Y33 suspension dillema!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
dm-ka
Car: z32tt-sold, '95 S14-sold, '97 S14-sold, another '95 S14-sold.
Current car: Q45

Hello fellow Nico enthusiasts! I'm in a desperate need of advice/help. Here is my situation: Not too long ago I bought a Y33 and planned on VIPing it, so to speak. Coming from the S14/drift crowd, my initial intent was to put her on coils. But as I drove it stock for a good amount of time while I was looking for a set of coilovers, I came to kind of like the stock ride quality.( Although it was a little too soft for my liking, but nevertheless..)
Just recently, less than 3 weeks ago to be exact, I got a set of JIC coils from a friend of mine who had them on his Y33 and without losing much time installed them the same weekend. Ever since than the roughness is just unbearable. While I do like the low stance heck of a lot better than the stock, you know, the offroad setup, I can't seem to get used to the roughness of it.

Well, here is my dilemma: I don't want to give up the lower ride but I also don't want to keep the coils. I've seen people putting Tein springs on their cars and for the most part everyone seem to like them.

Does anyone know where I can get a set of those? I've searched and searched but came up empty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Or maybe someone (like a hardcore enthusiast) would like to upgrade to JICs and let me have their Teins? Just asking.
Last edited by dm-ka on Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dm-ka

Anybody? Does anybody know where to find a set of Teins? or if it's even possible to find them?

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Here's the deal. The Y33 for which the Tein were made is a Cedric or Gloria with only a V6 as the largest engine available. They were never imported into the US and never had the V8.

You have a FGY33 for which Tein never made springs. The Y33 springs will fit, but have an insufficient spring rate in the front end. The Eibachs are far better as they are made for the FGY33, but are also out of production.

dm-ka

So the question still remains: Does anyone know where to get a set of Teins?

And yes, I am aware of the differences between Cima and Gloria.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

dm-ka wrote:So the question still remains: Does anyone know where to get a set of Teins?
Ask Audiovisionary33. He removed his because of the bottoming. There is even a thread on it. :werd:

dm-ka wrote: And yes, I am aware of the differences between Cima and Gloria.
Then why would you refer to a FGY33 Q45 as a Y33 when indeed it is not? The evidence does not support your assertion, but rather contradicts it. :slap:

Lokim
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45 acquired 4/25/10 w/192K
Now at 222K and going strong!

Down boy! Maybe he was just too lazy to type the FG part... :gotme

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

So contrary to what others have experienced, I put the Teins on about 6 years ago and they work perfectly. I have never bottomed out and combine with the KYB SR Specials the setup is ideal. The car has a great lowered stance and handles very well, but the real value is how the car rides, like a dream. WAY better then stock frankly. Even my 75+ year old dad was greatly impressed when he borrowed the car for a weekend, commenting that he LOVED the way it cornered and drove.

I got these from a guy named Kevin Falk who was banished from our board a few years go due to polictial incorrectness. PM me at [email protected] and i will share his e-mail address with you. If anybody can find those springs it is Kevin. I will also give you some hints on how to aquire the KYB SR Specials which are a huge improvement over stock struts and springs.

This is the way it fits, I have 06' 19" M45 rims which required a 29mm spacer to work

Here is the overall stance

Send me mail and I will try to help you out.

dm-ka

maxnix wrote:Then why would you refer to a FGY33 Q45 as a Y33 when indeed it is not? The evidence does not support your assertion, but rather contradicts it. :slap:
:rotfl :rotfl I almost laughed my lungs out. The evidence suggests that your perception of evidence is the absence thereof.

But on the serious note I really appreciate all the responses! Thanks guys.

I didn't just decide to slap some incompatible springs on my car, I came to that conclusion on the bases of the research I gathered. What i found is that out of 30 or 40 people who had experienced Teins on their Q's only 4 did not like them.
But strangely enough, I do not like how JIC's make my Y33 feel (yes I did say it again) that is why I'm going to go with the spring/shock combo.

P.S. And also, thanks to BadQ, appreciate the help bro.

audiovisiony33
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

I hope this can help many people better understand on which springs to go with.

You decide which springs will work for you. I want to share the difference between FGY33 Springs Vs. Y33 Springs.

This is the photo that I took when I was changing out from Eibach to Espelir ESN149.

Eibach on the left. Espelir on the right. They both are made for Q45 FGY33. (Not made for Gloria Cedric)
Compare the design of the top flat coil to your factory springs. They look very close to factory springs.

In my experience I had to pull the TEIN out in 2days. The weight of the Q was compressing on top three coils sitting on top of each other making metal to metal pop/binding noise when I steer the wheels.

Tein Y33 Gloria Cedric application. To me it looks nothing close to the factory springs.

I also had steer to one side and lift the dust cover on the ground to check the shock travel clearance and the Q was pretty much sitting on the bump rubber. If TEIN works for your Q45 that's great.

This is a photo of espelir on the ground with enough clearance between the coils.( No noise at all)

I don't know why TEIN didn't work for me and few other people who had issues. I had no issues with Eibach or the Espelir.

This is how it looks with Espelir ESN149 on Volk SS 18" x 9 & 10.

Cheers! :bigthumb:

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

dm-ka wrote:
maxnix wrote:Then why would you refer to a FGY33 Q45 as a Y33 when indeed it is not? The evidence does not support your assertion, but rather contradicts it. :slap:
:rotfl :rotfl I almost laughed my lungs out. The evidence suggests that your perception of evidence is the absence thereof.
Nope, you are the ignorant one. Nissan builds them and designates them as such. Learn your Nissan chassis codes. They are out there on the Japanese Nissan website and in factory publications. :werd:

Laziness and ignorance is not to be confused with knowledge. :nono:

I have been here 10 years. Check my post count, newbie. :slap:

black g50
Car: 1994 Q45 Black/Black--235/40/18's avh3100 xplode 12" and amp 160000miles.2001 rodeo 190000miles

:poke:

dm-ka

Audiovision thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. Helpful info, that gives me something to take into consideration.

As for the mister post veteran... well, hopefully you learn the basics of communication when you are 20.

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Well those Tein springs your showing look nothing like the ones I got from Kevin back in the day (I think I got them in 2004 from him). Color is not green like that either, they were blue. I am a big fan of Eibach's, that is what I run on 300ZX and they are there still strong after holding up my Z since 1993...but when I was looking it was the Teins or nothing else I could find and they worked great.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”