Y33 Suspension - 2019 edition

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Sapofeo
Car: 00 Infiniti Q45 AE
93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
03 Ford Excursion V10
14 FiST

Greetings all,
vehicle is a 2000 Q45 AE
I'm just a few weeks into my Q45 voyage and I've hit my first wall. There is a good bit of information on suspension but most of it as at least 2 years old. The OE parts are long discontinued and unavailable by now so I'm looking for options. I really do not want coilovers as I really love my cruiser. Has anyone tried replacing the struts with the non-touring ones that are still available? Do they fit? Do they cause a permanent CEL? Has anyone tried struts from another Infiniti/Nissan like a Maxima or QX4? Since this is a consumable, we're all going to face this issue going forward.

Thanks in advance

BadQ45t
Car: 21' Leaf SL Plus (wife's car)
05' X-Terra S 4x4
97' Q45t SOLD! Miss the old girl
84 300ZX (Original Owner)
2016 Mercedes Benz S550e V8 Power and 35 MPG

Yup, there are very few choices..and coilovers are going to be a rougher ride. I have BC's on my 97' and it handles like a slot car but expansion joints can be brutal!

What I would do is call up a dealership parts counter or go there. I recall that this had some electronic function in yours and there may still be replacements. Then you can call everythinginfiniti.com guys who are really Scottsdale infiniti and get the parts for 25% cheaper than your locals and no tax (shipping is very reasonable).

The other thing that I heard about the BC's is that can ask the factory for a more mellow setup. I didn't know this and if I had I would have take 25% of the stiffness out, my car ZERO body roll and you can completely toss the car around. It cost me $1700 installed for hte BC's which is probably cheaper than OEM parts will cost. There are no other options left out there unfortunately.

Sapofeo
93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
03 Ford Excursion V10
14 FiST

Fantastic. Thanks for the information. Hopefully I find a solution.

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

You can all the BC factory, they are back east somewhere and also call the guys at Scottsdale for assistance. If I had it to do all over again I would have bought 2 sets of the KYB SR Specials that I bought from a guy importing them. They were really the ideal setup but I blew one of them and there were no replacements.

MowgliCSM
Car: 99 Q45t, 07 S550, 89 Mitsu Mirage Turbo.

If you can find non touring struts you can use them. You just can't reinstall the damper adjusting actuator on the strut tops. Keep them plugged in but zip tie them out of the way. BC does offer custom linear spring rates and valving for their coilovers. So you can tell them what you want and they will do it (within reason).

Sapofeo
93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
03 Ford Excursion V10
14 FiST

I spoke with BC and it seems the best I can do is a 1" drop (which isn't bad). They currently sell them for $995 which is a few hundred cheaper than even the non-touring struts that I've found. I don't want to stiffen the ride at all but it may be the better option long term. I've really fallen for this damn car and would like to keep it for several years. I really appreciate the help, thanks.

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

The B/C's are high quality and if I'd known they could dial in the ride I would have done and made my ride a little softer, but not much softer. The stock ride for my touring was pretty mushy out of the factory, I replaced the stocks at 50k (rear was leaking) and got KYR SR Specials and Tein springs, that was a great setup, but the friggin' SR Specials blew out and couldn't find a replacement for it, thus the BC's for the last 25k.

F50SEE'MA
Car: 2002 Nissan CIMA

https://autoparts.beforward.jp

Try this site , it helped me source a couple items for my F50 CIMA. Good luck with your search

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

These are used parts and you'd need to look for Cima and import. Dude, BC's are you best bet.

MowgliCSM

Anyone looking at used Cima suspension parts should know that the caliper bracket bolts are different sizes on the V6 vs. V8 models. 12mm V6, 14mm V8. If you get V6 stuff, you will need to drill them out.

BadQ45t
05' X-Terra S 4x4

And touring and non-touring are different brake mounts as well, I ran into this issue buying Megans and found out they wouldn't fit the hard way with my car taken apart!

Sapofeo
93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
03 Ford Excursion V10
14 FiST

Well, I pulled the trigger on the BC's with spindle to avoid any headaches. Should arrive today. I hope I'm pleased with the end result. I'm loving this big ol boat of a car more every day.

00_Cima

I'm in the market for Q45 coils too. Please post your feedback/review once you get them installed. Did you upgrade to swift coils?

Sapofeo
93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
03 Ford Excursion V10
14 FiST

Everything is installed. My mechanic has to cut a piece off the end links to get it to fit right but all in all, I'm really happy with the result. I did not choose the swift coils. I'm looking for as close to stock as possible. The ride, as expected, is much firmer but not awful. Any disappointment quickly goes away on entrance and exit ramp curves. Even on the stock 225's, the big boat really can take a curve at speed. Ride height actually seems a bit higher than it was previously. Once these tires wear out I'll be hunting for a set of 19" OEM Q60 wheels which I think will fill out the wheel wells nicely. At that point, I'll probably drop the ride height a few inches (I've got coils now, why not right?). I kept the off the shelf spring rates instead of choosing a custom one.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Sapofeo wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:11 am
Even on the stock 225's, the big boat really can take a curve at speed.
Oh yeah, had mine set up with Eibach springs, Japanese market only shocks,18x9 OZ Racing Superallegras with Michelin 245/45 Super Sports passing 370Z on the outside on high speed sweepers. 370Z drivers were perplexed.

None of that is available anymore except perhaps the improved Michelins and newer Ultraleggeras HLT.

About to throw my NIB BBS 18x9 Forged RGR up on eBay. Never was able to install them on any of my Q45, RIP.

my12by60

My 2000 AE had new OEM struts put on all 4 corners in 2011 when the car had 78K miles. The car now has 132K and the front passenger strut is leaking lots of oil, enough that I thought a brake hose was leaking. One of the rears also has oil on it. A few questions for Sapofeo:

What was the cost for the BC set? I see a set on ebay for $1245 with spindles.

Why did you buy the set with spindles vs. the cheaper non-spindle set?

What was install cost?

I am considering doing it myself, but you said your mechanic had to cut something off. What was cut?

Did the brake lines mount properly on the BCs?

Thanks.

my12by60

Just called a local junkyard that has a 1999 Q with all four struts still available. The yard wants $450 for all four. Not sure I want to spend that much for what could be really old struts. I also saw an Infiniti dealer online that still has one front strut in inventory. Cost is $700 on ebay, such a deal.

MowgliCSM

If you get coilovers without spindles, you have to cut the old ones off the shocks and weld them to the new coilovers.

my12by60

That makes sense based on what I see when I study the front struts and spindles. I could not figure out how the strut would separate from the spindle. The answer is that it does not without some metal cutting.

Sapofeo
93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
03 Ford Excursion V10
14 FiST

My apologies for not getting back. Completely slipped my mind. Yes, buying with the spindles save a ton of labor and ends up being cheaper and stronger. My install was in the neighborhood of $800. I'm lucky enough to have an exceptional shop here in South Florida that specializes in Nissan. I've had the setup for several months and it's still been solid. I put a set of 19" Enkei's on it and will soon be adding hubcentric spacers, then dropping it an inch (maybe 2).

Ludeaem
Car: 2000 Infiniti Q45 AE

Sapofeo wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:53 am
My apologies for not getting back. Completely slipped my mind. Yes, buying with the spindles save a ton of labor and ends up being cheaper and stronger. My install was in the neighborhood of $800. I'm lucky enough to have an exceptional shop here in South Florida that specializes in Nissan. I've had the setup for several months and it's still been solid. I put a set of 19" Enkei's on it and will soon be adding hubcentric spacers, then dropping it an inch (maybe 2).
Did you get the BC springs or upgrade to Swifts? Did you get the same spring rates? Looking for feedback on the ride (yes, i realize it'll be stiffer) as I'll be ordering in the near future.

Ludeaem

Ended up ordering BC's with spindle and Swift springs. Will report back once installed with feedback. Should be about a month since its a special order.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

You will be glad you got the Swift springs as they are far superior to even other reputable spring manufacturers.

Sapofeo
93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
03 Ford Excursion V10
14 FiST

Ludeaem wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:27 pm
Sapofeo wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:53 am
Did you get the BC springs or upgrade to Swifts? Did you get the same spring rates? Looking for feedback on the ride (yes, i realize it'll be stiffer) as I'll be ordering in the near future.
I got the BC springs that came with the kit. Ride is not as harsh as expected (2 ticks from the softest setting). Just dropped the car 2 inches on 19's and it looks and rides great.

Ludeaem

post some pictures!

Ludeaem

Alright, I have some feedback as I got the coilovers installed. Keep in mind I have the Swift springs upgrade (stock spring rates of 8k front and 7k rear). I have all the corners at full soft at the moment.

I would say they are around 30-40% stiffer than stock. Sort of wish they were a little softer but I did come from worn OEM gear. I did the test drive today on OEM 17s but will be updating to G37s 19s soon so I am sure I'll get some more impact harshness from that as well. This isn't my daily so this isn't a deal breaker but if you ware wanting a 'stock like' ride then perhaps go with a 6k/5k setup?

I will post pictures in a few weeks once I get the wheels and ride height dialed in

Ludeaem

Another update as I'm a month in with having the BC/Swift setup. Not sure if its me or if the springs have settled but the ride seems a tad plusher. Perhaps both? Either way I do think its firm on anything past 25% of the compression stroke. YMMV but that is my input so if anyone else has it let us know. The ride seems better with the 19s compared to the stock 17s with a 50 series sidewall as well.

98_Q45

Just some input:

I ordered my front shocks from a Infiniti dealer online (even though it was shipping from out of state, it saved about $90 versus buying local Infiniti).

2 things I’m sad about: I didn’t get the Springs, just the shocks. But I have Gabriel’s in the rear and Infiniti in the front.

However, my alignment has been gawd awfully f*** since the replacement (and even before it was f***, but at least I’m not catapulting into the sky anymore with worn shocks) (even after spending $300 for install/alignment). I’ve gone to 3 different shops. The one who installed all 4 struts told me they’d need to do a full scale suspension inspection, and that I’d need be prepared to spend more $$$.

Another yesterday said I needed A WHOLE REAR SUSPENSION, considering my drivers side rear tire is in a visible negative camber. He couldn’t even quote me, but referred me elsewhere. I didn’t go because I’m traveling.

My other mechanic who did all my rack/control arm repairs two years ago, said he’d put everything in spec for $300, which I don’t have. So I asked for a 2 wheel front alignment instead.

The wheel is still off! So now I’m thinking about pulling the steering wheel off, and realigning the clock spring, because I know that can play a part in the alignment...and I know I moved it a bit when I was removing the dashboard due to the heater core, which never got fixed.

If it goes well, all I need to do is pull the wheel off while it’s in the 20 degrees or so direction it is when going straight, and then pop it back straight so when it’s tracking straight.

Ludeaem

98_Q45

I don’t particularly see this car in White often or ever, but that looks very well done! Lol.

With the news of needing rear suspension repair, and heater core gone...the idea of nice pearl repaint job and new rims seems to be a far off priority.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”