1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

It took me a while to pick this one up for a few reasons. First, I didn't have any Motion Plus or Remote Plus, so the total buy-in would have been $80 or $90. And second, I was afraid Nintendo might have ruined the Zelda formula by trying to innovate unnecessarily in order to make it more approachable and give broader appeal (see: Metroid: Other M).

Now, though, I've got Skyward Sword and a nice shiny black Wiimote Plus to play it with.

And I'm pleased to find that the Zelda formula I've become so fond of over the years is still very much intact. It's definitely tweaked, but to my very pleasant surprise the tweaks are almost universally beneficial.

My biggest concern, the motion controls, is also the biggest surprise. Not only does the 1:1 Motion Plus sword control genuinely add to combat, but it also means you no longer need to use the IR/Sensorbar functionality of the Wiimote to make onscreen selections. The real boon of this second part is that you can now use pointer-centric UI features without having to always ensure that the Wiimote can see the sensorbar. Games like Metroid: Corruption showed that the pointer functionality of the Wiimote could add a lot of precision to controls, but keeping the pointer in range of the sensorbar often made holding the controller awkward. Skyward Sword has superior accuracy to Corruption while allowing you to orient the Wiimote however you want, even allowing for dynamic recalibration (re-centering the cursor) so you can get comfortable on the couch and still get all the benefits of 1:1 sword combat and accurate motion-controlled aiming.

I was also very worried that we'd get a dumbed-down, feature-stripped take on Zelda, as we saw with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Happily, I was wrong here, too. We've still got heart pieces, various item collection subquests, upgradeable wallet and gear, and a variety of toys to help us through dungeons.

It's pretty clear that while Nintendo was vocal about wanting to attract new players to Zelda, they still understand what loyal long-timers like myself want. The cutesy onscreen UI shown in screenshots is an example of the former, but Nintendo enabled 3 degrees of GUI, with "light" and "pro" modes removing progressively more of the unneeded elements (you can get rid of the Wiimote graphic, or you can get rid of ALL the button hints altogether, leaving you just the very basics*). That kind of attention to detail is what I'd love to see more of in the future.

Back to the 1:1 sword control, though...
Prior Zelda games (ignoring the Wii version of Twilight Princess) were very much button mashers. There were multiple sword-strikes available, initiated through various button/attack combos, and Nintendo's expertise left this very much a smooth, natural thing. But here, in Skyward Sword, we see combat get even more fluid. Monsters like Moblins will block directionally, forcing you to attack smartly and intelligently, and react quickly. Other monsters, like Babas (the carniverous plants that are ubiquitous as sources of sticks in prior 3D Zeldas) have directionally-specific weaknesses. But what's great is that Link's sword strikes respond so quickly and blend so smoothly. You can flail the Wiimote around like an amateur sport fencer, and Link will follow up with an array of sword strikes. So combat gets very fast.
Fighting multiple enemies feels so much more natural, too, since it's so easy to flow from one to the other, switching lock-on targets as you go, and adapting to their specific weaknesses in the process. It's more involving, more thoughtful, and more rewarding. It's also a lot more fun.

Another of changes to the formula is the addition of a Stamina meter. As a gameplay mechanic I think it's well-done, and a benefit rather than a hindrance. But I do think Nintendo attached it to too many things. For instances, I don't see why climbing vines drains stamina. Well-placed Stamina-replenishing fruit pickups on vines can allow you to climb long distances without falling, but it seems unnecessary. Maybe something later in the game will turn this into a useful feature, though.
Other than vines, sprinting is now possible, using Stamina at a pretty fast rate. But while sprinting, Link is cabable of some (very basic) Ezio-style parkour. Running up walls to grab ledges or vines, climbing taller objects, or leaping off edges to jump farther. I'm a "roll masher" in older 3D Zelda games, because it gives the illusion of speeding up Link's leisurely pace. So the ability to run, even for short bursts, is a great addition in my eyes. Rolling is still possible, and can only be initiated while running.
The Stamina gauge itself recharges quickly, and most actions drain at a rate that seems well-tuned: not so fast as too frustrate but no so slow as to undermine its presence entirely. It gives you a sense of urgency and challenge without becoming tedious.

I like Skyward Sword's art-style, though not as much as that of Windwaker. It's hybridized, somewhere between Twilight Princess's realism and Windwaker's cartoonishness. Bright colors meet lifelike proportions and forms.

I'm still not sold on the whole sound-effect-through-the-Wiimote thing, though. Wiimote speakers are kinda tinny and I don't see how my controller (rather than the TV speakers) "shinging" when I draw my sword was ever supposed to add anything worthwhile to the experience anyway.

Overall, I'm very much enjoying Skyward Sword.

*Here's the full, default onscreen GUI:

"Light" mode removes the controller overlay graphics for both nunchuck and Wiimote, but leaves the button hints:

Meanwhile "Pro" mode removes everything below the top of the screen (leaving only health, rupees, shield, and equipped item showing):

I'm playing with the Pro setting and enjoying the very uncluttered display.

mikethemike
Car: 2010 Altima 2.5s w/ convenience package

Warning: MAY be some spoilers in here. Just look for the * which indicates a spoiler

I just beat the game last week. Loved every second of it. I even downloaded the soundtrack for the game (Skyview Temple is my favorite sountrack) Its neck and neck with Zelda: OoT. Ocarina will always have an everlasting nostalgic effect on me, thus remaining my favorite game. However, with SS, you feel the connection between Link and Zelda.

With that said, there are some personal pros and cons of the game.

Pros:
Music - Live orchestrated music, thanks to Hyrule Symphony. Like I said, I downloaded the sountrack to the game. Especially when you fly, the music is so inspiring.

Zelda - Oh heck I'm gonna say it....Zelda has never been more adorable and likable in any game. I loved how they constructed her and build upon her character as opposed to being a hopeless princess that looks so cold in the other games. She and Link shared such a passion with each other that you FEEL the connection.

* Groose - What can I say, you love to hate him and you hate to love him. If they ever made a SS movie, the guy who played Biff would be Groose. I loved the fact Link had a bully and though he is the Skyloft Douche, he became a pretty neat guy in the end. I always thought there was gonna be some twist like he'd be some distant ancestor of Ganondorf or something. But in the end, he was a pretty helpful character.....and humorous.

*Cut scenes - Man, these long a** cut scenes were epic. The beginning where Link and Zelda are flying, the boss introductions, the capturing of Zelda and you see the expression on Links face as if he's breaking down. Its like watching a movie had you combined them all together. The game designers and storyboard artists really did a good job choreographing these scenes.

* The swords - Just like old timey Zelda, he could shoot out of his sword. And when it turned into the Master Sword, I damn neared s*** my pants.....until I got the Hylian shield from the dragon.

Bosses - Very well constructed bosses. Demise was bitchin as well.

Now the cons:

I thought it looked silly when Link would run with the sword in front of his face, so you had to move your controller to your side, if you wanted to run with the sword out.

Choosing your items was a pain. Why not just have 3 items to choose from like in the other games? Its hard fighting a monster, low on life, then going through the hassle of selecting a bottle, leaving yourself totally vulnerable.

You cant scroll through the texts as quick as you did in the other games.

* Final Boss Demise - way too easy

* The Typhoon Wallet - 9900 rupees.....really that necessary?

I hate how precise you had to be in just getting the skyward strike. You really had to aim in the right direction to get it right. It was a pain fighting Tentalus.

Why have all these medallions and extra items like more arrows and bombs when you're only allowed to carry up to 8 items? And OF COURSE you're gonna keep your shield with you, why wouldn't you?

Finally, and I mean FINALLY!! Nintendo, why did you do this? The lumpy pumpkin harp song with Kina. The motion controller is not meant to maneuver that way. You have to strum the harp according to the movement of the audience. It never works. I got fed up with it. Its the stupidest thing Nintendo has done in a Zelda game.

All in all 9.5/10 This game is one of the adventurous Zelda games out there, so I'd recommend you pick up a copy!

mikethemike
Car: 2010 Altima 2.5s w/ convenience package

Warning: MAY be some spoilers in here. Just look for the * which indicates a spoiler

I just beat the game last week. Loved every second of it. I even downloaded the soundtrack for the game (Skyview Temple is my favorite sountrack) Its neck and neck with Zelda: OoT. Ocarina will always have an everlasting nostalgic effect on me, thus remaining my favorite game. However, with SS, you feel the connection between Link and Zelda.

With that said, there are some personal pros and cons of the game.

Pros:
Music - Live orchestrated music, thanks to Hyrule Symphony. Like I said, I downloaded the sountrack to the game. Especially when you fly, the music is so inspiring.

Zelda - Oh heck I'm gonna say it....Zelda has never been more adorable and likable in any game. I loved how they constructed her and build upon her character as opposed to being a hopeless princess that looks so cold in the other games. She and Link shared such a passion with each other that you FEEL the connection.

* Groose - What can I say, you love to hate him and you hate to love him. If they ever made a SS movie, the guy who played Biff would be Groose. I loved the fact Link had a bully and though he is the Skyloft Douche, he became a pretty neat guy in the end. I always thought there was gonna be some twist like he'd be some distant ancestor of Ganondorf or something. But in the end, he was a pretty helpful character.....and humorous.

*Cut scenes - Man, these long a** cut scenes were epic. The beginning where Link and Zelda are flying, the boss introductions, the capturing of Zelda and you see the expression on Links face as if he's breaking down. Its like watching a movie had you combined them all together. The game designers and storyboard artists really did a good job choreographing these scenes.

* The swords - Just like old timey Zelda, he could shoot out of his sword. And when it turned into the Master Sword, I damn neared s*** my pants.....until I got the Hylian shield from the dragon.

Bosses - Very well constructed bosses. Demise was bitchin as well.

Now the cons:

I thought it looked silly when Link would run with the sword in front of his face, so you had to move your controller to your side, if you wanted to run with the sword out.

Choosing your items was a pain. Why not just have 3 items to choose from like in the other games? Its hard fighting a monster, low on life, then going through the hassle of selecting a bottle, leaving yourself totally vulnerable.

You cant scroll through the texts as quick as you did in the other games.

* Final Boss Demise - way too easy

* The Typhoon Wallet - 9900 rupees.....really that necessary?

I hate how precise you had to be in just getting the skyward strike. You really had to aim in the right direction to get it right. It was a pain fighting Tentalus.

Why have all these medallions and extra items like more arrows and bombs when you're only allowed to carry up to 8 items? And OF COURSE you're gonna keep your shield with you, why wouldn't you?

Finally, and I mean FINALLY!! Nintendo, why did you do this? The lumpy pumpkin harp song with Kina. The motion controller is not meant to maneuver that way. You have to strum the harp according to the movement of the audience. It never works. I got fed up with it. Its the stupidest thing Nintendo has done in a Zelda game.

All in all 9.5/10 This game is one of the adventurous Zelda games out there, so I'd recommend you pick up a copy!

Return to “Gaming”