Y-Pipe/Exhaust, other work...

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
theTony
Car: umm.....Cars??

audtatious wrote:Yeah, I will be ordering my Y-Pipe and free-flow cat in a couple of weeks and it will be on before the meet. I will have a muffler shop fashion me a new B-pipe too.

I'm interested in hearing what that sounds like. A y-pipe (along with many other things) is my future as well. :cool:

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yeah, me too. I still plan on keeping the resonator, so it still should be pretty quiet. I was holding off on these mods until I get my warranty work and recalls taken care of. The car was dropped off this morning for those, so I will probably order the exhaust stuff this weekend...

FWIW, I would not suggest anyone use Bales in Jeffersonville,IN for warranty work. The sales staff is OK, the service people are jerks and I have had nothing but issues with them for the last couple of years. They would not fix/look at my "pulsating" brakes saying they would NOT be covered under warranty, regardless of what other Nissan dealerships were doing. For those with 5th Gen Maximas, you know what I'm talking about here. I will definately take it back to another Nissan service center to get this fixed under warranty....

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

audtatious wrote:FWIW, I would not suggest anyone use Bales in Jeffersonville,IN for warranty work. The sales staff is OK, the service people are jerks and I have had nothing but issues with them for the last couple of years. They would not fix/look at my "pulsating" brakes saying they would NOT be covered under warranty, regardless of what other Nissan dealerships were doing. For those with 5th Gen Maximas, you know what I'm talking about here. I will definately take it back to another Nissan service center to get this fixed under warranty....

I never would have expected brakes to be covered under warranty anyway. At least things like the rotors, which it may be. Some Q45 guys got away with getting free rotors once but that was from an Infiniti dealership...which is a little different. What WAS wrong with the brakes? Sounds like it's a common problem the way you mentioned it.To your complaint about the dealership, it's disturbing how dealers in our area both Nissan and Infiniti seem to treat

people around here despite the obvious large Nissan base they have. I've seen in mags how high Infiniti ranks among other dealerships yet I loathe to actually see this same treatment.

i know this is off topic so moderators can split this if they want.

theTony

Mayhem_J30 wrote:i know this is off topic so moderators can split this if they want.
yeah

SCOTTDW

I am new to the Infiniti world on exhaust upgrades. I had Magnaflow cat back on my 98V8 SHO. What would anyone reccommend on my 99 I30 T? I could use better performance and I do not like the appearance of the stock I30 tailpipe.

Thanks,

Scott99I30TArctic White

Mayhem_J30
Car: Ummm...My Car

Scott, if it fits on the 99 max it'll fit on your I30. I believe if you do any thing on the exhaust it should be the b-pipe upgrade. I believe they were getting the biggest increase from this alone compared to muffler upgrade

I30

Tony, you need to get a new muffler so I can buy ur stock one ;)

SCOTTDW

Chris, thanks for the info on the b-pipe upgade..I searched on this site and I still do not know what that is. Does it affect the warranty?

Scott99I30TArctic White

I30

A b pipe is the pipe that connects the Cat converter and the muffler. There are aftermarket ones that will be straighter and more free flowing then stock ones that free up extra HP.Im not sure if it voids the warrenty, it prolly depends on what is wrong with the car. Not to take anything away from this site, but since the I30 and maxima are the same car you might want look around http://www.maxima.org which has an immense amount of data on the I30/maxima.

BTW- Scott, u live in Memphis, TN? I will be going to college in Memphis next year, so hopefully we can meet up sometime.

theTony

Here is a picture I found a while back that shows you what the parts are. I think I found this on custommaxima.com, but I'm not sure.

SCOTTDW

Looks like the B pipe is a second stage cat....Am I right on this?

Scott99I30T Arctic White

I30

Quote »A b pipe is the pipe that connects the Cat converter and the muffler[/quote]

SCOTTDW

Thanks for the input men. Very informative....I really enjoy this I30T. Yes, I30, I live in Memphis and feel free to hook-up when you get here. Thanks again.

Scott99I30T Arctic White

gunnar10

Scott,

I just bought an I30t also. I paid 15,000 for one. White with Black leather Interior.

I am in the same boat as you!

I want more HP. But I dont want the throaty sound from the high flow muffler.

I think I will invest in air flow intake and Exhaust system. I want to keep a quiet muffler though.

I have heard that a racing chip will give HP gains by altering the timing. But I have not found one for the I30/Maxima.

Let me know your results and thoughts.

Brian

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Man, I've been missing this thread for a while ;)

Mayhem, the brakes/rotors have been fixed under warranty on numerous occasions for other Max owners. I know one guy with an '02 that have had his rotors turned twice, his pads changed twice and his rotors replaced. He's still having problems. IMO, a b-b warranty is just that. Everything should be repaired unless it is due to carelessness. Rotors warping on a large # of cars with less than 36k miles reflects a poor design on Nissans part, not the owners...

Nissan really needs to work on their service centers. My co-worker in Cinci has a '00 I30t and I have been with him to get his car serviced. On one occasion, he had a huge bulge on one of his Potenza's after hitting a huge pothole. Definately not a warranty issue, but the infiniti dealership sold/installed a new one for $75! They ate 1/2 the price of the tire to make the customer happy ($150 ea their price) and washed his car before he picked it up. Having donuts, cookies, bottled water, cokes and coffee out for their customers is great service!

SCOTTDW, from an NA standpoint, options are Y-pipe, B-pipe, free-flow cat, and cat-back ( muffler on the '00+ are not very restrictive anyway ) are avail for exhaust. Numerous intakes are available and a few options are avail for UDP's or simply lightened pullys. There are a few ECU chip upgrades out there too. Does a MEVI work on a '00-01? I dunno, but don't think so. Of course Stillen has an SC and there is a guy in Louisville selling and installing turbo systems on Maximas for slightly more $$ than the Stillen SC. Don't forget nawz and water injection for forced induction applications. If you are an auto, you can get the VB upgrade for firmer shifts. Not sure if Quafi (sp?) is avail for that year ( manual )....Suspension upgrades include big-brake kits, struts/shocks, springs, RSB, FSB, RSTB, FSTB, subframe connectors and of course wheels/tires.

Did I miss anythng?

SCOTTDW

Brian, I had Magnaflow mufflers on my V8SHO and they enhanced the rumble but true performance gains were slight.I will stick with stock mufflers right now on the 6 cylinder I30. Not sure I would like the sound of the V6 with performance muff. Love the car and the smooth performance.

Matt, Good info! Thanks for the input.

Scott99I30T .

I30tMikeD

You want 15+ more Hp to the wheels. Get a Y-pipe, can be had for as little as 165 shipped. The rest of the exhaust upgrades are more for looks and sound then anything else.

Besides the Y-pipe the other restrictive part is right after the cat, the pipe is crushed down to about 1-1/2 iches there. I have no idea why Nissan did this, but replacing the B-pipe will fix this. Don expect more than 4-5 hp froma cat-back.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”