Xterra LSD install into 02 pathy

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
jaymzinsa
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder

Hello, new to the forum. I have just acquired an 02 with a manual tranny. Its gonna be an almost total rebuild and have some questions about my plans that i will post as individual topics. First off, as i dont want to install lockers i want to swap out my current rear end for a decent lsd. I have seen a few posts on other boards about installing a first gen xterra lsd onto a pathfinder but am not clear on a couple things. Does the entire rear axle need to be replaced or can i just swap the third member? Is there any way to make the lsd stronger? Is it at all possible to swap an lsd from an older gen path, ie ‘95, that had a high torque rating onto an ‘02? Am grateful for any info the forum can provide. Thanks.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

jaymzinsa wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:14 am
Does the entire rear axle need to be replaced or can i just swap the third member? Is there any way to make the lsd stronger? Is it at all possible to swap an lsd from an older gen path, ie ‘95, that had a high torque rating onto an ‘02?
Taking a quick look at the Nissan Parts Deal website to view the blow up drawings of those rear axle assemblies and final drive (third member) assemblies, I can see that the Xterra axle assemblies are a completely different animal. Control arms and suspension mounts do not look remotely compatible to the Pathfinders. However, the final drive assemblies of the the Xterra and R50 Pathfinders look almost identical so it appears it may be possible to swap a final drive lsd from an Xterra or older R50 Pathfinder. On the Pathfinders, the same H233B lsd is used but there are some differences. The Xterra appears to have the same lsd with difference as well but I couldn't confirm whether of not it has the same H233B lsd. If you have 4WD on your '02, gear ratio of the rear end will have to be a proper match to the front end differential or else that will require a change as well. That being said, there is a great deal of research and homework you need to do in order to be assured every piece will marry up with your current axle assembly. None of this is going to be a straight forward plug and play swap but it does appear to be possible.

Hawairish
Car: 2004 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4WD

It's very plug and play. You can direct swap the third member from another 00-04 Xterra, 00-04 Frontier*, or 96-04 Pathfinder (literally a direct swap if the donor matches your 4.363 ratio...otherwise you'll need to swap the LSD carrier into your third member and set backlash on the gears). Other Nissan thirds will bolt onto the axle housing, but they will be 31-spline carriers (*99-early00 Frontiers were 31-spline), which will ultimately not work because R50s are 33-spline.

They can also be repacked: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/ ... ntial-lsd/

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”