XS Engineering Turbo Kit

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
DaveEEE

I paid $3300 for my nsport.... so, you are about ~$700 more... hmm....

-david, 93 ka24det

aleph1
Car: 1990 240SX hatch MODS: class.

still a better deal, plus they raised prices since you bought it I believe.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

aleph1, While building your own kit can be rewarding and can possibly save you money, it is quite inconvenient and time consuming. Most people do not have the ability to weld their own pipes, or would even want to try and deal with making sure it fits correctly. In most cases, one would have to leave their car at a shop after having towed it in with the turbo kit partially assembled. Consider that you can easily install a premade turbo kit withing a day if you're real good or a weekend at a leisurely pace. And as far as I know, NSPORT's prices did not change overly dramatically. Especially considering the quality of the kit was significantly increased as a result. And BTW, good luck trying to get an intercooler that is comparable in size to the NSPORT Intercooler for only $400. Last I checked a core that big was up over $600 and some in the industry have told me the prices went up since Turbonetics bought Spearco out.

aleph1

Well, I would pay a muffler shop to do the pipe welding and such.

how big is the Nsport intercooler? One i was thinking about getting is about 20"x8"x3" (just core).

Thing is, Im not bagging on Nsport or anything, they make quality stuff...at one point I was thinking of getting their kit. BUT I would need to get more stuff than that kit (like clutch, exhaust, gauges...) and I could get it for the same price as the kit. I dont have money to throw around that much, but I do have a decent amount of time to install with friends/parents. So, for me, Its a good setup.

C-Kwik

It's a pretty nice Core. I don't know the exact dimensions. I've heard it's a Skyline GTR core. Looks about that size, if not bigger. It's bigger than the one that came on my XS kit.

I know you weren't bagging. Actually, I think you were trying to be helpful. But it seemed alomost like you were trying to sell your idea. Though, you may have just been bragging...which is allowed. =)

DaveEEE

Intercooler is 24" x 11" x 2.75"....

-david, 93 ka24det

aleph1

damn that is a big intercooler!

DaveEEE- your setup is almost exactly what I plan on having.

Honestly, If the nsport kit was cheaper I would think about getting it, but now that its apparently going for 4000~, to me its not worth it. really the only bad part about the kit is the RevHard manifold, I heard it isnt port-match if you use it with the turbo facing up. I would prefer te BYP manifold.

For 3000 even Id prolly get it.

Matthew

I'm sorry for my "n00bie-ism" but with these kits are you guys running the stock ecu? I've always toyed with the idea of building a 240 when i outgrow my crx (OMG a honda!:eek: ) and have been reading as much as i can, and i helped my friend with his turbo'd se-r. But no where on the nsport website did i see anything about an ECU upgrade like JWT or even an MAF upgrade. Do you guys have no fear about ignition timing issues with the stock ecu + boost?I'm just curious, thanks guys!I already have a MSD 6BTM, an S-AFC and some 450's, which will end up on whichever car i turbo!

DaveEEE

You are correct Matt, the Nsport kit does not come with an upgraded ECU. Also, no new injectors. Therefore they give you the cartech FMU, which is working fine for me at 9psi.

-David, 93 ka24det

Matthew

Wow, so at only 6.5 psi, these turbo kits are making over 100 additional horsepower? Thats crazy!DaveEEE: Thanks for the reply, i think you just sold me on a 240!

BinaryVertigo

that's one huge i/c...it is bar and plate or tube and fin daveEEE

BinaryVertigo

that's one huge i/c...it is bar and plate or tube and fins daveEEE

Movingviolation240
Car: Big boost and flying are 2 of the 3 things I can't turn down

it's tube fin

EyeStabPeople

thats not a GTR core... i have a r34 GTR core sitting next to me ;)

the GTR core i have has the bars angled

EyeStabPeople

maybe its a hacked powerstroke intercooler? maybe a cummins, i know one of the is 2.75'' wide

kieboi

hey davidEEE, how's your MPG? i'm guessing its low, but i'm just curious. thanks

markorlando, fl too. just like paul, hehe.

BinaryVertigo

i was just debating about this with my friend....sorry to OT but shouldnt a turbo motor be more gas efficient than a n/a motor? given the fact that the two motors are identical? i say it should

-demitri

aleph1

no, turbo motors usually have less MPG. You have to deliver more fuel for all the air coming from the turbo now.

big jon's 240
Car: uh....football, cars, and um, cars!

no, the turbo will have worse fuel economy. the whole purpose of a turbo is to stuff more air into the cylinder. the more air you have in the cylinder, the more fuel you have to have also.

DaveEEE

I only get 200 miles to a tank... Yeah it's low, but its worth it. :D

-david

big jon's 240
Car: uh....football, cars, and um, cars!

its always worth the extra $ at the pump to go fast!

BinaryVertigo

you guys for got that it's the same motor with the same fuel delivery...i think the turbo motor would be able to burn fuel more effectively at around 4-5 psi than the n/a....raising the MPG...daveEEE i think you're only gettin 200 to the tank because you upgraded your fuel delivery in order to run more boost..but if you didnt i think you would have saved some fuel....i know you guys dissagree so tell me where i'm wrongthanks

Movingviolation240

he's also smart, if you run a KA lean you will eventually detonate, and then you will be spending all sorts of money on new pistons and rods.

a turbo will improve the VE of a motor, but you still need to mix air with all that fuel going into the engine. You could make the same HP with less 'throttle' due to the higher specific output, or you could make more HP while useing more gas.

I think about everybody on here wants more HP.

Besides I'd rather buy gas than pistons any day.....

95_240sx
Car: My baby (car)

Its all very simple you know..More air+more fuel=more power.

Rick

C-Kwik

Keep in mind that even when driving off boost, the turbo is a restriction in the exhaust. I get about 15 mpg on average. I drive quite hard and boost a lot. On my best day, I've seen 20 mpg. I have played with my timing some since I had to back it off when my boost was spiking(Damn deltagates) and I'm hoping that will help. It's hard to tell though since I've been commuting to work by plane now and only drive the car on weekends.

AkaiRPS13
Car: Kyoumi wa kuruma ya bujitsu ya nihongo desu.

just a quick question: if the rev-hard manifold is designed to be a bottom mount then why not use it as it was intendid?

Movingviolation240

cuz you have to use a girl sized turbo if you bottom mount it.

OnyxZX

Hey guys, this is my first post so pardon my newbie-ness :D . I'm planning on selling my 300ZX here soon and maybe picking up a S13. I've done some reasearch on the SR20DET swap,which to me seems kinda bothersome compared to bolting a kit on the KA24. So, I turned to this board to answer some questions. I have been living in the naturally aspirated world :rolleyes and am completely new to this foreign power you refer to as "turbo." Alright, from what I've gathered here...

1) The NSport kit is slightly better than the XS kit.2) The Nsport kit does NOT require an upgraded ECU or injectors.3) Fairly easy to install.

If any of the above is not true, please correct me. Now, a couple of questions I have not been able to find...

1) Slapping a turbo kit on a 80k+ mile car...safe? Where could I find some stronger internals to rebuild a KA24 with? Any estimates on how much to re-build the low-end? 2) Is there anything else that might be helpful in this process?

Oh, if you guys are wondering, I'm selling my Z due to all the freakin' maintenence it demands. That's why I'm kinda shy about getting a Twin Turbo. Don't think I haven't thought of that one :D Thanks!

BinaryVertigo

1. it depends on your definition of "better"2. upgraded ecu and injectors should be considered if you are planning to boost pass 9 psi3. ask daveEEE how long it took for him to get his kit on and working right...and this guy knows his nissan too

i really dont think any turbo kit is "bolt-on"...."off the shelf" yes but definitely not "bolt on" since tapping/drilling/welding etc is required....also the basic knowledge of your fuel system's limitations and avail. upgrades/mods should be looked into...just in case you dont want to blow your 80k+ mile KA into pieces....most people are successful at turboing an engine that old but my advice is a rebuild - at least with stock internals....good luck on your project and keep us updated

-demitri

DaveEEE

Give yourself a few days to install it....

-david, 93 ka24det

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”