Y33 AC Compressor Options

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
fontana dan
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45

What are the options for AC compressors on these cars? Anyone have a good factory unit sitting around?
I bought a new aftermarket compressor last year, but I've been disappointed with the quality. Recently it started sounding pretty bad. We are about to find out if "BuyAutoParts" will honor their warranty.
At this point I'm regretting how I threw the OG compressor in the garbage.

https://www.amazon.com/Infiniti-1997-19 ... B00WOXPOJI

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

hmmmm, I was about to suggest having your original compressor rebuilt, but it doesn't sound like that is an option for you. Maybe find an untouched calsonic piece off a wrecking yard donor and have it rebuilt?

Ludeaem
Car: 2000 Infiniti Q45 AE

So i replaced mine as it makes the rattle sound you have (albeit not as bad i don't think?) and the new one makes the same damn sound . Air is cold and i thought it might have been under or overfilled so i took it back and nothing changed. I just lived with it. I did keep my OEM compressor though

fontana dan

Could have rebuilt my factory unit if I had known better. Probably all it needed was a clutch bearing and a lip seal.
Installed another new compressor(free replacement: warranty). It is a "Pinnacle" unit. It's quiet, working good for now. I'm getting ~45F at the vents after charging 24oz of R134a.
I'll start looking for a Calsonic piece in case this one goes bad. But it sure is a PAINFUL job to replace this compressor. NO THANKS!!!!
:bang

chrisbr66
Car: 1997 Infiniti Q45t

Any tip or tricks for removing the compressoer? Going to have to do this in the near future

fontana dan

Remove the 2 nuts holding the AC lines onto the compressor. You can access them from above in the engine bay with a long extension.
Next remove the 4 bolts holding the compressor to the bracket.
Push the compressor upward and aside to remove the 5 bolts holding the bracket to the block. Take the bracket straight down and then remove the compressor.
Reinstall is very fun...should have a helper for this. Put the compressor up into the engine bay and push it aside. Insert the bracket vertically, straight up onto the block. Insert and tighten all 5 bolts. Then put the compressor onto the bracket and reinstall the 4 bolts. Reattach ac lines.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 3.47.47 PM.png

98_Q45

I been using an aftermarket rock auto compressor for like 4 years now. It’s over 75,000 miles on it. I was shocked because I have had after market compressors only last 2 years on other vehicles, before seizing up or something. But that was usually when I let others do the a/c work. This time, I picked the compressor and added the oil before sending it in for install. Also replaced related parts. Can’t tell how much oil is actually in there, but I’ve put in 1 ounce cans of oil at least once a year without issues. But I also had a leak from the high pressure hose that I finally figured out why I was losing charge.

However I think it’s important to ensure the right amount of oil gets added. And keep the area around the pulley clean. Also, if dirty water gets into the pulley area, it can end up becoming noisy. I have a Maxima that has had a loud compressor bearing noise for like 5 years. Started when I went thru some street flooding. However it still blows cold and doesn’t need much of any topping of refrigerant. Occasionally I spray lubricant between the clutch just for peace of mind.

I also have no tensioner bolt on my a/c, which might contributed to its longevity. Idk what the previous owners did, but the pulley was gone when I brought it. Found a used pulley, but you can’t get the adjustment bolt on/off unless you remove the bracket entirely. However, it works fine just pushing on the pulley. The belt is looser than spec, but I think the compressor pulley doesn’t mind.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”