Z32 Race Car - brake cooling and other questions

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Benspeeder
Car: 1992 300zx 2/2

Hi - new to the forum and hoping for some expert advice.

We're building a 1993 300ZX 2+2 NA, manual trans for Lemons and maybe SCCA ITR.

Couple of questions - is the ECU tune worth it? We've installed the POP intake and a header back, cat delete exhaust. Noticeably better throttle response and pulls a little harder, will the ECU make more than say 10hp 10 lbs tq and who's the best?

Is there a brake cooling kit that utilizes the fog light location? The little air deflectors won't do it and I can make those. Best way to route the cooling hoses through from the bumper? Wish I could find a decent kit for this year and model. Or, will try to fab up something.

Folks have told me that under spirited driving, the car will push oil into the exhaust valves and I'll need to install a catch can and potentially, route a hose from the catch can back into the oil pan. Any feedback on this advice and best approach? Saw some YouTube videos that looked like some hacks doing it wrong...

We're pulling out all the weight on the car and getting ready to install the cage. Not much we can do for performance under the Lemons rules. Any other reliability pointers? Should we upgrade the radiator?

PS - anybody who needs interior parts, we have everything. Link here and will post in classifieds too! https://www.flickr.com/gp/8969987@N06/8k64z5

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

I'm not sure about 10 HP/TQ for the NA, but for me it was more responsive low end and the rpm limiter removed. Talk to the guys at Specialty Z, you will need the ECU to be so socketed in place of the OEM ROM chip.

Some have use the older style Powertrix fog light ducts (smaller hole than the newer hiflow version) and routed a flex hose to the brakes. Not sure what you can mod with Lemons rules, but if able, you can bolt on the thicker 32mm gtr rotors (same dia)and calipers for more heat abuse. Add of course fresh hi quality brake fluids.

Benspeeder
Car: 1992 300zx 2/2

Thanks Itsa.

Will look for those ducts. And will also look up the GTR setup. Can't really do much under lemons but good to know. Brakes reliability is something we must have.

The ecu is something that's a nice to have, unless somebody feels it really makes a difference for racing. Couple ponies not worth it.

Cheers

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”