z24 to SR20DE swap

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
z24original

hi thereim new to the forum and was wondering what it would take and how hard it would be to put a SR20DE motor or similar into a 1986.5 720 pickup?

Kira-Hachi
Car: 1990 Sileighty / 1986 720 KingCab

Welcome to NICO. Nice to see another person from Saskatchewan on forums! Vonda is so ridiculously small haha, but I lived in Clavet so I'm not one to talk. SR20 in a 720 hey, were you thinking the DET or just a DE? I would think both are very possible, given a KA24 swap is done frequently into these trucks, which have the identical motor mounts of a SR20DET. If you had only planned on the DE, have you considered a KA? Easier to find (not like anything is easy to find around here)

To be honest however, I do not know from personal experience if it is doable and if it is a lot of work, as I have left my 720 with the stock Z24.

Btw, it's a little unrelated but, if you are looking for parts, Ron's 4x4 salvage has a fair chunk of 720's. (It's just before Borden) Just don't expect to find any good body panels, I pretty much took the last good set they had lol. Taillights are a no go either. (I still don't have new ones, had to use Tuck Tape >_>)

z24original

I actually have very good tail lights (not even faded or cracked) and the body is top notch (just a bit of work to do with rust. The thing is that since the z24 motor blew I don't want to put anything in that will most likely fail again, I just wanted to put in something a little more high performance that can handle my hard driving, does any body know if the motor mounts need to be modified or if the tranny needs to be changed?

Kira-Hachi
Car: 1990 Sileighty / 1986 720 KingCab

Well, the KA24 motor I had in my 240sx took all sorts of beating and it never died. I've also heard others who put their motor through all sorts of hell and it survives.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

I considered doing the same swap. SR20DET. Lots to do for it to work. Fuel pump to change, panel instruments to change for something compatible, the sump has to be modified, the oil strainer has to be relocated, the drive shaft has to be changed, the mounts in particular the gearbox has to be modified, the fuel lines will need to be larger and then there is the wiring to contend with. Its a great project to do but time consuming and a little costly. if you would be going DET the diff may need changing also. Not trying to burst your bubble just giving the facts. I ended swapping a Z20 instead.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

the SR is possible... and has been done before... but its not exactly easy and the tranny and driveshaft will need to be replaced as well

the build i will someday finish (which has only been done once before) is dual sidedraft mikuni carbs on the z24 block with a KA24E head... high compression pistons and cam... port and polish on the head... the one time it was done before was good for 300 hp... but i'm gonna for a little less... around 200 at the wheels

z24original

Actually by the sounds of it, i dont think im gonna be able 2 do this swap, i would actually like to put an SD22(diesel) from another 82 datsun because the bodys going on it. Now i kno there are a few issues with this type of swap. For one fact is that the diesel needs to have a power steering pump mount because the z24 has power steering, another is the tranny, it needs to be swapped out right? and finally would it just be easier to rebuild the z24 instead of having to rebuild the SD22 then swap it it?Thanks
Modified by z24original at 8:46 PM 8/17/2009

PEZi

i'd say its easier to stay with the z24... but i'm biased... i actually like the z24 except for the head

i say rebuild it... but do something with the head to make it last... maybe a port and polish

the z24 is basically a KA24E that's carbed... just with a bogus head

and you don't actually need power steering... i deleted mine in order to reduce rotational mass for acceleration

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

Just for reference, I have a 97 d21. I removed the power steering belt and took a test drive just to see how it worked. It wasn't anything like my old 1987 model that came stock with no PS. It was uncontrollably stiff and felt very unsafe, and un-fun. BTW, it has 235/75r15 tires, still, it wasn't like the manual box was. IDK if it was because the dead pump was still in-line with the hoses or what.

PEZi

mine was still till i drained some of the fluid... you're still pushing it all around making it harder to steer until some of it comes out. i left just a little in there so i would lubricate and that's it

z24original

Actually i think the diesel will do perfectly since the engine bay is exactly the same and hasn't changed, my problem is the gauges. Since it was a gas and going to be a diesel there is no tachometer hookup. And since it has the 4x4 gauges I don't know how hard it's going to be trying to hook them up. Anyone with any tutorials on how to do this?

bignasty720
Car: 1986 720 4x4

does the head bolt directly on? im running a z24 in my 86.5 720 4x4, it was a z24i till i junk that POS TBI. i took the intake off an old motor i had put it on, then a 36/36 syncro weber. it makes great power now, but...my question is could i use a KA head, and keep my weber? what kind of difference would having the Z head ported and polished?

671Napz
Car: 85 Nissan 720

PEZi wrote:the SR is possible... and has been done before... but its not exactly easy and the tranny and driveshaft will need to be replaced as well

the build i will someday finish (which has only been done once before) is dual sidedraft mikuni carbs on the z24 block with a KA24E head... high compression pistons and cam... port and polish on the head... the one time it was done before was good for 300 hp... but i'm gonna for a little less... around 200 at the wheels

I was wondering what transmission will be compatible for the sr20det to go into a 85 napz?

Return to “Datsun 720”