Yet another New Member/Owner Couple Q's

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
Mustang64p
Car: 1984 Nissan 720 regular Cab

Hello Everyone, I just purchased a 1984 720 regular cab 4x4 with the 2.4L. I wasnt really expecting to get one even though I had always liked them. I purchased it to be my daily driver while I re-restore my 64.5 Mustang. However I'm pretty excited about working on it now as well. I picked it up for $1800 paints a little faded minimal rustc old A/C, and the interior is excellent in my opinion. Pictures below. Seem like a pretty good purchase?

I do have a couple questions though

1. Is the steering Wheel I have factory? I thought it was pretty unique for a factory truck, but regardless I'm good with it. I think it's pretty cool.

2. Where is a good place to purchase parts for these trucks? I mean I know aftermarket companys like jcwhitney etc. However where can I get factor parts like a new interior dome light, clips for the sun shades and the emblem for the 4wd select.

3. Another Q is where can I get more info on these trucks? Such as model descriptions what options were available for each trim level etc. Aslo just general reviews or FAQs? I googled everywhere and only found a few articles that go into any kind of depth.

Overall I would like to thank everyone I'm excited about my new truck and look forward to contributing to these forums.

Radio Ron
Car: 1985 720 Pickup

Welcome to the group.Your steering wheel looks aftermarket to me.It's nothing like the wheel on my '85.I've found lots of stuff listed on ebay, original Nissanlit. etc.I just bought a '85 729 factory service manual there.There may also be guys here that have parts trucks sittingaround.I was looking for a Nissan name script and found one quicklyfrom one of the member of this forum,

Enjoy your 720, I love mine, by dad bought it newand I got it when he passed away about 15 years ago.

73, Ron w4ron http://radioheaven.homestead.com/menu.html

Johnny's 85

Wow the inside looks real good

Mustang64p

Thanks for the compliment, I was definately impressed when i saw the interior myself.

I agree theat the wheel looks aftermarket but then i saw that the center cap says Nissan which could definately still be aftermarket but helped add to my uncertainty, paired also with that fact I bought it off the original owner who didnt touch anything so he said.

Thanks for the idea on ebay sad I didn't think of that:) I guess i'm spoiled from my 64.5 Mustang where i can buy ANYTHING new just about. Oh well the scavenger hunt begins. Thanks again.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

I have 2 720's and one has the same steering wheel. So it might be factory.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Get parts where you can find them.

As far as info. I got a haynes manual of amazon. I think ron just got an FSM of ebay.

The haynes manual covers Datsun/Nissan Pick-ups(1980-1997) and Pathfinders(1987-1995) 2wd and 4wd.

Radio Ron
Car: 1985 720 Pickup

breadbox wrote:I have 2 720's and one has the same steering wheel. So it might be factory.
If it is factory, I'd like to find one of those for my 720, it looks nice.

per84720
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

Radio Ron wrote:
If it is factory, I'd like to find one of those for my 720, it looks nice.
Man I want one too

phlebmaster
Car: 1973 240z L26 4spd rip roar and ready to go!

Welcome to the forum

per84720
Car: 1984 Nissan 720

Maybe its an 720 ST steering wheel ..not sure though ..i dont know how they look..just heard of them...what makes a 720 ST

Mustang64p

Thanks for the welcome everyone. It is much appreciated. Yeah I guess it is just a scavanger hunt to find parts, so I have learned. Thats interesting about the steering wheel. I would also like to know what differentiates an ST from a deluxe etc. Any one have some insight on this?

Supererogator
Car: 1980 Datsun 720 King Cab

Being an old Mustang guy myself (I have a 65 that I've owned since I was 15 and needs restoration), I have found that we are very spoiled with a car that has such a cult following. I have not found any of the after market repros, or old stocks that are around for my Mustang. I do love my little Datsun though. Even after just the few short months I have had her. Welcome aboard.

Do keep on ebay. I recently found an original locking steering column ignition switch, which I was digging for.

720Drifter
Car: 1985 Nissan 720 Pick-up

N
Mustang64p wrote:Hello Everyone, I just purchased a 1984 720 regular cab 4x4 with the 2.4L. I wasnt really expecting to get one even though I had always liked them. I purchased it to be my daily driver while I re-restore my 64.5 Mustang. However I'm pretty excited about working on it now as well. I picked it up for $1800 paints a little faded minimal rustc old A/C, and the interior is excellent in my opinion. Pictures below. Seem like a pretty good purchase?

I do have a couple questions though

1. Is the steering Wheel I have factory? I thought it was pretty unique for a factory truck, but regardless I'm good with it. I think it's pretty cool.

2. Where is a good place to purchase parts for these trucks? I mean I know aftermarket companys like jcwhitney etc. However where can I get factor parts like a new interior dome light, clips for the sun shades and the emblem for the 4wd select.

3. Another Q is where can I get more info on these trucks? Such as model descriptions what options were available for each trim level etc. Aslo just general reviews or FAQs? I googled everywhere and only found a few articles that go into any kind of depth.

Overall I would like to thank everyone I'm excited about my new truck and look forward to contributing to these forums.

nOPE FROM WHAT I KNOW IT WAS AN OPTION I HAD FOUND IN A JUNKYARD INSIDE A BUSTED DOWN 720 AND TOOK IT HOME POLISHED IT AND INSTALLED ON MY TRUCK, IT WAS A PERFECT FIT. I LOVE IT

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

steering wheel is stock... i have the same one only black!

i'm not completely sure which trucks came with them and which ones didn't... but it is a stock nissan wheel!

Return to “Datsun 720”