.5L

Modified by slickroger at 12:57 AM 7/7/2008

Qxxx4
Car: 1999.5 Infiniti QX4, 2012 Mustang

roger, props to you your trucks system is amazing, and im glad to see pretty much everything was done by you. keep up the good work and thanks for posting up those pics of your system!

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

Nice system! I like how you did the floor panel.

slickroger

Painted the Covers Beside the fogs to match the grille

Painted Engine Cover and Added K&N Air Filter

ubpsanity
Car: 2001 Pathfinder SE, 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder

Ah, you finally got the K&N I see. What do you think of it so far? Where did you end up getting it from as well?

screwinitupagain
Car: 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Damn dude the trunk is really clean lookin'. Thats what has impressed me (oh course it might not be too hard to impress me cause me trunk is filled with a ton of sh*t right now). Good work though man.

slickroger

thanks man!

The Trunk

that trunk took some time, cutting that carpet was the really annoying part but i love the way it turned out. probably gonna throw some sound activated lights beside the amp to light up the amp compartment.

The K&N

I bought it from ebay for about $320, I love the change in sound and i have noticed that the truck is a lot more responsive to my heavy foot. also it makes the engine bay look awesome especially with the painted engine cover it was all scratched now it looks fresh again.

has anyone else noticed that the canister that is connected to the air intake box doesnt draw any air from outside because it is sealed. well i believe its sealed, and i plan on butchering it for some cold air using a couple of hoses placed behind the grille.

has anyone tried this already????

fueler

that canister u are talking about does have an opening, facing forwards, like a cold air intake. Although the pathfinder is slightly different from the Q it should be similar. Yeah u can remove it and run a hose, that would probably be better.

LocoPathfinder
Car: 2002 Pathfinder SE

according to the website (www.knfilters.com)that SRI set up gives you 14.46 HP @ 5918 RPM gains!!!!but for $320 thats a big price to pay.

Qxxx4

i still cant believe how great those fog covers look...it looks better without the fogs than with lol

i really do hate you man, before you i didnt really care about a system or performance and now im really looking into it.

might go with a used sub and amp for starters...evn if it works like crap and blows right away. I gotta pay tuition and insurance and crap so ill get what i can afford lol the pioneer screen is just too sexy. I seen them as low as $400 at future shop...of course without nav id get that then the sub/amp..id the nav to the headunit later.

The K&N sounds good but you said fuel economy is worse now? if it sounds and feels better then its probably worth every penny

Qxxx4

btw paint that rusty hood stick, its an eyesore man!

slickroger

yea that hook is nasty i plan on doin that today actually.

if you need any stereo help gimme a call and check http://www.onlinecarstereo.com for some good models and whats the best bang for your buck.

Adnan
Car: 2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD

very awesome truck roger...i love how you did excatly pretty muchi ever imagined doing on my truck...except a alpine w205 instead of the z2what model are those steering wheel adapter+bypass module?are you using your stock speakers?

slickroger

Im using all stock speakers. except for the obvious 12" kenwoods

I didn't buy a bypass i used instructions from another forum, which told me i only needed to ground 2-wires so i did.

the adapter for the steering wheel controls was the Peripheral SWI-PSjust go to this site and enter your vehicle info and it will tell you what to buy from e-bay thats the way i did it.

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com/

Adnan

impressive!

how is the sound quality? any alternator whine?

slickroger

no troubl ei think it sounds great when i turn it up and the bass is pretty much ridiculous i can still here my highs which i like a lot

Adnan

hey man,you think you can help me put in my deck sometime?your setup just inspired me to get started on mineim now waiting on a new amp:D

slickroger

sure we will have to figure out a time i just added you to msn

Qxxx4

i have to second roger, his system sounds really really good. i was all against subs when people started saying it sounds horrible and roger proved that it sounds great.

adnan you gotta meet with us sometime for another qx4/pathy meet before the winter...we only had 3 members last time

Adnan

i'm in for sure...

slickroger

im only noticing now but when i took this picture i had a 3.5 beside my LE.

well somehow i lost that AJRK and Qxxx4 as witnesses at the last meet i did not have the 3.5 so the LE looked off and out of place.

I removed the LE and this is how it looks now

i will put pictures of the engine bay up as soon as i get them, i just painted everything that was rusted in the previous picture black, such as the prop and the rad holders.

Qxxx4

yeah dude i dunno how your engine bay had those things rusting...mines actually in pretty decent shape under the hood (but yours is way more "slick" with that painted engine cover...freakin 3.3's dont have no cover

Lookin forward to seein the blacked out parts man, itll look real new n clean now

as for the LE symbol being outtie it looks way better, AJRK has a real keen eye noticing that

slickroger

Heres some engine bay picks more pleasing to the eye

Rust Removal Program has slowly begun

hume15
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE limited Edition

Where'd you get the Pathfinder light at?

slickroger

if you are talking about the third brake light.

i got it on e-bay and you can get them customized.

Adnan

roger you should enter that thing in importfest:D

fueler

fueler wrote:that canister u are talking about does have an opening, facing forwards, like a cold air intake. Although the pathfinder is slightly different from the Q it should be similar. Yeah u can remove it and run a hose, that would probably be better.
I have to post a correction I posted some misinformation stating that the QX4 has a factory cold air intake I thought it really did, I even saw the opening from the top and felt it with my hand in the fender It wasnt until disassembling my front bumper today, that i found that my "factory cold air intake" isn't what i thought it was.... what it was, my stock lower air box simply had a large hole punched in it from my fog light, must have been from one of the many desert racing accidents i've had Looks like it has potential for a good design but i'm ditching the (broken) air box anyways for a 3" flex tubing

sorry for the misinformation.

slickroger

Heres the Fog Mod - Fogs can be on all the time at my discretion

Changed two Bulbs on the Dash to 3Blue LEDs

Tinted Headlights and Fogs

Detailed Dash Thread - zer...ights

Detailed Fog Thread - zer...-asap

Window Trim Thread - zerothread/359249

Tint Thread - zer...ights

BOSE Stereo Thread - zerothread/304088

Modified by slickroger at 11:42 PM 9/19/2008
Modified by slickroger at 4:02 PM 9/23/2008

MCorlione
Car: '02 Pathfinder, '02 QX4, '04 Nissan Pathfinder Armada OffRoad Edition

Hello,I put in an almost identical double din deck to my '02 pathfinder Only I am getting a loud buzz/humming from the system/speakers. Tried changing ground. Any ideas?

PS. I also have the K&N in mine!

duanetjt
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE

slickroger wrote:Well ive been doin some work in the truck and spending money i dont have to make the interior of this truck neat and complete heres some pics.

Head-Unit (before and after)

Sony Head-Unit

Pioneer AVIC-Z2 + Peripheral SWI-PS Factory Steering Wheel Audio Control Interface + 2-wire Bypass

Installed (Music Videos while driving, awesomely distracting!!)

GPS + Bluetooth + Voice Command

I cut out the carpet to display the Amp thru the plexiglass cover and also installed the Power Cap in the passenger side quarter panel

Slickroger(left) Qxxx4(right)

Also just did my spark plugs, very easy to do on the 3.5L

Modified by slickroger at 12:57 AM 7/7/2008
I like your set-up! I'm doing a similar install on my 03 Pathfinder LE. No one makes a double-din dash kit for the 03-04 Pathy, so I had to fabricate one from a single din kit. The plastic fab project turned out very nicely. I've installed some headrest DVDs and one of the Pioneer F Series units. My problem is that I want to keep my steering wheel controls, so I bought the SWI-PS. I'm having a tough time locating the two (or more wires) wires that control the steering wheel remote, so I can tap into them with my two resistors. Any idea where I can find those? The vehicle specific instruction from the manufacturer were confusing, and they are of no help!! Their tech support was terrible, so I'm left to find the answers from the web. I see you've already done this. Any help or photos you provide would be greatly appreciated.

I also posted this same question to you in another thread....kind of new at online posting.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”