Xmas Came early KA-T beginnings

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
n00b240
Car: '03 6MT

People always seem to post up their s*** in boxes, makes me feel Like I've been rick rolled, so here are my boxes

Step 1: rebuild

The boxes
CP Pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP all around
BC springs
RB25 ACT Heavy Clutch + flywheel

No boxes:
valve heads
Timing chain kit
various belts
Miscellaneous things needed for the rebuild

Step 2: Break in + auto-x in Feb

nelson8708
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx Fastback
1994 Acura Integra LS

that's an expensive stack you got there

neverlift

man how does that rb flywheel weigh in at? I got a "oem" flywheel but the fvcker weighs almost 40lbs

rps13sh
Car: 1991 Nissan 240SX Super Hicas

so the KA24DE can use a RB25 clutch and flywheel? i dont see any flywheels listed for RB or KA on ACT website.

n00b240

neverlift wrote:man how does that rb flywheel weigh in at? I got a "oem" flywheel but the fvcker weighs almost 40lbs
Its the stock RB25 flywheel, I just noticed that, that box is not included in my stack Sorry bout that. But that mofo is hella heavy, not as heavy as my 40 lb dumbells tho. I think its 35 lbs
rps13sh wrote:so the KA24DE can use a RB25 clutch and flywheel? i dont see any flywheels listed for RB or KA on ACT website.
Yes, I guess it was a grammar mistake on my part, I assumed but not saying ACT flywheel, people would just know that ACT doesnt make an RB25 flywheel. They do however make a KA and SR flywheel. Not sure i'll be needing such a light weight application. It would be a nice area to think about weight savings. The ACT SR flywheel is 14 lbs, the KA is 12 lbs, I wonder why they dont make an RB one

neverlift

oh okay, that helps me not look for an rb flywheel, looks liek its time to get another hardbopdy unit and have some weight machined off of it...

rps13sh
google white bunny
its a proven cheap 400ftlbs setup.I have probably been slightly over that number with mine, and its an autozone special. IIRC cost was under 200bux all local with a lifetime warranty.. But a 280zx clutch can be use as well as some other 9bolt PP, just make sure the disc has the correct spline.

nelson8708
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx Fastback
1994 Acura Integra LS

neverlift wrote: google white bunny
its a proven cheap 400ftlbs setup.I have probably been slightly over that number with mine, and its an autozone special. IIRC cost was under 200bux all local with a lifetime warranty.. But a 280zx clutch can be use as well as some other 9bolt PP, just make sure the disc has the correct spline.
what clutch did u go with specifically? I did the white bunny with parts from advance auto parts and it started to slip around 250ft lbs, i was pretty s*** about that.

I could definitely feel a difference going from a stock flywheel to a white bunny special so i dont even want to think how much it would change going from the 28lb d21 flywheel to a 35lb rb flywheel.

neverlift

no my FW weighs like 40 lbs by itself. The clutch was a cheap 93 hardbody clutch kit duralast, built to last. :facepalm:

when I took it out it had like 2 very light hot spots, I just scuffed the s*** with some 220grit and threw it back in. Felt a little more bitty. IDK I was doing 18psi for a bit with it(t3 mod'd stock injectors) but the setup saw 25psi 2 or 3 times on accident and held till I noticed around 6k. You can shave the mounting surface to increase clamp slightly IIRC(and dont quote me) .025 or something.

I did my break in kinda thoroughly. I did a LOT of city driving and made sure to cycle the heat in and out like with a new set of pads and rotors on the back roads. You know slip it some then drive easy a bit, repeat... now issues so far, the disc looked very good still :yesnod

ps I hate advance they normally sell garbage. Or have me anyways

n00b240

nelson8708 wrote:what clutch did u go with specifically?
I went with the ACT's NS3-HDG6

eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

Damn, looks like a decent set of parts to get started with! Holy smokes.

jack
What the heck flywheel are you guys getting?

I have a stock RB20 flywheel, and it's 22.x pounds. That's before being surfaced, and totally stock. But I don't think there is a difference between the RB20 or RB25. But what do I know...
And for what it's worth, I went with a 6-puck sprung 350z clutch set from F1/Gripforce. I'll let you know how it holds up after a few months.
/jack

neverlift

really, I will have to get an rb fw then. Thats 15lbs I could shed on rotating mass, would make this thing way more rev happy. Its that or start machining it down or removing holes from the backside.

n00b240

eazye2000 wrote:I have a stock RB20 flywheel, and it's 22.x pounds.
Damn, I should have searched a bit more. I guess it came down to I found an RB25 flywheel that was cheap, and worked with the white bunny with an RB25 clutch that was also cheap, but even more so, its a 400lb proven setup. I did spend quite the coin for all of those boxes. Done with the install now though, will be writing a review soon

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”