XM replaces punk with 24/7 ACDC

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
captainfalco
Car: S14,MX83

What the hell? Apparently because of the merger, both XM and Sirius replaced their punk stations with non stop AC/DC. I'm not pissed because its AC/DC (although I do hate them alot), but they just replaced a WHOLE channel devoted to one artist.

http://www.punknews.org/article/30459

bring Fungus 53 back!!!petitionhttp://www.petitionspot.com/pe...gus53

spngr311
Car: 1997 Nissan 240SX Daily and 1992 Nissan 240SX Project

I know! That pissed me off! I called XM, bitched at the rep, emailed them and got this reply:
Lou Brutus wrote:Thank you for writing in about the demise of Fungus 53.

I’ve copied the letter regarding the elimination of the punk format from our SVP of Music Programming Jon Zellner below.

Hope this answers your question about the cancellation. If you have any other questions please feel free to write back.

Thanks so much for taking the time to write with your comments on XM 53 Fungus.

We recognize and appreciate the fact that Fungus and punk, ska and hardcore has loyal fans like you, but because we have limited space on our platform for music channels, we’re often faced with having to make difficult decisions when it comes to what’s available on our channel line-up. Fungus was one of the channels that had a very loyal but also a very limited audience.

Some of the music heard on Fungus can be heard on other XM channels including Fred (XM 44) and Ethel (XM 47).

Again, we appreciate you being a fan of Fungus and hope you listened to enough other XM channels to stick around as a subscriber.

Thanks again for writing and for being part of the XM Nation.

Best regards,

Jon

Jon ZellnerSVP Music ProgrammingSirius XM Radio

If you have any other questions please feel free to write back.

Thanks,

LOU BRUTUS
The whole reason I subscribed to XM was to get their punk station. At the time Sirius didn't have a full punk station. Also, now that they are one company, there is reduced choice as the both have the same station now. I hope satellite radio fails now for screwing it up.

captainfalco

That goes for me too. The original reason I went with XM (3-4 years ago) is because Sirius' punk station included rap and metal as well.

XM already has like 4-5 metal stations where AC/DC could probably have their own weekly show or afternoon or something. Instead, executives decide to commendeer a whole channel.

spngr311

The only reason there's this AC/DC station is because of their new album. It sucks that the station became a huge advertising platform. Same thing happened with the Metallica station, but it's only supposed to be for 30 days, not 3-4 months like this crap.

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

Satellite radio sucks. Period. All they do is play the same songs over and over and the worst part is you're paying them to play the same songs over and over!

Satellite radio = fail

ipod/mp3 and or CDs = win

heck even FM radio is better than satellite.

captainfalco

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. I loved my satellite radio when I had it. I used it to complement my mp3 cd's and my zune. I cannot stand to even hear the same songs over and over again. I've heard countless new bands and music from fungus 53 and a few other stations that I have added to my zune.

whoflungpoo
Car: 2006 Infinity G35 Sedan
2003 Evolution VIII

AZ89two4Tsx wrote:Satellite radio sucks. Period. All they do is play the same songs over and over and the worst part is you're paying them to play the same songs over and over!

Satellite radio = fail

ipod/mp3 and or CDs = win

heck even FM radio is better than satellite.
tis pretty obvious that you have limited exposure to XM. The comedy station alone is worth the price of admission.

most of the time that it's not on 150, it's on squizz, where I rarely hear he same song twice in a day, or it's on fred, ethel or liquid metal.

you must have been listening to 20 on 20 or something aiken like that.

Papi Chulo
Car: 72' Datsun 510

AZ89two4Tsx wrote:All they do is play the same songs over and over and the worst part is you're paying them to play the same songs over and over!
no... just no.

I listen to the verge, ethel, the rhyme, xmu and xmlm. Most stations have a standard of songs that they'll play everyday but I've never heard the same song twice on the same day.

I remember when they were doing the 24hr coldplay ****.... that was worse than the holocaust.
Modified by Papi Chulo at 9:43 PM 9/24/2008

AZ89two4Tsx
Car: 2017 VW GTI, 14 Honda CBR650F

My mom had it free for 2 months we she bought her 07 TL and it was horrible. I don't know where you guys are coming from at all. Maybe the free trial had different stations or something, but I could never find anything at all I liked.

whoflungpoo
Car: 2006 Infinity G35 Sedan
2003 Evolution VIII

AZ89two4Tsx wrote:My mom had it free for 2 months we she bought her 07 TL and it was horrible. I don't know where you guys are coming from at all. Maybe the free trial had different stations or something, but I could never find anything at all I liked.
wtf, do you listen to chamber music or something? I can't fathom someone advocating commercial infested FM over the buffet that XM offers.

spngr311

Well, the buffet now sucks with very little variety now that the punk station is gone.

captainfalco

spngr311 wrote:Well, the buffet now sucks with very little variety now that the punk station is gone.
And it's not that is is only punk either. Fungus had lots of genres to make it interesting for everyone like punk, ska, hardcore, little raggae, rockabilly, surf rock, and some wierd industrial stuff on sunday nights.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

dude that's ****in' gay!

hell, most classic rock stations on normal radio are all ACDC

I'd contemplated getting it at one point...this is the nail in the coffin though...I'll stick to CD/MP3's

480sx
Car: 1996 Pearl White 240sx

Dude, so much good music is played on XM. I love sat radio to death. I was listening to the MIA - Paper planes song back in febuary, rockin that **** out. Then it blew up 4-5 months later when people heard it for the first time. This is just one small example.

Iv found SO many bands that i like because of XM, and DLed every song from the artist(!, i do randomly buy CD's though), and found even more songs that i like. There is no replacement for XM, it is priceless.

Listen to mostly Ethel, the Rhyme, some Squizz, Lucy, and the random channels, Comedy, politics & news.

It sucks that they did this to Fungus and replaced it with.. Garbage, no doubt at all. However sat radio is still the best way to find good new music that you would otherwise never know existed(again, PRICELESS).

Return to “The Music Room”