Zenki Automatic Front Oil Seal Replacement

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
nico240sx
Car: ???

Hi all,

I have a automatic 95 Zenki KA24DE with a blown head gasket. I have the head off and I am looking to replace the oil pump and the front oil seal both at the same time since the coolant mixed in with the oil when the head gasket blew and the front oil seal is leaky anyways. The issue is that I am trying to loosen the crank pulley bolt to get access to the lower timing cover BUT how can I lock up the crank pulley bolt without it turning over?

I searched the forums and it seems like there are 2 options:

1) Set the gears to 5th.(Can't do that on an automatic)
2) Start the car and have it turn over while the crank bolt is attached to a breaker bar(I have the head off so I can't do this method and the oil is mixed in with coolant inside the pump which will send the oil/coolant mixture back into the engine if I attempt with head back on)

Is there anything else I can do to loosen it?

Thanks.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

If the engine is still in the car, and the starter is still attached, you can bump the starter (make sure breaker bar is braced on ground AND that it'll be loosening when the engine turns).

Big electric impact wrench after soaking in penetrating oil overnight is the other option.

nico240sx
Car: ???

AZhitman wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:52 pm
If the engine is still in the car, and the starter is still attached, you can bump the starter (make sure breaker bar is braced on ground AND that it'll be loosening when the engine turns).

Big electric impact wrench after soaking in penetrating oil overnight is the other option.
Not sure if I can use the breaker bar to have the engine turn over with the cylinder block off. Sounds like it will damage the loose lower timing chain.

Does the same apply to the impact wrench? Current setup in the pic below. Also not looking to mess up the timing.

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”