yet another GTi-R B13 swap thread

For discussion of front-drive SR20DE, SR20VE and SR20DET engines!
skillzilla

**Mods, I also posted this in the Sentra-specific forum, feel free to delete whichever one you feel is less relevant***

Hello, I have been searching for an answer to this but didnt find anything definitive, so any info would be helpful. I am considering a B13 SE-R as my new project, and am weighing the options for a swap. When researching the GTi-R swap I noticed a lot of places recommended using a JWT chipped ECU and the US wiring harness. So, why do people go this route? What keeps us from using the Pulsar harness and ECU, and wiring it in like you would a S13 SR swap (constant/switched power, fuel pump, etc). Also, are there any detailed write-ups for this swap into a Sentra SE-R classic? If you have any threads or pages bookmarked then links would be nice, I searched but didnt find what Im looking for.

Lastly, opinions on GTi-R vs BB SR with t28? Do the ITB's and injectors warrant the extra headaches? I also saw some mention of problems with the GTi-R flywheel, whats up with that?

TIA peeps

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

I posted this in the other thread, then saw this one, so I'm going to copy and paste (ignore the irrelevant "check FWD SR" part) and delete the other thread.

Pulsar harness won't hook up with the Sentra dash harness because the Pulsar is a different chassis entirely, and figuring out the wiring for a Sentra harness on a Pulsar ECU would be obnoxious, to say the least. The different harness thing works on 240s because it's the same chassis and has the same sort of wiring and connections to begin with.

Check out the Table of Contents stickied at the top. There's a couple of info threads there that would be useful.

I know the GTi-R swap has been discussed and someone mentioned the problems, have you been to the FWD SR section?

Whether it's worth the headache is entirely up to you. If you want maximum power, it probably is, but if you just want a streetable boosted SE-R, the GTi-R setup is probably more hassle than it's worth - fyi, the GTi-R's flywheel doesn't mate up with the SE-R transmission. I think the solution people use is using the SE-R flywheel.

If you are still interested in a GTi-R setup after you consider what you want out of this car, I can do a bit more digging for specifics and help you out.

skillzilla

Great info, thanks a lot. I didnt even think about the dash plug, makes a lot of sense (we all like gauges, huh? ). I dont mind wiring but that does sound like a PITA, especially if they use different voltages, signals, etc.

I will most definitely take a closer look at the stickied threads, maybe I just missed the links I was looking for. If you have a minute any links you have would be awesome too, Im really just looking for a step by step write up for the conversion. Ive done quite a few SR/RB swaps but in my experiences it pays to do your research

nametakennow
Car: '06 MINI Cooper S

Gotcha. In terms of write-ups, I've never seen a how-to for this. Generally people get lazy and say it's just like any other DET, but you need some other stuff - then they don't specify what.

Anyway, I'll do some hunting and see what I can dig up.

boriquaS13
Car: 92 240sx

I used the u12 bluebird det in my swap (b14 chasis) it was fairly easy I used my stock harness with the jwt tune(very easy turn key pretty much). Don't know much about the gti-r but have heard it is a little harder. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

boriquaS13

boriquaS13

johngriff
Car: 240sx

Heh guys!

i have done the GTI-R swap into the B13 more than a hand full of times.

Always use the Stock SE-R harness, with the GTI-R ecu.

Its an EASY swap, so don't let anyone scare you out of it.

Off the top of my head.

Grind a girdle down on the bottom of the oil pan. Redrill the Se-R flywheel holes to take the larger bolts.Make sure you have the GTI-R MAFChange the injector wires for the new top feeds on the SE-R harness and add resistors.Change one connector on the IACV to go from a square plug to a round plug.

Other wise, bolt in, very easy, VERY FAST.

skillzilla

johngriff wrote:Heh guys!

i have done the GTI-R swap into the B13 more than a hand full of times.

Always use the Stock SE-R harness, with the GTI-R ecu.

Its an EASY swap, so don't let anyone scare you out of it.

Off the top of my head.

Grind a girdle down on the bottom of the oil pan. Redrill the Se-R flywheel holes to take the larger bolts.Make sure you have the GTI-R MAFChange the injector wires for the new top feeds on the SE-R harness and add resistors.Change one connector on the IACV to go from a square plug to a round plug.

Other wise, bolt in, very easy, VERY FAST.
Thats great news, what about the ECU like we talked about before? Will the dash wiring be a PITA at all?

johngriff
Car: 240sx

Nothing had to happen on the dash wiring.

skillzilla

Oh snap, so the GTi-R ECU harness dash plug goes right on the Sentra female dash connector, nothing has to be re-wired? If that is the case, I may just go this route and give JWT the finger.

Return to “SR20DE / SR20VE / SR20DET Forum (front drive)”