Z car bumpers

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
AngryDriver
Car: My Z car, sleeping, and doing other teenager related activities

ive recently aquired a 1976 280Z and i simply love it. but right now im in a quandry about it. it didnt come with a rear bumper, which actually looks really neat (except for the bumper mounts sticking out of the back.) So i was wondering, is it better to get a replacement rear bumper, for showmanship, or take the front bumper off as well the bumper mounts, for neatness and class? im not to sure about other states, but is it against the law to drive a car with no bumpers? i asked my local police and they said they werent to clear on the matter, but would suggest having them on. and plus i really like the look of no bumpers on the z!

reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

Removing the rear bumper mounts on the 75 - 78 Zcar involves droping the gas tank. This usually means replacing all of the vent and supply hoses and figuring out how to fix the rusty stuff that broke instead of just unbolting.

On the other hand, the bumpers are easy to find and they are true 5mph bumpers. I got hit in the rear in a 78 that I owned several years ago by a kid doing about 20mph. I saw it coming and go off the brakes. The results were ZERO damage to the Z (none, zip, zero) and a bunch to the nose of a Honda.

The bumpers are not pretty, but they do work. None of this applies to the 240Z. Those bumpers are purely for decoration.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”