You'll laugh, You'll cry, You'll drool

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
GOING DEEP
Car: 350Z Roadster Twin Turbo

Okay, okay lets get down to it. For those of you who know me I can write a hell of a kill story. But this time its different. This is a story that will make you laugh, cry, and want to hug your significant other(or at least hug your damn computer you loser, and you need to get out more, j/k, no hate mail please). Whats a story without a there I was, there I was....Once again at the track here in the mile high city(No, not Denver, Albuquerque, stay with me). Had an awesome time at the track with the best time of 12.8 at 117mph. Yeah, it was definately a good time. Later that evening I was driving in town and going about 40 mph when I heard a rumble and my engine shut off. I thought to myself" please let it be something simple like an alternator or maybe even my dumb luck to run out of fuel". I coasted to one of the side streets and just sat there for a moment running ideas through my mind. Ideas like, should I look under the hood(like if Im going to rip something apart, but hey at least I will look concernced), or another idea like just give it another shot and see if she wants to start. After a couple of minutes, I decided to check the oil and make sure I didn't burn through too much or something. Still had electrical power. Temperature normal. Fuel normal. No error messages on the Profec. What the hell, let me give her another prod(try and start the engine, you sicko). After a brief turn of the key, I heard that unnerving rumble again. I stopped cold in tracks. Now, I made the decision to just have my Z towed and not risk any possible damage. Hey, I knew that roadside assistance was good for something. So, I get my Z towed to my performance shop and let her sit there until the morning.

Next day, Monday, thats yesterday, today's tuesday, tomorrow's wednesday, then comes thursday. Get it?

So, now the for the tears. I broke a rod. I broke rod #2 and they knew immediatly once they took the oil pan off. They checked the plugs and they were not molten pieces of metal, only #2 spark plug was a little oily. Thats expected since thats the rod that went pop. Now for more trajedy...when the rod decided to give me the finger(they don't actually have fingers, this is a metaphor for the rod telling me to go f*ck myself) it decided to damage the block too. Let me say that again, rod #2 no more workie, block bye bye. I know, I know, it was a tough reality to deal with. Moment of silence. Here's the caveat, I was not running more boost then other guys with the same stock internals. Bad rod?? Overboost?? Not sure, still trying to piece things together, no pun intended. Believe you me. Whatever that means.

Enough with the loss. Now, lets get down to business and the recovery. The moment I found out, it took me a few minutes to gather my thoughts and get back on my feet. Like the poor victims in Florida when they lose that home they cared for so much and then some idiot reporter asks them, "So, whatcha going to do now?" But, they enthusiatically answer with a crack in there voice and a tear in there eye "We're going to rebuild!!!"

And thats it. I have already started to get the ball rolling. So far so good. My current list of goodies...

Buying a used block tomorrow from another Z...kinda like a heart transplant, that block will live to see another day but with more power and torque.

Compression ration 9:1Rods...CarrilloPistons...RossMain head bolts/studs ARPClutch...yet to be determinedFlywheel...yet to be determinedBlock ported, ....definately up to parFuel system....yet to be determined, definately upgradedDriveshaft...yet to be determined if it should be replacedGOAL: To SAFELY, push 10-13psi with my new goodies and try to get at least 500RWHP uncorrected.

And by the way, my wife says this is my birthday present, christimas present and anniversary present for the next 5 years. Damn I love that little women. But yet again, my wheels will have to wait. Its going to happen one of these days.

I would appreciate no "I told you so", because as mentioned somewhere in this lengthy post, I was not pushing anymore boost than other guys have with stock internals.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Sorry to hear about your rod..

Can't wait to see pics of a the build-up though!!How much are all those goodies?

How much rwhp do you think you will wind up with?

Fred..

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

so how much boost were you running? and I assume you were in boost when the dreaded noise came calling? stock ECU?your page references the walbrough fuel pump is that already on or coming with the new set up? I kinda wander about the stock fuel lines handling enough fuel as well (but then my car is 34 years old and it's fuel lines were tiny)also I am sure the newer Nissan EO ECU;s are lightyears beyond the 83 units but if your looking at big power like that I'd want a standalone as well

GOING DEEP

I was running at 8psi of boost at an elevation of 5500feet in albuquerque. That translates to 6-7psi at sea level. I had my Walbro fuel pump installed with the TT kit together. At that psi, fuel supply shouldn't have been an issue. Build up is already in progress, just received my block today.

jEzTeR
Car: 07 FX35 - 02 Altima 3.5se - 93 240sx Hatch

Wow! what a story.That sucks.

What kind of time frame are you looking at to get your Z back to the track?

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

Probably just had an imperfection in the rod somewhere. Sorry to hear that. I hope ur up and running again soon, but this time even stronger.

GOING DEEP

My Z should be on the road mid January and the track opens in Feb. But, I need to break in the engine first.(No pun intended)

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Please kep us posted, we need details like pics and $$ per item.

Some here are curious and might have to go that route too sometime...

Fred..

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

still gonna run the strock ECU? just seems like ti would limit your potential

GOING DEEP

The plan for now is to run the emange piggy back along with my profec eo1. But, I am researching stand alone units down the road. I want to the full capacity of my current setup before I throw some more coin at my Z. As you can only imagine, I've been throwing alot at it lately.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”