Z tube

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Gsango
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35

Can anyone give me a step by step instruction on how to install the z tube on a 2006 G35 coupe 6MT with a stillen hi flow intake?

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

This is easier than you are probably thinking.

To install a Stillen or POP Charger Intake (I know JWT gives you instructions, but you never know):

Note: if you aren't installing the Z-tube, disregard Steps 2 & 3 except for unplugging the MAF.

1) Using a 10mm socket, loosen bolt holding the air box to the body. Loosen the hose clamp at the front of the MAF with a screw driver or 8mm socket (the one closest to stock air box; be careful with the MAF, do not drop it or allow dirt to get inside). Pull up on air box and filter until it comes out, don't be afraid if you have to get a little rough with it, just don't get out of control.

2) Remove engine cover (10mm socket). Unplug the MAF harness (MAF is the unit right after the filter going up the intake with the wires going into it). Loosen hose clamp at the rear of the stock intake tube (at the engine), remove the small hose connected to the stock tube. Pull the tube from the engine, you will also be pulling up the resonance chamber.

3) Put the Z-tube on. Connect the hose to the same port (PCV port) on the Z-tube except now it will be on the bottom when you put the tube on. Put the hose clamp on the Z-tube and attach to the engine and tighten the clamp. Again, be careful with the MAF attached to the stock tube.

4a) Stillen Remove the MAF from the stock tube and place it onto the air box/filter of the Stillen. Now install the filter/air box and MAF as one unit as per the instructions from Stillen (I would hope they gave you some. If not, use the hardware and remember how things were on the stock air box...someone who's done this particular install might want to clear this step up for me).

4b) JWT Install the heat shield and filter. Line up the hole with the air dam, it will only fit one way. Push it as far back as it will go along the body and attach the supplied bracket (refer to your instructions for pictures). Get the rubber pieces that connect the air dam and heat shield situated (one inside the other, male to female) Take the filter with the aluminum venturi and attach the MAF to it. Attach the aluminum bracket as well between the MAF and venturi stack, but keep it slightly loose for final adjustment. Finally take all that as a unit and attach the filter/MAF to the intake tube and attach the aluminum bracket to the body where the one bolt was for the stock air box. Get the filter/tube situated so its not touching any other lines and tighten at the MAF. Tighten the hose clamp at the MAF. Attach the remaining bracket to the stock air dam.

5) Plug the MAF harness back in, replace engine cover, and make sure everything is secure, the intake isn't touching any of the other lines and you should be set to go.

This post has been modified from its original format to fit the needs of almost everyone.

If anything needs to be changed, post it.

Modified by smockers83 at 2:15 PM 6/21/2007
Modified by smockers83 at 10:19 AM 12/14/2007

Gsango
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35

Thanks for the great info

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

nice job Smocks!!

smockers83

Thanks, not bad during an all-nighter at 4 am eh? I noticed the clean up on aisle 5, definitely a lot more organized...I like. Maybe add this one to the How To with a little editing so that it can be used for the POP Charger, too, since its a pretty similar install?

G_whizz

That is definitely and idea...if you want to do that... it would earn you a Custom title (mine is G35 moderator, Chad1200 because of his article write up is "Guineau Pig" <<<<his choice...lol) you can make a name of your choice!\Let me know

smockers83

How about G35 Yooper?

G_whizz

LOL..dare I ask what a yooper is

When your write up is ready...let me know and I will put the request in

smockers83

I'm going to go ahead and say its ready.

A Yooper is someone from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, there's a whole deal about it on wikipedia if you really want to know the whole story.

G_whizz

As per your request Mr. Yooper

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”