z32 brake upgrade... pedal to the floor?!

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
crono774
Car: 2004 Subaru STi- DD
1990 240sx Hatch- Side Project
1994 240 Vert- Wifeys Project/DD

Hello nico members.
Haven't been on in a while and decided to update an old post and start a new one. As some may know I bought my wife a white vert that she wanted.

Here's some background to the latest problem. We just did a 5 lug and Z32 front brake swap. Didn't use steal braided lines and kept the stock brake mater and booster. She liked the pedal feel compared to her friends 240; she had the same swap except had a z32 brake master. Everything went without a hitch, and for the past month had zero problems. Until last week we finally installed kyb's and lowering springs. Car looks awesome now but a couple of days ago she said her brake pedal felt super hard and when she pressed it again it went straight to the floor. She has to press the brakes very slowly... to slowly... to get the firm pedal stopping power she had before.

So I checked the brake fluid it was full. I jacked the car up to check for leaks under the car and against firewall... zilch. So we bled the brakes a few times. That fixed the prob for about a day. Then it happened again. I used the search bar and google ALOT, and have come to the conclusion the brake master might be going bad? Does that sound about right? From what Ive researched some people have had no problems leaving the automatic booster and master. If it works why fix it right? Any input or "go check" something would be great. Just wanted to run it by everyone before I spend money I don't have at the moment. (end of the month bills :("

Again she likes how her pedal felt so just commenting "upgrade to the z32 and be done with it" doesn't help.

Thanks in advanced

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

It's more than likely the brake master cylinder. If it's never been changed before, then it's definitely past due for service. Since she wants to keep the S13 BMC, go get another.

crono774

Hmm the z brakes probably finished the brake master then. But now I have a new prob. This morning I got in her car to get food (she took my car to work) and when I push the brakes at a stop the cars idle drops to 300rpms and starts to spudder. I parked the car and did the brake booster test w. The car off. I got 2 presses before the pedal got super hard and stared hard until I turned the car on. Is the brake booster going bad to??? :(

Fastazz240
Car: 1995 240 SX, 93 Vert, 95 Hardbody 4X4

yep its the booster thats probably your main problem considering the vac leak from the booster. I have a vert with full z32 all the way around and five lug with the stock master and booster. Now im not sure but i think the auto equipped cars or the verts have a little more stopping power im not sure. I know the boosters are bigger on autos so might give that a shot.

crono774

Well having friends that work at auto zone landed me a z32 brake master (1 1/16 from a 90 zx i believe) for the price of the s13 master; a quick switch-a-roo in the back LOL. And a friend offered to sell the booster off his hatch for 5 bucks and got the nipple thing from an s14 brake master...

Fast you were right the auto booster is huge compared to the manual one that I got. Plus I double checked online to see if a manual one would work just because of the size difference. But anywho the wifey doesn't need to know that. I slapped it all together and a quick bleeding. No more vac leak and stopping power FINALLY... dropped her car off at her job and she didn't even feel a difference during her drive home.

5 dollar fix... gotta love it ;) although she was nice enough to not put gas in my car while she drove it so 45 in gas. Still isnt bad though lol. Thanks for the help everyone.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”