z24 vs z24i WHATS THE DIFF??

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Mrknight1932
Car: 1987 Nissan hardhody kb z24i

Hey new to the forum and would appreciate the help. I just purchased a 1987 Nissan hardbody kcab z24i two days ago, I wanted to know whats all the difference in the z24 vs the z24i AND WHICH IS BEST??? my pops had a 87 hb kcab z24 and man it had balls I mean it would keep up with some v8s, while mine doesn't seem to go past 4k rpms in first or 2nd gear, WHAT GIVES???? :rotflmao :crazy: :mad:

kibatheloanwolf
Car: 1987 D21 2.4L with a 5 speed manual trans
2010 Camry 2.5L with a 6 speed maunal trans

I believe the main difference is that the z24i is a fuel injected and the z24 is carbed other than that they should be about the same

Mrknight1932

I also heard that the intake and head are different as well and that z24i has a maf?

Mrknight1932

I was thinking cant u dyno it and play with the old computer to override that 4k rpm top out??

david29
Car: 1987 Nissan Hardbody D21 King Cab 2wd

From what ive observed, the early Z24's are carbed up until 85 and some 86 model 720's. The Z24i came in all the HArdbody trucks from 86.5-89.

lilhustler
Car: 1984 Nissan Datsun 720 z24L naturally aspired

"OK so heres the deal. I bought an 84 720 with rebuild motor and many new parts. Was told it wouldnt idle because it needed a carb rebuild. After much work I found out that it was a newer electric feedback carb put on a non feedback truck and wouldnt work." (((((((i found this on ratsun.net)))))
i have a stupid simple question for y'all...
Is the z24L (n in the 4th digit) a feedback carburetor. does it have ecu under the seats?
does my carburated engine have all these components even thought it is not fuel injection (egrc-bpt valve, mass air flow sensor, throttle position sensor, egr valve, swirl control valve, etc, etc.)
and is the weber 32/36 feedback carb?

i am getting ready for an engine swap, same motor, is there anything i need to pay attention to when i pull the engine out,
i heard these were sensitive having something to do with setting the timing, does that ring a bell? but i shouldn't have to do any of that. i considered getting into the timing chain cavity and tightening the tensioner and guide. what do you think, the replacement engine has 100,000miles. also is there a gasket between the tranny and engine i should order, and are there specific bolts or hoses, and their sizes you would replace. thanks for the time.

lilhustler
Car: 1984 Nissan Datsun 720 z24L naturally aspired

i didnt get any response so i made a new thread called specifics on the z24L

lilhustler wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:15 am
"OK so heres the deal. I bought an 84 720 with rebuild motor and many new parts. Was told it wouldnt idle because it needed a carb rebuild. After much work I found out that it was a newer electric feedback carb put on a non feedback truck and wouldnt work." (((((((i found this on ratsun.net)))))
i have a stupid simple question for y'all...
Is the z24L (n in the 4th digit) a feedback carburetor. does it have ecu under the seats?
does my carburated engine have all these components even thought it is not fuel injection (egrc-bpt valve, mass air flow sensor, throttle position sensor, egr valve, swirl control valve, etc, etc.)
and is the weber 32/36 feedback carb?

i am getting ready for an engine swap, same motor, is there anything i need to pay attention to when i pull the engine out,
i heard these were sensitive having something to do with setting the timing, does that ring a bell? but i shouldn't have to do any of that. i considered getting into the timing chain cavity and tightening the tensioner and guide. what do you think, the replacement engine has 100,000miles. also is there a gasket between the tranny and engine i should order, and are there specific bolts or hoses, and their sizes you would replace. thanks for the time.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”