xm radio

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
strat 50
Car: versa

hey does anyone have this installed in their versa?i just sent for the radio from xm.ya know the one you plug into your "cig" power source .how well do they work ?thanks!!

Shad0wXCalibur
Car: Nissan Versa SL Sedan

I'm not sure what you're asking.. it's a radio. It broadcasts music.. except its like cable/satellite tv is to local tv.

BigMac1520
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

I have one in mine. It plugs into the AUX plug. I hardwired it into the fuse box. You have to get a cig socket from an auto parts store to do it.It works great, wouldn't be with out one. Sorry I don't know how to post and image but you can try to follow the link below.

BigMac

/http://vrcc.photostash.com/vrcc_4369/IM000626.JPG

lain
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

Ive heard that Sirius radio is better...but I haven't had either so I'm not so sure.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

a heads-up: XM will be/is being bought out by Sirius . . . the merger will take a bit as will the mingling of technologies . . .

lain
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S

for those of you that like evidence here is a talk about the merge.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/1...x.htm

vpnavy
Car: 2006 Maxima
2007 Versa

strat 50 wrote:hey does anyone have this installed in their versa?i just sent for the radio from xm.ya know the one you plug into your "cig" power source .how well do they work ?thanks!!
I have a 2007 Versa S with a standard radio (no AUX).

I bought a XM Radio (RoadyXT).

I ordered an adapter for $29.95 (shipped) from zerothread?id=276663 and placed it between the radio antenna and stock radio (very easy). When I turned on the XMRadio - it feeds right into my existing radio (easy as pie!). There are two links that show how to get behind the radio on http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=227206 and zerothread/267206 .

I ran up to AutoZone and bought a Fuse Splitter (plug's into existing fuse and give you another one to plug your XMRadio into). I didn't want to cut the Cig Power Plug that came with the XMRadio so I also picked up a Female Cig Lighter Receptacle and simply connect that to the fuse splitter and plugged the XMRadio Cig Power Plug into it.

I ran the Antenna from under the dash up to the windshield (inside my ride) and have the Antenna right in the middle behind the defrost vents. No need to go outside the ride...

Mounted the XMRadio mount just below the left dash vent (near the driver's door).

It works like a champ!

bigdog
Car: 2007 versa s 2007 xterra 1982 dodge truck

i had the roady also mine came w/car charger so all i did was plug in car charger,ran antenna to roof & found empty station on radio & there u have xm coming into car. But now dont have to worriy bout tht have new pioneer w/xm ready.

vpnavy
2007 Versa

bigdog wrote:i had the roady also mine came w/car charger so all i did was plug in car charger,ran antenna to roof & found empty station on radio & there u have xm coming into car. But now dont have to worriy bout tht have new pioneer w/xm ready.
The reason I went with the adapter is because I had to keep changing "empty station" and it turned out to be a pain. With the adapter - I just tuned to 88.5 and never had to change it again.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

From my personal experience you shoulda gone with Sirius. I had XM and although they had a lot of channels, the continually played the same 20 or so songs over and over again so you had to keep switching channels. With Sirius, their song library per channel seems to be better.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Knightro2 wrote:From my personal experience you shoulda gone with Sirius. I had XM and although they had a lot of channels, the continually played the same 20 or so songs over and over again so you had to keep switching channels. With Sirius, their song library per channel seems to be better.
the ONLY channel I've ever had that problem with on XM is Flight 26. Oh yeah, there's also one channel that is listed as "the top 20 on XM", so yeah, THAT channel WILL repeat itself once an hour.

I regularly listen to a half dozen other channels, and their playlists are so good I never hear the same song twice a day. On The System (82), I can go a week or so without hearing the same song repeated.

I listen mostly to trance/techno, and XM's DJ lineup is far stronger than Sirius's. More major-league sports on XM. And no Howard Stern, whom I can't stand.
strat 50 wrote:hey does anyone have this installed in their versa?i just sent for the radio from xm.ya know the one you plug into your "cig" power source .how well do they work ?thanks!!
"The radio" is kind of vague. There are a dozen or so current models that work in the manner you describe. I had a Samsung Helix. It crapped out after less than 3 months... and after 4 months of having the unit in at Samsung for repair (which they couldn't fix it), I am FINALLY getting a refund for it.

I currently run an Audiovox Express. It's a much simpler unit, but still does the job fine. I run mine through the AUX port, since I don't need it for an MP3 player. I prefer to run it this way because, with the population density in my area, FM modulators are unreliable at best. Hardwired was the only reasonable way to go.

I have my unit mounted to the right of the stereo, powered by the cig lighter (didn't wire a secondary power outlet), with the antenna affixed to the dash just to the right of the defrost vents under the windshield.
frankohabs wrote:a heads-up: XM will be/is being bought out by Sirius . . . the merger will take a bit as will the mingling of technologies . . .
Even *IF* the merger occurs (the FCC is looking deep into this), both companies will continue to operate separate programming for quite some time while everything is hashed out.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

Ever Victorious wrote:Even *IF* the merger occurs (the FCC is looking deep into this), both companies will continue to operate separate programming for quite some time while everything is hashed out.
It's closer than you think, EV . . . but because the technology/chip/whatever between the two is different it will take "quite some time" [good nebulous timeframe] indeed [minimum 3 years, I'm told].

BigMac1520
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

Here's where I put mine. I figured out how to post an image.

BigMac

vpnavy
2007 Versa

Knightro2 wrote:From my personal experience you shoulda gone with Sirius. I had XM and although they had a lot of channels, the continually played the same 20 or so songs over and over again so you had to keep switching channels. With Sirius, their song library per channel seems to be better.
I only listen to FOX so it was no problem.

vpnavy
2007 Versa

Lanthom
Car: Nissan Versa SL Sedan

vpnavy wrote:I ordered an adapter for $29.95 (shipped) from zerothread?id=276663 and placed it between the radio antenna and stock radio (very easy). When I turned on the XMRadio - it feeds right into my existing radio (easy as pie!). There are two links that show how to get behind the radio on http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=227206 and zerothread/267206 .
Does anyone know if this same device works with the SL model? When I had mine installed Circuit City told me the one they had didn't fit because the radio had a weird antenna connector. I get so tired of changing radio stations when traveling.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

The S and SL use the same antenna connector, so there's no reason that it would work with one and not the other.

And most stereo shops are taken aback by the antenna adapter. Worst case, you need an adapter wire that Versaspeed sells.

monkeybizzer

HiHubby is installing my Sirus today. He read that the antenna was not to be installed inside the car. Only on the outside. We don't know if the glass would get in the way, or what, but that's what the instructions read.

vpnavy
2007 Versa

monkeybizzer wrote:HiHubby is installing my Sirus today. He read that the antenna was not to be installed inside the car. Only on the outside. We don't know if the glass would get in the way, or what, but that's what the instructions read.
Glass doesn't get in the way at all. Look above (showed where mine is laying) - absolutely no problems at all.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”