XTD Stage 3 Clutch/Flywheel.....Anyone Have any feedback on it?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
The All Mighty KA-T
Car: 1995 Eclipse GS-T

well my stock clutch might be taking a crap on me ( Dont know if it's the problem yet ) so i'm moving on to bigger and better things ( doing it right this time ).........so anyways......i was looking into a cluch and flywheel combo and i saw the ( XTD-STAGE-3-CLUTCH-FLYWHEEL ) on E-Gay.com (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem ) and it looks like a ok deal for $300.00.......i was wanting a Cluch that would hold up to about 300HP and they say it can.......so i'm just wanting to know if any of your are using the XTD Stage 3????? i have read a few threads about the stage 1 and 2 XTD clutch.....and it seems to do ok...........

Or should i spend $150.00 more and the F1 RACING STAGE 3 Clutch & FIDANZA Flywheel Combo ???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem
Modified by The All Mighty KA-T at 8:25 PM 4/25/2006

scarboroughdub

i personally would not trust an ebay clutch.

i heard their failure rate is above norm, so risking pulling a tranny for a seperated surface or bad pp is not worth saving 100 bucks.

get a quality brand name clutch that you can depend on.

SHIFTrl240
Car: 1990 SR20 Sil-80
2009 Yamaha RoadStar Warrior
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti AWD

i have the xtd in mine, and have had it for a couple weeks now

it has held up strong, although i havent really pushed it yet since my car still has a fuel problem

many people local to me have had sucess with xtd, and the price cant be beat so i got it

im happy with it so far.

S13 240SX
Car: 93 Mazda Miata

UGH I'M SICK OF XTD CLUTCH THREADS.. xtd sucks sucks sucks sucks and MORE SUCKS!

I got an xtd stage 2.. sucks sucks sucks and more sucks!

XTD-- pshh call it an STD

rb240det
Car: 1991 240sx Hatchback and 1994 300zx

Actually they are quite stout. I have on in my S13 hatch pushing 250whp and have no problems with it at all.

nb07bcar

Haven't had any problem with mine. Have about 5,000 mile of daily street driving, and about 500 very hard hill climes and road courses. Pushing around 250 rwhp.

tvmendoza
Car: 240sx 95

I have the stage 3 and i am around 240whp and i have not have any problem. I have around 3000 miles right now and no problem. I think no one have bought the flywheel it will be good some reviews.

S13 240SX
Car: 93 Mazda Miata

well 1.. me and all my other buddies with xtd clutchies.. we all don't like them becasue of the way they feel. it feels all crappy and stuff.. and 2... i hear they start problems and blow out at 7,000 mileage.

scarboroughdub

5000 is nothing for a clutch.

you put some more excessive wear on it and thats when **** starts to hit the fan. also 250hp is nothing.

like i said you wanna play right than ebay should not be part of your shopping list when your building something properly.

nb07bcar

he's not looking to push any more than 300hp. I don't need an overpriced clutch because I'm not running serious power. Just putting my experiance in. When mine fails I'll probably be singing a different song. Oh and the 500 of racing miles is just like 10,000 miles of street driving. (There is no calculation im just saying when I race it through the hills it very hard on the clutch).

IanS13

what every you do don't buy any f1 racing junk clutch.

Edub1
Car: 89 240sx KA-T

You know guys, some of us are considering buying one of these. It would be helpfull to hear from people who have actually owned them and can give us some good insight.

Posting threads about what you "heard" or what, in your opinion, you would or wouldn't trust, only clutters up the thread. If you personally, or your brother or other person you know well, hasn't owned one it's better not to comment. Just because some guys you know think they suck in general, doesn't mean anything.

Also, you can get good deals from ebay on a lot of stuff. A lot of the stuff is only cheap because the seller has little overhead.

It is true that super cheap stuff can be risky, but it is also true that lesser known companies will sell their stuff cheap to try to build a reputation.

But by all means, stop telling us what you "hear" when someone asks for first hand experience.

Riubens
Car: ka-t 240 and 99 Q45 t

ok you whant to hear about people thats had them ,,,well ive had mine for about 2k miles and grabs good but the cluthc feeling is too soft ive already took the damper box out but still feels the same,btw ive maxed prety muche every thing about my ka in stock ka from I have basic bolt ons plus flyweel 248/232 cams sticky tires and it grabs good till now but honestly I will probably go different route once ka-t project is finished..

Edub1
Car: 89 240sx KA-T

Why is the "feel" important if it holds good?

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

Edub1 wrote:Why is the "feel" important if it holds good?
x2

tvmendoza
Car: 240sx 95

i feel my pedal the exact same as when it was stock. I have the XTD stage 3

chmercer

i have that clutch too. pedal effort is not much different from stock. it grabs good. i would buy another one!

smokey8611

i have the stage 2 and i love it. its pointless buying a ACT if im not going to have XXX horespower. Plus im willing to test cheap stuff out.

struckinc
Car: 93 hatch.stock.well mostly anyway-SOLD
97 kouki-stock
12 sentra sr-wifes new car
97 maxima-wifes car-SOLD
02 maxima se- daily
1936 austin 10/4 lichfield

is there somewhere i can get the stage 3 without buying the flywheel? i looked at aimcoclutch but they only have the combo. with my motor build i will be in the 260hp range and close in torque and that is right at the limit of the stage 2

BuLLeTdrift
Car: 91 240sx fast baq

struckinc wrote:is there somewhere i can get the stage 3 without buying the flywheel?
just get it on ebay.

I've had mine for 400 miles exactly. break in period still. So far so good, although I have yet to push the car at all. i got anxious tonight when i hit 400 and just did a power over, but thats all. Before buying anything i do what you are doing now, i research the 5hit out of what ever it is i'm thinking about buying. So far i've read on other forums that people with RB's, SR's and KA's (of course) have had them for over a year of driving. and lets be honest, if you drive a RB or SR, you dont drive soft. That was the enuff proof i needed to test it out for myself. it seems like only those how have "heard" things, are the only ones to say they suck. Maybe those who have experienced it and it took a dump on them, didnt install correctly, or didn't break enuff before mashing it.

I put the stage 3 XTD with stock resurfaced flywheel on my 91 s-13. I dont plan on getting much power out of it so i know i'll be fine. I just switched to welded diff and I'm planning on taking this car to the track often so hopefully i'll be fine for a long time.

The real EXEDY pressure plate is nice, but the only negative i have is the clutch peddle does feel basically stock. other than that...XTD...FTW.

BuLLeTdrift

just found this too:
Carl H wrote:i ran a xtd stage 3 (6puck) on my rb20 and it held 387whp no problem, and for the price i paid i couldnt complain.logged in atleast 20kmi on the damn thing and it never failed me.
edit: for those who have already been using these clutches and had no problems...how long did you drive them ez before you started beating on them?

Tulsa_S-13
Car: 1991 SR 240sx

Wooooooooooooooo, I hate telling people I have cheap *** ebay parts in my car, especially something important as a clutch. I actually checked out some reviews of the clutches by XTD and alot of DSM people were happy with them so I decided to give them a chance.

I ended up buying the XTD stage 2 clutch. Keep in mind that the clutch "feel" will feel stock because of XTDs use of the Exedy OEM pressure plate. I broke in the clutch for 500 miles before I started beating on it. The clutch grabs very nicely and I've been using it for alittle over 5k miles. My next clutch however won't be by XTD because I will then need something to meet my future KA-T needs.

BuLLeTdrift

broke 500 tonight....but started drifting at 450. "ahh close enough". first time drifting with the new clutch and new welded diff. man i had so much fun.

yea telling peaple i got a XTD clutch is hard...."what you gotta 6 puck EXEDY clutch"?..."nah man EX-TEE-DEE".But a couple track dayz outta shut the mouths and open the eyes.

emperor_lunchbox
Car: 91 240sx, 96 eclipse spyder, and 96 camaro z28 (For Sale)

I have one in my car, its only about a week old and its slipping, BADLY. I dont know if it was improper installation or what, but I think I will go Exedy OEM. It looks like the rate of success is about 50%. I think it grabs good, but only half the time.

I am getting it looked at this week, if it turns out to be something other than the actual clutch itself. I like the bite and the way it feels, but I dont like the slipping.

BuLLeTdrift

you probably have to adjust the clutch pedal. I had to. It felt like it was slipping but it was actually the peddle that just needed to be adjusted lower. fixed mine and it works so0o good now. I hope you find out what it is.
Modified by BuLLeTdrift at 2:12 AM 5/14/2006

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

old thread but i'll post it.i broke my xtd in for a good 500+ miles before i started to flog it, with a race style clutch you MUST break it in properly else it wont seat properly and will slip.also did you guys clean the flywheel and pressure plate before you put them on, if not then they will get fouled out.after about 20k mi on the clutch it was fine when i tore the motor down, proly had a good bit left in it but i dont know.car made about 300 or so on daily driving so it saw lots of abuse and definately worked well for me, so im not sure why you guys are having so much trouble.

emperor_lunchbox
Car: 91 240sx, 96 eclipse spyder, and 96 camaro z28 (For Sale)

two questions:1. how to you adjust the clutch pedal2. is it possible to re-seat the clutch if the break-in was not proper.

BuLLeTdrift

2. Yes. by re-seat, i think you meant, re-set. if so, yes you can re-adjust the pedal.

Mine had a lotta play and was preloading the cylinder so it was like i was pressing down the clutch and riding it all day long. So i had to shorten my clutch pedal. play with that, i'm sure thats what happened. Good luck bro. I hope i hellped.

Edit: pic is a lot smaller than i thougth. All i said in there was "adjust here and get rid of all play (if any) and lower the clutch pedal".
Modified by BuLLeTdrift at 2:11 AM 5/14/2006

Xarquinn

I know this is a few years old but I just came across it while researching clutch kits. Great post man thanks! You saved me a ton of work and $. I was about to install a new clutch but after adjusting it stopped slipping.

offroadbob
Car: 96 240sx, 84 720 4x4

just for the hell of it here are some pics of what a xtd stage 3 did after only 3,000 mi notice the hotspots on the flywheel + a huge groove ^

this is all the dust from the dam clutch burning up everything even the pressure plate was all jacked up

on the floor is the pressure plate you can see the hotspots and the wear line in it.

This is all from a stock KA w/ proper break in. My napa clutch is working 50 times better than that xtd did from the get go. and it only has 100 mi on it

JMO

peace

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”