z22 motor problem

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
jwrattlesnake
Car: 1982 datsun 4x4 truck

i pulled the valve cover off to find the sprocket was on the #2 pin and the chain was on #3 ....thats out of time right???....it was put on wrong....but can it actually run like that....i know on a v8 it wont even crank....but ive switched wires with the wrong ones in place and it still run....just ruff...has no power ofcourse....my question is dont you have to have the chain on the same number as the camshaft pin....1 2 or 3 with 1 2 or 3....cant do 2 on cam and 3 on chain????

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

I love timing issues.....

First step...Make sure you are at TDC meaning pull the # 1 spark plug and make sure the piston is all the way at the top on the compression stroke.

Next step...Make sure your cam timing "V" mark is lined up just a touch advanced to the # 1 cam tower mark. I think your # 1 & 2 cam lobes will be at 10 & 2 on the clock.

With the crankchaft lined up to TDC, # 1 piston at the top on the compression stroke, and cam markings are lined up....then it does not matter where the bright chain link sets.

The bright link position will never be in the right mark after you run the engine due to the fact that the gear ratio places that bright link in a different position on every revolution.

jwrattlesnake
Car: 1982 datsun 4x4 truck

dang that sux....lol....thanks for the info...so i was wrong to think the timing chain was off....because of the links....lmao.....im a complete idiot....ive already started taking the chain off...i guess all thats left is a burnt valve ....this isnt a good first impression on nissans...but thanks for the help my friend

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

No problem...that is what this place is here for.

Let me know how it works out.

Return to “Datsun 720”