YAY OR NAY ON THIS BENTLEY - closed - not buying

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I agree. I am forcing myself to ignore the "omg I want it!" feelings so that I can shop intelligently and make an informed decision. The car appeared to be sitting level when I tested it. It is possible that the road has a depression where it was parked for these photos. The interior is what I would rate at 8 out of 10 mostly because the driver seat hide has been stretched - possibly by a previous owner of size and weight that would ruin any seat. Then there is the previous owners. Seems this car changed hands quite a bit. There is also a very slight loose area between the rear seats, but I see that in almost all the used Arnage sedans I have examined. There are NO used Arnage models at Bentley dealers in Miami, Palm Beach, or Ft Lauderdale for 2001-2004 model years. This is a 2005 and I don't fancy the changes to the headlamps beginning in 2005. I want to stay between $35-45,000 for price and I am looking to get the best condition, lowest mileage, and least issues inside that price range. I will be keeping my M35 until it stops running which is seemingly forever.
I will pay to have the car inspected at Holman in Fort Lauderdale - factory authorized service and sales for Asston Martin, Rolls Royce, and Bentley.

picoman
Car: 2006 M35X

I've heard they pull like a 747 on takeoff. That would be fun.
My opinion though is that a Bentley/Rolls is the kind of car you get when you are either
-So wealthy that you just want to be driven around in the most comfortable car possible
-Care too much what others think and want others to think you are rich.

I would be more inclined to spring for a Lexus LS, Merc S-class, or BMW 7er unless

Perhaps you could rent it out to thugs for rap videos and make money on the side, in that case its a smart business move :P

Larz

picoman wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:04 am
I've heard they pull like a 747 on takeoff. That would be fun.
My opinion though is that a Bentley/Rolls is the kind of car you get when you are either
-So wealthy that you just want to be driven around in the most comfortable car possible
-Care too much what others think and want others to think you are rich.

I would be more inclined to spring for a Lexus LS, Merc S-class, or BMW 7er unless

Perhaps you could rent it out to thugs for rap videos and make money on the side, in that case its a smart business move :P
Your 2 reasons to own a Bentley are completely valid, but there are more than just those 2 reasons. Personally, I can't be bothered to buy anything from pants to pajamas just to make someone else think a particular thought about me. And as far as wealth, I'm filthy rich compared to some and exceedingly average compared to some. I see your point though. I have all seen expensive cars (Cadillac, BMW, etc) parked up in front of a run-down house in a low income neighborhood or trailer park - the car payment taking up the bulk of the income each month. That doesn't make me think they are rich - just less than savvy about how they spend their money. As for Rolls Royce, the only models I liked ended in the 1960's with the Phantom V series - 20 years before I was born.
My desire to own a Bentley is pure - a classic hand crafted car, stately yet powerful, with a rich history and a world renowned heritage. The average owner of a Bentley GT is worth about 3 million but the average owner of a Bentley Arnage is worth 30 million. Who else would spend $400k on a car that depreciates $250,000 in just 5 years! The 2001-2005 Arnage peaked at about $250,000 new but sells for less than $60,000 today, and values are now climbing back up (assuming condition and mileage of less than 5,000 per year). That is an incredible value! To drive a large, powerful saloon that is hand crafted from the finest materials from around the world for the price of a cramped little plastic and vinyl BMW 3 series!

picoman

Sounds like a memorable life experience waiting to happen. Do eet!

EdBwoy

It's a yay for me (kinda). I am not that well-versed with the market for Bentleys, but it seems to offer a good value for money. The tech is old, but the build definitely refined.
People in the know claim a Bentley is a driver's car, while a Rolls is a chauffer's car. I like to buy my car at the bottom of depreciation because Lord knows I'll be putting miles and wearing the drivers seat if it's a car worth owning, which generally results in lower resale values; so that's my kind of car.

You've dreamed about the car and it's here. However, as you have already mentioned, it is listed a little higher than others. Then you already plan to do some repairs which will bump your true cost of ownership even higher. If you really like it as much as I think you do, then consider it and make an offer contingent on a thorough PPI (pre-purchase inspection)
This is a nice dilemma to be in, and I hope if you get it, it makes you as happy as the Fleetwood did.

I am all for making money in any way time allows, but I don't know how much demand a 13-year-old luxury car has outside of purists. Uber maybe? Prom night rentals? It might take a while before anyone comes asking to rent it out for a music video. They seem to fancy newer consumerist lifestyles.
That being said, this statement seems insensitive:
...you could rent it out to thugs for rap videos and make money on the side...
That's just me thinking out loud as I hope you don't have to get on a diet of Ramen noodles because of this purchase. Whether you did or not, it really wouldn't matter though as I have learned people value and get happines from different things. Car guys like cars, House guys like houses, Boat guys like boats etc... Being a boat guy who is pressured to buy a nicer truck+trailer to tow his nice boat and then move to a better house to match the nice truck is a sad existence. A slippery slope into the poor house.

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

Larz i wanted to be like my dad as well if this car gives you that felling you cant replace it anywhere.
Regarding rapper videos you didn't invent those shows you just commented on them and your opinion is as valid as any and if Bentley make them happy they should go for it as well.

picoman

Ed, Larz, my comment was made in jest. My apologies, I can see how it could be taken as being tacky but I did not intend for it to be malicious. Feel free to delete the comment if you desire.

Larz

Picoman, no need to apologize to me, sir. I often say that we as a culture have become too politically correct and way too sensitive. There are VERY good reasons why. I didn't delete your post. Instead, I deleted MY post where I implied you were 'stupid'. I apologize to you.

picoman

But I AM stupid :biggrin:

steve_c
Car: 06 M35x

picoman wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:16 am
But I AM stupid :biggrin:
Not really......The attached link to this music video was supposed to be filmed with a 2004 era Rolls Royce phantom Sedan I was told. They found one, but they could not schedule a time frame suitable with the film crew & limo company, (availability issue).
They had to substitute an alternate to get the filming underway. Too bad, this would have been outrageous with a Rolls or Bentley!
As disclaimer states at the end of the video, no elves were harmed during the making of this video.
So here you have it....their are folks out their of all persuasions looking to rent out exotics!

https://youtu.be/TfgtjWsp5N8

EdBwoy

Guys, it's not about political correctness. I am not here to censor anyone's opinions as a moderator. I am in the thread as a regular contributor and I too am one of the few people that would be trying to make money off any legal means including renting my vehicle to people who want to show off in a music video. We are in agreement here. The word choice is what I disagreed with and voiced my opinion of it.
I accept the apology offered by Picoman, thank you and I fully support free speech so I don't edit/delete people's opinions just because they counter my own. Nothing personal - I uphold my family and friends to the same standards.

Unfortunately the majority of people with the power to influence young minds (the entertainers themselves) don't seem to care about changing the perception of rap and the thug mentality. A lot of innocent people suffer the prejudice of being blanketly labelled.
If anyone here is in the fortunate position to not come up with a very particular mental image when you hear the words "thug" and "rapper", then I celebrate your innocence. Not everyone else gets to enjoy the same benefits.

Larz, pardon the diversion to the Bentley topic, but since some posts seemed to point at a perceived "freedom of opinion" aspect, I wanted to clarify that my one sentence was far from that in intention.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

Right now, the Bentley is a solid YAY for me. If you hope to make side money from it, it seems there is a niche market as per Steve's link, but even as a personal use vehicle it will be just fine.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

Thinking about all the mechanical stuff is good and all, but another thing to think about is the leisure side of the car. It is a 2005, so I doubt you have bluetooth streaming, or iphone integration and all that. Just something to think about when buying such a high end car that when you show it off, wont even have what most consider top be the absolute basics of tech. The only two things it has going for it in my opinion would be a lot of power (but such slow 0-60?) and a great leather interior. You can get that same thing in much nicer package and much faster car elsewhere. For instance a CTS-V will have just as nice an interior, the car would be newer and have bluetooth, and has 0-60 of 3.9s on the sedan models of the older gen which you would probably look at. On top of that, other cars would also get better gas mileage. So a really old Bently is a big NO from me.

Larz

Thanks EniGmA. Actually, it does have the oldest version of bluetooth (a factory phone in the armrest that somehow links to your number), parking sensors, radar cruise, NAV, Sport mode, traction control, ABS with emergency brake assist, 6 air bags, remote keyless entry, seat belt pre-tensioners, etc. It has NO cameras which I might miss.
The BHP is about 450 but it's the torques that sets it apart. To hurl a 6,500 pound car (twice the weight of a CTS) car to 60mph in 5.5 sec is impressive, but having 645 torques is what matters. When you're at 60mph already, mashing ther pedal causes the same reaction as if from a dead start and you leap to 100 in no time at all. Unfortunately, a 4 speed gearbox cannot do much to control fuel economy - even with OD, but that wasn't part of the design from the start. Also, unlike any Cadillac, you won't find a spec of plastic trim in a Bentley. Even the air vents and most switches are polished aluminum. No chrome covered plastic - in a Bentley, plastic anything simply won't due LOL.

Larz

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond and comment.
However, I did a much closer look today and was completely turned off. When I originally went to see this beast, I was on my way home from the office wearing a Canali suit and Magli shoes. Today I went back in jeans and actually slid under the car to have a proper squinz at it. In general, the appearance and cleanliness leads me to believe the mileage is accurate, BUT ... there was evidence of leakage in the front air cylinders which explains why it is sitting just a bit askew. There were also significant deep scratches on the some of the under body shields, the rear brake shoes look mighty thin, and there are scrapes and markings on some of the bolts, etc which makes me wonder about the claim that only Bentley techs have serviced this car. The final straw was a lone green exposed wire that was snaking through the underbody to the rear bumper??? Although the car is brilliant from the ground up, the underside tells me that it is NOT in pristine condition as claimed.
One of the most dangerous things about buying this kind of car this old is that some of them are facing a VERY expensive repair or maintenance bill and the owner decides to unload it rather than invest in it. The air levelers are thousands of dollars and cannot be replaced at home, and the scrapes and deep scratches tell me it has not been driven lightly - maybe even off roadways.
This experience has awakened the fears that I originally had when contemplating a Bentley. I will still keep looking, though not as determined as before. I am only interested in the Arnage which stopped production in 2009, and I fancy the headlamp configuration that stopped after 2004. Seems my choices are to spend almost double my original limit for a 2005 and up model, or buy the 2005 and older and be ready to spend heavily for one that needs work right away. Fetucini was very nice about this, biting her tongue instead of saying "I told you" .... at least until I told her that I can take it so say it, LOL.

picoman

Glad to hear it wasn’t an impulse buy/that you scanned it over thoroughly. What the heart wants and what the brain wants are two very different things in the world of a car guy

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

picoman wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:51 pm
Glad to hear it wasn’t an impulse buy/that you scanned it over thoroughly. What the heart wants and what the brain wants are two very different things in the world of a car guy
Ain't that the truth....I made sure that the PPI was all good before I bought my "new to me" Audi. The inspector told me that the car was one of the cleanest used cars he'd seen in a while, including underneath - he said it looked almost new, surprisingly so since it's a 2014. That pretty much sealed the deal for me!!!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”