Y33 Navigation

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
KBADPAT

I would like to hear some opinions on the Navigation System in Y33's. Just some basic info and opinions would be great from those of you who have it.

Andrei

Vmo
Car: '99 Q45

I was kind of wondering the same thing since I don't have it - I'm curious how much one would be

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

The biggest drawback to the Y33 nav system is that it's CD based, not DVD based like the current ones in G35s.

KBADPAT

I see, that means in order to cover the entier country you would need about 7 discs or so. Every CD is for it's own region, correct me if I am wrong. Vmo, I really don't think there is a poing for you to get an OEM Navigation System since it's gonna run at least $3000 or even more. Go with something aftermarket, Panasonic was an LCD headunit with Navi build in.

Andrei

97Q45t
Car: Viper RT/10, Ford Explorer 4WD

Although I have no experience with Y33's CD-based navigation system, I had used many CD-based computer navigation softwares. While CD-based softwares are decent to use, DVD-based systems will blow it away in term of map detail and Point-of-interests (POI). Finding updated database CDs for the old system would be hard, if not impossible. If you're thinking of adding an old-tech stock navigation unit, I think the new double-din multimedia navigation unit AVIC-D1 from Pioneer would be a much better choice. It looks nice and pretty affordable (about $1500 including installation the most).

http://pioneerusa.com/pna/prod....html

Modified by 97Q45t at 9:36 PM 7/9/2005

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

MattB wrote:The biggest drawback to the Y33 nav system is that it's CD based, not DVD based like the current ones in G35s.
And it was only updated once. Hopelessly out of date now.

KBADPAT

So far I've seen a few 2000 & 2001 with Navigation. I've talked to one seller of 2000 AE with Navi, and he told me that it was one of the best Navigation Sistems that he've ever used.

Andrei

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

KBADPAT wrote:I've talked to one seller of 2000 AE with Navi, and he told me that it was one of the best Navigation Sistems that he've ever used.
He's never used the new Infiniti, Acura, nor Lexus ones then.

KBADPAT

maxnix wrote:He's never used the new Infiniti, Acura, nor Lexus ones then.
I am sure that DVD based Navigation is much better then the CD based once. Although the Y33 with Navi is rear enough, so if that's all that available I would be happy to get one. But I need to go down to an Infiniti dealership and mess around with a couple of DVD based Navigation Systems to see how much different they are.

Andrei
maxnix wrote:He's never used the new Infiniti, Acura, nor Lexus ones then.

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

I LOVED the CD based NAV in the QX4's back in 2001! It had the bird's eye view, and voice commands. It was a sexy female voice, that I wanted to follow anywhere she said to go.

I wish they would update the data, so owners of older Infiniti's could feel like they weren't forgotten.

I like the Pioneer, but the Kenwood DDX-7015 looked better to me. It is no longer available through Crutchfield, os they might have discontinued it.

There are several Asian DVD NAV systems out there for$800 or less, but I do not know what the maps or options are like.

metaverse3

The pioneer does all of that..and more.. I personally own a Nav Sys 910 combo (avic 80 dvd and AVH-P6500 flip screen) on my J30t

I'm sorry to say that pioneer's quality control has reached an all time low. The unit is not as solid as the old pioneer's used to be. Typical problems such as dvd/cd laser failure, GPS component failure, joystick knobs failure are currently plaguing the avic line. Even something as simple as the clock display fades for units less than a year old.. To top it off, they release a software upgrade that implements a gyroscope vehicle sensor lock that turns off all video to the display screen as soon as the vehicle is in motion. Their update dvd does not advise of this. The older systems like mine have a brake interlock wire that needs to be activated for video to be displayed. This dvd update ignores that function and implements the lock regardless rendering my brake interlock useless. As a result of this, I will not upgrade and my last map disc is from 2004.

Look at the eclipse line..the AVN series..especially the 5434.. Or the Kenwood KNA line... These seem to be a choice.. Personally, I'm leaning towards the eclipse AVN series. I have seen them in person and in action. Very impressive. Pioneer had to create the D1 since eclipse was the only double din navi unit out in the US...

Take a look at this group: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pioneermobile2/ to get an idea of pioneer's..

MattB
Car: 2001 Infiniti I30A

KBADPAT wrote:So far I've seen a few 2000 & 2001 with Navigation. I've talked to one seller of 2000 AE with Navi, and he told me that it was one of the best Navigation Sistems that he've ever used.

Andrei
The system is good, but once you try the navi on a same year Acura RL you won't want the Y33 nav. Acura's touchscreen system is one of the best out there.

KBADPAT

Does the Navigation on Y33 have the bird's eye view and voice commands?

Andrei

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”