XS Engineering Turbo Kit

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
IWANNA240
Car: CARS!

I was reading the an issue of turbo magazine i got a while back and in it there was this huge section about "mail order boost", basicallly they listed a bunch of mail order turbo kits for all sorts of cars with chassis dyno graphs to go with each (!). anyway the only kit listed for the 1995+ 240sx was this XS engineering kit which looks like a pretty nice package if you want to turbocharge a KA24de. The dyno graph showed 226 horsepower at the wheels:ylsuper , not bad for a bolt on turbo kit running 6.5 psi. that puts the flywheel horsepower (even though its irrelevent) at about 255+. This would provide plenty of motivation for the lightweight 240, (btw does anyone know how much an s14 240 weighs??), anyway getting to the point:rolleyes the whole thing costs right at $4000, you get a warranty, instruction manual (yay), and it retains the A/C. I was just wondering if anyone out there has this kit, if so how well does it all work, did it go in at least semi easily?, and would you recommend it? I"m seriously looking at buying this thing (when i get my 240 that is :( , so your input is extremely appreciated, thanks

-Conrad

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

Go with the N-sport kit, I really liked it and it makes more HP http://www.nsport.com

Greddy is also coming out with a kit SOMEDAY for the S14

PaulOrlando, FL

DaveEEE

Holy crap Paul... That's THE most credit I've ever seen you give the Nsport kit. Way to go. :P Saw the pics of your CA, looks tight... That FMIC is killer, But I don't know if I like your cutouts in the bumper. Should just take that whole center section out.

But yes, I agree, get the Nsport kit. I'm still running everything with the Nsport kit plus a few misc items (tial ws, hks ssq, and a manual boost controller) at 9psi and its running GREAT.

-David93 KA24det

Movingviolation240

from all the "store bought kits" the Nsport is my favorite. what kind of numbers are you getting at 9psi? That sounds like a bit much boost, but if your not detonating more power to you.

later,

Paul

DaveEEE

I jumped from 5psi to 9psi Paul, EGT, fuel pressure, and A/F all remain great... It's still running as rich as it was before, I was quite surprised. I need to get it on a dyno though before I go any higher.

So, I don't have any numbers... But, even with my stock slipping clutch, I haven't lost a race yet. Maybe there just aren't many fast car's in Jax?

I'm not racing right now though, street or track. My clutch isn't pretty... I hope to get something new VERY soon.

-Dave93 KA24DET

P.S. IWANNA240, if you want to see pics of the nsport kit go here: http://www.eleven53.com/limitbreak/dave.html

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

The XS and Nsport kits are similar in overall design. I have an XS kit. I've seen the NSport kit up close. Both are built with good quality. There are differences though. Nsport made some recent changes. The significant one though is the fact that Nsport's wastegate is closed-loop. The XS is divorced and proves to be very loud under boost. I've modified mine so it's fine, but up until then, boosting was quite embarrassing. I don't know if XS still uses the HKS bypass, but it top's the NSport BOV in quality. Though both will need to be upgraded as you increase boost. The NSport has the intercooler and piping advantage over the XS too. It uses a more direct path, so there is less piping overall, and the intercooler itself is much larger. The NSport kit also places the filter in a cold air location. All this with a lower price if I remember correctly.

IWANNA240
Car: CARS!

Thanks all of you for your input, it really has been a lot of help. I am seriously considering the NSport kit now however my only concern is all of info i get for it seems to be that its for the S13. Am I reading this wrong or something, i went to their site and it said that they had a kit for the 240 sx but it didn't say for what year and they said that their own project car is an s13 (i don't recall the year). I apologize if my initial quesiton wasn't clear (which looking back it may not have been) but I was refering to turbo kits for the S14 only. can someone please clarify for me? Thanks again

-Conrad

Movingviolation240

Nsport makes an S14 kit, not sure where it's listed but I know they do it.

David, have you pulled your plugs lately to see how they look? I bet at 9psi your doing over 280rwhp, very nice.

later,

Paul

DaveEEE

My plugs were gapped at almost 0.040 when you guys did it. Ouch. I was mis-firing bad. I took them down to .028 which is Nsports preference. Worked great and the spark plugs are fine....

-dave

lowpsi

If you could do it all over again would you go the sr20det route or no and why(not)....I just picked up a 91 240 and cant decide which way to go bout turboing it.....help me.....Z

DaveEEE

I've never ridden in an SR, and none of my friends have them. However, I don't have one damn complaint about the nsport kit and my car right now besides the kit doesnt come with a new clutch (How did they expect the stock one to hold all this power? :D), not that any turbo kit's do though...

I just absolutely love it, the torque speaks for itself. Mmmm I want to go driving right now....

-david 93 ka24det

big jon's 240
Car: uh....football, cars, and um, cars!

How is the lag with Nsports kit. Ive been in a 240 with a t3/t4 hybrid and the lag was not bad at all. Just curious how fast the strait T4 that comes with the Nsport will spool up.

DaveEEE

I don't recall when it starts to build, but I reach my full boost (9 psi) at 3800-4k....

-david

Emperor

Hey daveee, do you have any pics of your engine w/ the turbo kit installed? i have never got to see one besides the one on the nsport website. Also curious when you bought it, because i have heard that they changed the kit a bunch lately. I do wish they would update that website every once and while...thanks.

DaveEEE

I ordered in the end of March/ beginning of april of this year, receieved my kit in the first week of June (so it was a 12 week wait).

Here is pics of the kit (besides the coil, bov, and wastegate, i bought those seperate of course):

http://community.webshots.com/album/44146936Vrzeeq

And here are pics of the kit installed:

http://community.webshots.com/album/43894472eLhvZR

-david, 93 ka24det

lowpsi

Davee, just to get an Idea of how fast the car is, what dose your kill list look like?? And how dose it pull on top end??later...Z

Emperor

Holy crap, thanks a lot those pics are great!

DaveEEE

Well, I haven't lost a race yet....

Any civic (lol), preludes, mustang GT's, 5.0's, 5.0's on the bottle, mustang cobra's, z28's, turbo mr2, gst's..... list goes on.

Top end = crazy. Nuff said.

-david, 93 ka24det

Emperor

Call me crazy, but what is all that "rust" looking stuff on your turbo and downpipe?

DaveEEE

Once we installed it, we watered down the engine. Instantly it turned into that rust color. The exhaust side and the downpipe aren't coated... I kinda wish it was, but I live with it. Before you install the kit you might wanna take it somewhere and get it coated.

-david

BinaryVertigo

daveEEE,

1. What is the advantage of the Crane fireball coil2. Did you custom your turbo set up (it looks like you did)3. if so how is the rev hard manifold in quality and performance?

thanksdemitri

DaveEEE

1. Gives the engine a little better spark, I think it just helps the engine work a little harder. Really a full ignition with it would be better, but I couldnt afford it at the time.2. Custom? I swapped out a few of nsports components, such as the bov and wastegate, added the coil, etc.3. It hasn't cracked on me, I haven't had any problems.

-david, 93 ka24det

BinaryVertigo

daveEEE

how much boost are you running and is your car a daily?

thanks

DaveEEE

9psi, and yes its my daily....

-david, 93 ka24det

BinaryVertigo

daveEEE sorry for all the questions but i'm plannin to go KAT also...just wanted to find all infos before i dive in

is your motor completely stock with stock pistons/rods/valvetrain etc?? thanks

if you were to do it again...what would be done differently

do you have upgraded ECU or runnin piggy back fuel controllers

how long have you had your setup?

thanks dave =]look forward for me to bug you on your setup lol =]

-demitri

DaveEEE

Everything is stock, including my fuel system besides the cartech fmu and fuel pump that came with the Nsport kit.

Yes, I am completely happy with the kit and I would not do anything different. We put the turbo on in the first week of june of this year.

-david, 93 ka24det

BinaryVertigo

daveEEE

did the nsport kit came with an assembled down pipe? or did you have to do some welding?

thanks

DaveEEE

It had to be welded to my exhaust... I took my N1 dual to the exhaust shop with the kit installed, open downpipe. They cut off my exhaust after the cat, and just put 3inch all the way back and welded to the downpipe and screwed to a new section on the exhaust. It was about $100, but they installed my egt probe too.

battyx

Hey Dave, what was the total price including install?

Are you running the intercooler that came with the Nsport kit?

Have you 1/4 miled the car yet?

aleph1
Car: 1990 240SX hatch MODS: class.

pfff, dont get a kit. for the same price of an nsport kit (4000) i can get all this:

Ball bearing T3/T4 hybrid or TO4B- 1000Revhard manifold OR BYP Manifold- 450-550FMIC (Starion or Spearco)- 200-400Intercooler piping (w/downpipe)- 250Apexi N1 Dual exhaust- 530CAI- 200Blitz or HKS BOV- 160Turbonetics Deltagate- 240Fuel pump- 120Fuel pressure regulator- 160Fittings and misc- 50SPEC Stage2 Clutch (holds 300ft/lbs)- 285Autometer Cobalt Boost Gauge- 100~Autometer Cobalt Air/Fuel Ratio- 75A-pillar dual 2" gauge pods- 30

ok, so SLIGHTY over 4000, but that was added using the highest prices, plus you might not need some of the stuff...my point is you can get WAY more **** if you took the same amount of money and bought all the parts on your own.

BTW- Thats my plan above, gonna run on 7psi for a while til I get another KA to build up for more boost.

Also, the plus side of the kit is that you get instructions and its more "complete" as in everything is meant to fit perfectly and with not much trouble. Don't take my advice if you dont know much about setting up a turbo system (or you could pay someone to install it, but whats the fun in that?). I know a decent amount, but it will be a learning experience as I go, and my friends will help so it will be all good.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”