XENTEC HIDs need HEEELP :(

All things Altima Coupe.
Sacky2.5
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S 6MT + Premium Package

so I finally got my xentec kit in and I was doing the install, starting with the drivers side, installed it, mounted ballast, closed the wheel well up, HIDs worked beautifully as I checked before remounting everything. Then when I got around to the second light on the passanger side, I installed it, turned it on and it didn't work. so I turned the lights off and on again, and now BOTH of them don't work....

anyone got any ideas?

rjdmmfl1
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe, Radiant Silver, 3.5SE, Premium Package, VDC

Nope, I've installed two sets of Xentec HIDs.. one in my wife's headlights, and one in my foglights... did you use gloves when installing? Did you accidentally touch the bulb?

Did you try testing the bulbs on a battery?

team_work
Car: 2006 G35 coupe

are the plugs in all the way? mine didnt come on at 1st but it was because the plug to the stock harness wasnt connecting. just had to adjust the plug

Sacky2.5

oke stupid question but..... can it be because i didn't use those two wires to connect my harness to the ballast?

Sacky2.5

ie i plugged in the harness directly to the ballast? no worky like so?

mpbclutch33
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5L, 6-speed, Radiant Silver.

I am no expert, but having 2 wires left over after installing HID's is the reason they aren't working. Hope you didn't damage the bulb or ballast. I am installing mine tomorrow and have read the directions like 10 times to make sure I don't mess anything up.

Sacky2.5

i just figured they're extensions. besides, if the first one worked after installing it without the extension cable, then i assumed that's how it works. either way i'm gonna try it again tomorrow with the cables

rjdmmfl1

OK, first, please resize your pictures when you post them. Its extremely annoying looking at these supersized pictures!

Second, there's a tutorial on here that shows you exactly how to install HID lights. Its the same for ALL HID kits. Yes you need all wires, no they are not extensions. I have no idea how you hooked them up, but you may have damaged something doing what you did. I can't even imagine what you did or how you left out such a crucial piece !

PLease follow the tutorial that eric setup for everyone. Its been used at least 100x and no one has ever messed up the install after using his tutorial!

omnixas

Sacky2.5 wrote:ie i plugged in the harness directly to the ballast? no worky like so?
I'm not sure who you purchased your conversion kit from, but every kit pretty much comes with the same basic contents. I have a diagram picture here to show you what connects to what when installing a conversion kit.

Please make sure that you connect all wires to the proper connectors or you could dammage your conversion kit.

Hope that helps...

Kind Regards,

Joe /ceoOmni X Auto Sportshttp://www.omnixautosports.com

Sacky2.5

wow first of all let me apologize for the extremely annoying supersized pictures.

second, i used eric's tutorial for installing the HIDs and i think it's well written but still leaves room for interpretation/misunderstanding and i doubt that i'm the only person to ever mess this up.

so thanks for all of your thoughtful input, i hope you feel like a big man right now, putting little old me in his place.

forums are usually where people turn to when they really have no idea what they're doing and it's only common sense that people learn by their mistakes. don't get me wrong - i completely appreciate all the help i (and all of us) get out of these forums and i think people do a fantastic job of helping each other out when they need help, but when someone calls you out and points out how idiotic you are by messing something up, that's when it starts to get slightly personal and defeats the purpose of the original thread.

EDIT: omnixas - thanks for that diagram EDIT2: my kit didn't come with brackets for securing the ballasts... would it be enough to get some thick zip ties and secure them tightly to the point where they do not move at all to some part of the body near the light?

generic808
Car: 08 Infiniti G35S
10 Infiniti EX35

Can't we all just get along?

Sacky, it sounds like it's a contact problem. You said it fired up at first, but now it doesn't? Hmm...that's pretty odd. When you hook up your harnesses, make sure you're not running them opposite (black to red, red to black). Make sure all leads on both ends (bulb to ballast & ballast to factory harness) are aligned correctly.

My set had reverse wiring, so a simple cut and resolder had me up and running. Just from what you described, it sounds like wiring. I doubt any oils from your fingers would blow your bulbs that quickly, so we can rule that out.

Quick question: did you hook your battery back up after doing the second side? When installing my set, I totally forgot to check the battery, although that wasn't my problem. I'm just trying to figure this out from the bottom.

omnixas

Sacky2.5 wrote:EDIT2: my kit didn't come with brackets for securing the ballasts... would it be enough to get some thick zip ties and secure them tightly to the point where they do not move at all to some part of the body near the light?
Yes that will work fine. However, most zip ties are succeptable to heat. This will cause the ties to harden and break quite easily. So try to find something that is retardent to heat that can be strapped around the kit and securing it to a part of the frame.

MAKE SURE to mount the ballast as far as possible from the engine, preferrably as close as possible to the side of the vehicle behind the headlight housing.

Kind Regards,

Joe /ceoOmni X Auto Sportshttp://www.omnixautosports.com

Sacky2.5

eric: haha yeah first time i did it my battery wasn't reconnected, but i soon figured out that wasn't the problem. I was kinda pressed for time cuz i had to pick up a friend from the train so i admit i was in a rush. i'll give it all a shot from the beginning tomorrow morning, hopefully have some pics up too

omixas: thanks for the info... totally forgot that the zipties can possibly break due to heat - i'll do 3 or 4 of them to make sure and check every so often...

thanks for all teh info guys!!!

rjdmmfl1

Jacub,my apologues for coming off a bit harsh...not my intention

the wire you left out connects the ballast to the vehicle's wiring harness (power switch)...it's possible that there may have been some charge left in the ballast from being tested at the factory, and that may have been why it fired up.

I doubt its a contact problem because the wire you left out is what conects the ballast to the battery(essentially).. so your ballast never even got power from the battery in the first place!

when you connect the cables tomorrow, make sure the red wire is contacting the power portion on the vehicle's wiring harness. likewise, make sure the black is contacting the black... I'm 100% positive that it will fire up when you connect it this time... again my apologies for coming off a bit harsh before... good luck with the install!

oh yeah, the xentek kit doesn't come with mounting brackets like almost all other kits, it just comes with the 3M double sided tape... but that double sided tape is weather/heat tolerant and is strong as hell!

Sacky2.5

hey man don't worry about it, it's all in the past. i'll give it a shot tomorrow... i just hope i didn't bust anything and it'll end up working, can't wait!!!

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

I cant believe you thought it could work without a wire lol... these things are cheap (i have 2 sets of xentec).. dont expect "extra" stuff... i mean... wheres the packaging inside the outer box lol?!

Sacky2.5

booo..... so i think i seriously screwed myself over, i tried installing it the *correct* way and it wouldn't work. Oh well, at least i'm only out 75 bucks.... lesson learned

LongBeachCoupe
Car: 08 Altima Coupe (RIP Hurricane Sandy)
2005 Lexus RX

WHATT??? come on man... you got em off ebay? open a paypal dispute saying they were DOA.... (im a ebay seller)... paypal is royally screwing sellers over.. dont worry.. the seller will swap it out... or u can get ur $ thru paypal... or dispute with CC... just make sure we are the only ones who know you attempted the install yourself and did it incorectly... tell cc/paypal/seller that you had a shop attempt to install and they informed you of DOA from a battery connect.... ur not beat unless you let them beat you... dont get let them kick you around... sacky! lol

omnixas

You're kidding right? I was thinking of offering a group discount to Nico, but if that's the kind of customers i have to look forward to... OUCH!

I am also an ebay powerseller on two accounts. Between ebay scammers like that, and credit card fraud, we recently lost over $1500 in TWO DAYS! I can't believe what I am reading here... Please, don't do that to the seller. Contact the seller instead. There should be at least a one year warranty on them. Follow the warranty directions and get your replacement.

REQUEST: Please don't buy from us if you intend to rob us like that. I HATE devious, lying, deceitful customers that can't accept responsibility for their own mistakes and try to make the merchant pay for them...

As merchants, we try to provide you guys with excellent deals on products that would normally cost you (the consumer) hundreds, and sometimes even THOUSANDS of dollars more... Show us a little more respect please.

Joe /ceoOmni X Auto SportsPhone: 972.704.6391http://www.omnixautosports.com

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

rjdmmfl1

omnixas wrote:You're kidding right? I was thinking of offering a group discount to Nico, but if that's the kind of customers i have to look forward to... OUCH!

I am also an ebay powerseller on two accounts. Between ebay scammers like that, and credit card fraud, we recently lost over $1500 in TWO DAYS! I can't believe what I am reading here... Please, don't do that to the seller. Contact the seller instead. There should be at least a one year warranty on them. Follow the warranty directions and get your replacement.

REQUEST: Please don't buy from us if you intend to rob us like that. I HATE devious, lying, deceitful customers that can't accept responsibility for their own mistakes and try to make the merchant pay for them...

As merchants, we try to provide you guys with excellent deals on products that would normally cost you (the consumer) hundreds, and sometimes even THOUSANDS of dollars more... Show us a little more respect please.

Joe /ceoOmni X Auto SportsPhone: 972.704.6391http://www.omnixautosports.com

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
da*n, LBC, you just got spanked... lol

alphapig
Car: Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5S

Have to agree though... If you potentially brake them by not installing them correctly, I think its reasonable to try and claim the warranty, not assault the seller.

Sacky2.5

definitely in the process of trying to claim the warranty - i'm old enough to understand it was most likely my fault in screwing this up... if this as something waaaaaaaaaayyyy more expensive i might have a different kind of attitude but 75 bucks is no bigs

Sacky2.5

oh boy i'm gonna get sh*t for resurrecting this thread but oh well, rather do that than start another one on hids....

for anyone with the xentec kit: did you remove the yellow rubbery thingies that were pushed down on the leads? I took them out since I figured they would prevent full contact with the harness.

also, i read up in some other threads that you guys tested out to see whether the kit works by hot-starting it by connecting it directly to the battery. do i basically just connect the entire kit within itself, ie plug the bulbs into the ballast, and then run the wires that connect to the harness to the positive and negative ends of the battery while the lights are in the "on" position?

generic808
Car: 08 Infiniti G35S
10 Infiniti EX35

Ahh...after some extensive searching, I finally found that seller. mcmotoring is his name, and his feedback (99.8%) is great considering the volume he moves.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsa...QrdZ0

Now I'm not endorsing this seller; however, I do think X-Light is a "best buy" in the HID department. Like I've said, I had no problems with my set-up to date. If anything should go wrong, I'll be sure to update everyone here. Good luck!

prlwhitecoupe
Car: 2008 Pearl White Altima Coupe 2.5 S w/CVT & Premium Pkg.

Don't take out the yellow things, they are there to seal the connections and prevent water damage! I had the same problem after hooking everything up and nothing worked, then after fiddling around I discovered that the connection into the stock harness, the pins from my hid relay were bent and so they didn't plug into the stock harness properly. After I fixed it, BOOM there was LIGHT!

I ran the driver's side relay wires straight to the battery, and on the passenger side the red power cable to the battery but I grounded the black wire to the chassis because it was too short to reach the negative terminal. And NO you should not have any wires left over. You might have blown a fuse. So to make sure you haven't done dat, plug your halogens back in and see if your headlights still work. If not then you have either of 2 problems - 1) Connectors are not plugged into eachother proper (hid harness ---> stock harness; check hid pins) or 2) You haven'tproperly grounded you relay (black wire)...hope that helps! Goodluck.

Return to “Altima Coupe (2008-2013)”