Z32 TT Perfomance Clutch Kit and Flywheel

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
charpel33
Car: '91 Nissan Z32 TT

Hello Z32 Family,
I need to replace the Clutch and Flywheel on my '91 Z32 TT. It is a 425 HP non-racer....although I will get a little rowdy sometimes. Any suggestions on the clutch kit and flywheel that would be suitable? I'm trying not to spend the $700 that Z1 Motorsports is at. Any links to the appropriate product would be of great help. Thank you.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Why do you need a new flywheel if not racing and want to save money? Have the OEM resurfaced will save a couple hundred bucks at least.
Zspeed has some sale items also. Anything equivalent to JWT sport/SZ Sport/RPS sport clutch will handle you needs at $3-400. My SZ street sport holds 440whp/430TQ just fine.

$700 for a decent clutch/flywheel is not unreasonable, sales can be had at around $600 if you shop around. Joe at Zspeed and Seb at SZ are very knowledgeable, maybe give them a shout.

charpel33

Thank you very much. Not sure on the flywheel......just what my mechanic told me I needed to get. I really appreciate the suggestions. Thanks again.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Z32s respond very well to lightweight flywheels. Every vendor on earth sells one for about the same price. Also through my years of working on these cars I am convinced (though I have no empirical data) that they are made in the same foundry facility and then just sold to EVRYONE (including ebay sellers). For a clutch I would recommend DXD southbend, they will be the best and cheapest for what you need. There are multiple threads here on NICO where I and a few other members have gone into great detail about clutches so if you're interested you can search. The gist is there are only like 3 or 4 companies in the world that make proven clutch components, all of the brand names you see buy these components and match them, some actually replace the friction material with something proprietary but for the most part its Valeo, Daikin, Exedy, and I think 1 other manufacturer. Any reputable brand will sell you what is likely the same clutch as another reputable brand.

charpel33

I agree......my research into them led me to the same conclusion. I rolled the dice on one off Ebay that was a clutch kit and flywheel stage 2 for about $250.00. I sent the link to my mechanic and he said it would work. We don't race it and rarely even drive it....it's at 71K original right now and I don't plan on much more before I sell it.....if I sell it. Thank you for the info, very helpful.

NolimitZ32

WOW pump the breaks on the ebay clutch. The flywheel is one thing, its a chunk of metal that is machined and balanced (any decent machine shop can actually make one with the correct measurements). The clutch is a different story, if you're buying something off ebay there is no guarantee that quality parts were used to assemble the kit, I said 3 or 4 companies that make PROVEN clutch components, plenty of knock off garbage out there and a $250 clutch kit stated to handle 450ft/lbs is likely NOT composed from proven components. Roll the dice if you want but buying an ebay clutch has the potential to cost you another clutch job in the very near future. Lastly, and this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Anyone that rates their clutch in HP and not in TQ doesn't know what they are talking about.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Here is your cheapest and reliable option:
Resurface the OEM flywheel, new clutch disc of the same as you have if the pressure plate/cover looks OK.
I'd do this over any Ebay clutch, ask why? Because I've replace too many of them with less the 500 miles on them.

And if the ad says the FW is balanced, how confident are you that it really is?

charpel33

I understand the implications of buying a part that is 1/3 the price of every other reputable manufacturer. In my experience, sometimes it's not a problem.....and sometimes it is. That being said, I'm going to see what happens with this Ebay purchase and will keep the community updated with the results. I appreciate all the input. If it does in fact perform fine....then it may be a cost saving solution for someone in a similar situation in the future. If not, it will come as a warning to those that are entertaining going the same route I chose. We shall see. Thanks again guys.

NolimitZ32

There are plenty of warnings all over the forums, if you search you will find a lot of examples of people having issues with cheap parts. More so on a vehicle like the Z32 where doing any work requires 3x the labor of a normal vehicle. How much are you paying in labor to your mechanic? If its more than the difference in cost between an ebay clutch and a proven clutch then there goes any possible savings when the clutch has to be changed. But it's your car and your money so good luck.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”