XM Satellite radio *installed*

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

That's right, I got my newly tinted and radioed Versa back today.

I went ahead and had my dealer install the radio because I didn't want to screw with it, and I knew none of the local shops would know where to put it (yet). My dealer says that they will be charging future customers 2 hours of labor, but I managed to get mine installed for just 1 hour.

I got the opportunity to ask the service tech where the actual tuner is installed in the car. It's installed right around the left taillight, inside the plastic trim in the trunk area. She said it "wasn't too bad to get to", and that there are holes already present for the kit to bolt to (hence the mounting bracket).

The antenna is a permanent-mount small roof antenna that was attached just in front of the hatch hinge seam on the roof, on the left corner. Pic attached.

Also, it's very nice being able to mix presets in whatever order on this stereo... I've got the few AM and FM stations I listen to all on the A preset band, leaving the B and C preset bands for the XM stations I like to listen to.

Ever Victorious

Also, someone asked for a picture of the radio when it is tuned to a satellite station. Here it is... tuned to XM 150 (XM Comedy)

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Good info, thanks.

I also love the multi-band presets...so much more convenient. I wish my Pioneer headunit did that.

Kermee

Ever Victorious,

Very nice! Thanks for the post, pix and info!

I'm debating whether to add the OEM XM kit or figure out how to get a car kit for my Delphi SkyFi2 unit into the Versa. It's a very clean install in the Lexus because I tore the center console apart and ran the wires underneath the carpet but only because someone else had already tried/did it and had instructions on how to make a clean install of it.

Maybe if I'm adventerous, I'll try to do it this weekend...

MinisterofDOOM,

I know what you mean. I use to have a Pioneer HU in my old Galant and loved it. Had to switch back and forth between XM and FM all the time. The whole preset system in the Versa is very nice!

Cheers,Kermee

cireecnop1
Car: 2007 Toyota Touring Prius w/Package#5

WOW that antenna for that sat is not as bad as i thought it would be it looks nice, i like how it sort of forms to the edge of the hatch, very good looking ever victorious.

voltronguy
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Super Black

Ever Victorious wrote:I got the opportunity to ask the service tech where the actual tuner is installed in the car. It's installed right around the left taillight, inside the plastic trim in the trunk area. She said it "wasn't too bad to get to", and that there are holes already present for the kit to bolt to (hence the mounting bracket).
If you get the time, would you mind taking a picture of where the tuner actually is? If it looks like something easy to pop open would you mind taking a pic of the tuner in the mount?

I've had experience installing plug an play units on a few cars so I'd like to see how much of a challenge it would be to put this kit in.

Regards

gr81

Thanks. I was the one asking about seeing what the screen looked like on sat stations. I am spoiled by the amount of info that I get on my Myfi (like the sports ticker, and full name of artist and song). I see there is a "Display" button, so I am guessing more info may be available, but from the size of the readout, I am also guessing I will lose my sports ticker info, but can live with it.

Ever Victorious

Voltron - I didn't install it myself, the Nissan dealer did. As far as the rear panels go, it looks like they're all put in place with plastic rivets, which I don't have the appropriate tool to remove without damaging. So I will be unable to comply with your request.

Gr81- Yes, the DISP button switches between various display information. You can have it tell you the name of the station, the name of the program, the name of the artist, and the name of the song. I'm used to a Roady2, so I'm used to having 3 of those pieces of info displayed simultaneously, but I can live with having to press a button if I'm curious. I usually have it in that display format I have above because there's no secondary clock.

Return to “Versa General Chat”