Yes, it's possible to drive 100+ miles in a Nissan Leaf

The web's first forum dedicated to Nissan's groundbreaking electric car, the Nissan Leaf.
Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Yes, it's totally possible to drive 100+ miles in a Nissan Leaf in freezing cold

Plug-in electric vehicle drivers can potentially drive their EVs long distances under extreme weather conditions. The catch is that they have to drastically change their driver behavior.

Read full story here: http://green.autoblog.com/2013/12/26/dr ... -freezing/

Mela
Car: Micra

...drivers need to heat up their car while plugged into the grid and maybe wear thermal clothing and caps to drive without the heater turned on to get more range

Seriously????? What's the point then? It was easier and cheaper not to install heating systems then if I can't use them because they shorten the range and I risk not to get to work. It's in winter that I need heating; if cold temperatures drastically cut down the range of those cars why not create a system that keeps the battery pack at a certain temperature whilst plugged in and during the travel? it will cut down range but probably it would still be better than it is now...

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

yes freeze ya arse of for longer range, how cold we talkin in like 10 to 20 below

apvbguy
Car: 2013 LEAF SV

sure it's possible, just don't go over 30 MPH

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

9 Cars That Average 50 MPG or Better on the Highway: You'll Be Shocked By No. 1!

2. Mitsubishi i SE – 116 mpge
Someone had to produce the cheapest electric vehicle; and why not Mitsubishi! The subcompact Mitsubishi i SE is an all-electric vehicle with absolutely no frills attached. Its stodgy interior can fit four people and the car itself can get an EPA-rated 62 miles on a single charge for an MSRP of less than $29,000 before tax breaks. Of course, this cheaper price comes with some drawbacks as well. The car has top speed of just 81 mph (perhaps with the wind at its back), but more importantly has just a 62-mile range and can take 21 hours on a standard 110-volt charger to reach a full charge. If you pony up for the 240-volt charger (which I strongly suggest you do), the charge time dips to an expected six to seven hours.

But the No. 1 most "fuel-efficient" vehicle on the highway is...

1. Nissan Leaf SL – 118 mpge
Taking the top spot in terms of highway fuel-efficiency is Nissan's Leaf SL which gets an average of 84 miles per each full charge. Although the Nissan Leaf costs a few thousand more than the Mitsubishi i SE, it comfortably seats five people, offers a respectable 107 horsepower, and the SL model comes with upgrades such as 17-inch alloy wheels, fog lights, and leather-appointed seats. Long story short, with the exception of price point, the Nissan Leaf SL appears to be superior in every way to the closely rated Mitsubishi i SE. It may not compared with the Tesla Model S driving range by any means, but it gives cost conscious and carbon footprint aware consumers a perfect vehicle to turn to in the U.S.

Return to “Leaf Forum”