Z32 Digital Dash

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Z-bass
Car: 1993 Z32 N/A 2+2 AT
1994 Z32 N/A 2+2 AT
2005 Pathfinder

Here it is folks !!!!

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Nice, what does it look like in daylight?

Z-bass
1994 Z32 N/A 2+2 AT
2005 Pathfinder

Perfectly viewable in the daylight.

The "key-on" pix don't do this display justice, as a circular bar sweeps around the respective MPH & RPM number displays when they're active (just like the smaller Volt/Oil/Temp/Fuel gauges).

Not quite the Z31 digital dash (the inspiration for this project), but damn close !

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

To each his own, I like the simplicity of the OEM dial gauges. That said MASSIVE KUDOS to you for making this happen. When I asked about daylight view I was more asking about the aesthetics rather than function, meaning fit and finish of how you've integrated everything into the factor pod.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

NolimitZ32 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:32 am
To each his own, I like the simplicity of the OEM dial gauges. That said MASSIVE KUDOS to you for making this happen. When I asked about daylight view I was more asking about the aesthetics rather than function, meaning fit and finish of how you've integrated everything into the factor pod.
Agreed as I love the OEM version myself with the dash rings, but this is a pretty awesome mod and I am also very interested in what you've done here.
Any production pics or other info on how/what you've done? I imagine this could be a decent selling item if it wasn't terribly complicated and worked correctly- and is it legal to do this?

Z-bass
1994 Z32 N/A 2+2 AT
2005 Pathfinder

Thanks, NLZ32 ! In daylight, with Key-off, the entire instrument cluster is blacked-out. Not even the warning lights are visible. Everything is located behind a smoked plastic panel with additional light-filtering zones.

To answer your questions DCaff:

The gauges work correctly (kinda pointless if they don't).

Terribly complicated ? Well, I started this project in the Spring of last year, and just now buttoned it all back together. There was alot of fabrication work in a variety of materials involved, above-average electronics and electrical knowledge required, some experimentation (AKA trial & error!), annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd patience.

The only items that are stock, are the front lens and the instrument cluster "tray" (where the cluster plugs into the harness, and the stock gauges bolt to). Even the tray required a substantial amount of modification to make this somewhat of a "plug & play" endeavor.

Is it legal ? I'll keep ya posted on that. Although the Odo is programmable, it only has 5 digits, and, as my Z had more than 100k, there was no point in programming (starting back @ 0 !).

If you like, I can post some production pix of the project.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

Z-bass wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:29 am
Thanks, NLZ32 ! In daylight, with Key-off, the entire instrument cluster is blacked-out. Not even the warning lights are visible. Everything is located behind a smoked plastic panel with additional light-filtering zones.

To answer your questions DCaff:

The gauges work correctly (kinda pointless if they don't).

Terribly complicated ? Well, I started this project in the Spring of last year, and just now buttoned it all back together. There was alot of fabrication work in a variety of materials involved, above-average electronics and electrical knowledge required, some experimentation (AKA trial & error!), annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd patience.

The only items that are stock, are the front lens and the instrument cluster "tray" (where the cluster plugs into the harness, and the stock gauges bolt to). Even the tray required a substantial amount of modification to make this somewhat of a "plug & play" endeavor.

Is it legal ? I'll keep ya posted on that. Although the Odo is programmable, it only has 5 digits, and, as my Z had more than 100k, there was no point in programming (starting back @ 0 !).

If you like, I can post some production pix of the project.
VERY interesting...and DO post any pics you have!
And the legal part is of course the elephant in the room- definitely keep us posted on that part as the rest has less interest if upon inspection, Johnny Law will shut you down for having non-compliant odometer and mileage.
Thanks for sharing!

Z-bass
1994 Z32 N/A 2+2 AT
2005 Pathfinder

Here's some pix from the process.....

Completed intermediate panel with gauges and revised warning lights installed.....

Millwork completed and warning light masks installed in stock instrument tray......

Extraction of warning light masks from stock instrument cluster bezel.......

Enjoy !

MarkII
Car: 1992 300zx 2+2

It look awesome man. Great work!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”