Z-Fever:Anatomy of a Custom Intake Manifold (VQ35)

Discuss topics related to the VQ series engine.
z-fever
Car: (5) 300ZXTT's, 240Z, R33 Skyline GTR, RHD Silvia Convertible, NSX,

I am Doug from Z-Fever. We build custom cars and do a lot of custom fabrication. We are currently building a VQ35DE powered 280ZX (old school but cool). We had to make a custom upper intake manifold to get the OEM hood to fit without hitting the engine. So, I figured I would do a tutorial of what it takes to make a custom intake manifold from start to finish.
I hope you find it interesting and educational.
Enjoy....

We start by scanning the stock gaskets where the lower plenum meets the intake manifold and the throttle body gaskets. Once we do that we digitize them to work with our design software. The images look like this:

Then we create those 2D image into 3D images:

Then from those images we create the program that will tell the machine how to cut the blocks of stainless into these shapes. This program details the speed the machine rotates each bit, what type of bit to use on each cut, in what order to make each cut, and more. The finished products look like this:

From here we create the image of what we expect the finished part will look like. We take the finished 3D images and fuse them together into a complete image. We also rotate and measure as we go making each piece fit so that we can get to the bolts on the intake flange. We map out exactly where each mandrel bent 2" tube has to be welded to the flange so that the clearances are accurate. This is what that looks like:

Then we make the intake plenum side wall where the mandrel bent tubes meet the intake. We make this ONLY after determining where the holes need to go in order to be able to get to the mounting points of the lower flange:

Then we put all the pieces together and cut out the 15"x15" piece of 16 gauge stainless that the intake plenum will be made from, the 4"x7" pieces that the front and back plenum walls will be made from, and we start welding.

Here is a pic of all the pieces before welding:
Here are the (6) - 2" 90 degree mandrels:
Here is the folded 15"x15" stainless section:

We start by welding the mandrels to the intake side wall (you will see that the folded intake section is attatched to this side wall at this point but only to keep the side wall from bending and contorting its shape while being welded on):

Then we weld the mandrels to the lower flange:

Then we cut off the sections of the mandrels that are sticking through the side wall of the plenum:

Then we fit the rounded plenum section to fit the side wall. Making sure that the clearance to the valve cover is accurate and also making sure that we increase velocity of airflow away from the throttle so that the cylinders furthest from the entry point get an equal amount of air as the one's closest to the entry point:

Then we weld the throttle body flange to the 3" stainless mandrel intake pipe:

Then we weld the 3" stainless mandrel pipe onto the intake plenum at the angle we need to make the clearance to the valve cover and the hood.... It looks a little something like this:
(BTW... you may notice the Z-Fever logo plate on the intake tube. We already made the cold air intake pipe with the air flow meter flange we made welded to it rather than using the stock black plastic air flow meter housing, looks a ton better in IMO)

This shot offers you a good look at the inside of the intake after it is all together.

By tomorrow morning (maybe 30 mins after we open) we will have this all closed up and the engine will be running. We will post dyno #'s after we get them to see if we have any actual realized gains.

As always, I hope you appreciate our post.
Last edited by z-fever on Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

SullivanRacing06
Car: r32 gtst, 06 350z, r32 gtr, rs4 steaga, 04 350z, f350/6bt

dyno numbers? or another failed z fever project that was dumped on a customer?

z-fever
Car: (5) 300ZXTT's, 240Z, R33 Skyline GTR, RHD Silvia Convertible, NSX,

Actually, it is but another very successful VQ35 swap that we have created, built, completed, delivered, and made another customer extremely happy. We have been in business for 25 years building custom Nissan vehicles and you don't achieve that by failing, you do that by being the best at what you do. I did some research and found that your name is Tom Sullivan. You have never been a customer of ours and as such don't know where you think it is appropriate to make negative comments about us. We strive to make high quality cars and we do swaps that most people can't. We do this for a living Tom. This is no joke to us. We take our business very seriously.
If you have an issue with us, you can contact me directly at 813-294-9227. I would love to discuss this further.
You are the problem with the internet
Here is a video of the manifold we built installed on a VQ35 we swapped into a 280ZX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkN_BFLdOE0

left shin
Car: 1990 300zx NA

Pics are down...

SullivanRacing06
Car: r32 gtst, 06 350z, r32 gtr, rs4 steaga, 04 350z, f350/6bt

yea you tried to charge me 229.00 for a aem map sensor when i was on your dyno with my r32..

you make money from ripping people off by selling them ebay/megan racing/isis products labeled as z fever products.

Return to “VQ30DE / VQ35DE / VQ35HR Forum”