Xbox One Announced

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
RCA

Watch it here.

My thoughts:
I did enjoy these parts:
  • MS managed to get Video on-demand features on the One, impressive. Any one who owns a 3rd party cable box, like TiVo or on PC, knows that VOD features do not work. If Xbox managed to pull this off then I would say that, depending on price point, they might be THE option for choosing 3rd party cable boxes.

You can capture game footage and edit it on One. This is going to take a chunk out of the low end capture hardware market but if Xbox allows you to record games at 1080p instead of current limitations of 1080i then things can get interesting.
But I was disappointed by this:
  • No backwards compatibility. This is becoming a trend and it makes me a sad panda.

None of those videos were game play footage, they were cinematic trailers.
    MS, I don't want the Kinect experience but now it is a part of the system. The talking out of commands seems like it would be ok but I can press 1 button to log my self in and I DO NOT want you sensing that I'm in the room. WTF

TV, TV. TV. I get it but I already have one of those TV things, you are a video game console 1st then a TV box. Show me some reasons to buy day 1 because if you're biggest trick is TV then I'm not interested. There are more and more people willing to cut the cord and drop cable altogether; for me specifically I barely watch TV so this isn't much of a selling point.

The entire EA segment. Congrats of the partnership, EA Sports will now make the same games they were planing on making for the One but now with a partnership! *(commence idiots clapping)* Also "True Player Motion", stop with the f*** motion controls. And finally "Only for the Xbox", really s*** guys. There isn't a single reason why they could be for any one else but because of our Xbox Live money they can buy Devs to not make content for other consoles. s***. It's suppose to make more awesome things happen, not keep things that are going to exist any way from getting to other people.

XBOX LIVE POWERED BY THE CLOUD! I don't want cloud anything. I want my saves on my machine so I can play my games when I want without having to load them from the f*** cloud. Jesus Christ guys. If it's just a convenience add-on that I don't need to be apart of then fine, but again not a selling point for me.

No required "always-on" **but** games can implement it for cloud usage :nono: . Well we saw what happened with Sim City, this by itself will make my decision for me. If I didn't care about anything on my negative list and everything was sunshine and rainbows, this fact alone will lead me to stray away from One. SMH
Noteworthy comments:
  • It's f*** HUGE!
    At one point in the demo the dude says *"Go to Internet Explorer"*, made me laugh because who the hell would actually say that.
    During the Call of Duty Ghost stuff the Activison man kept saying how MW3 was cutting edge when it came out. No, no it wasn't. It was like 4 years behind when it was released.

"This system is built to amaze on day one, and continuously improve over the generation ahead".
    • What does that mean? Is MS the first console company to tackle the console's biggest issue, lack of upgrade ability during long life cycles? It's also mentioned again at the 1:47.41 mark. The PS4 and One are both essentially computers so if planned for ahead of time, this wouldn't be hugely difficult...
    "and the revolutionary Xbox One arcitecture".
    • They haven't designed some sort of special architecture, they designed an OS that allows for you to do real things like any other computer based OS. They are selling you the fact that the new One OS is more like a common computer's, and less like a "console" OS. As for switching and speed, yeah it's optimized to do that and it looks like they did a good job but it's not ground breaking AT ALL; it's what they should have created when they put out the 360, instead of the sluggish OS it currently has.
    "Kinect will have propriety Time of Flight technology..."
    • This confused me and the speaker used a lot of interesting words to describe it and so I looked the tech up. TOF isn't rocket science but it is impressive, essentially was it does is measure the time it takes for light to bounce off you and enter the camera, this allows it to figure out how far you are. What it really excels at is small resolution at distance and so it will allow the Kinect to pick up tiny little movements in high detail. So you don't need to make HUGE swipe gestures hoping it will see it. These type of cameras have been around for normal consumers since 2000 and only now is there enough computer power to get the most out of them.
    Steven Speilberg and Halo
    • Thought it was a game/TV show combo but as far as I can tell it's just a TV show. This partnership went from my "But I did enjoy this:" to whatevs.
    Combining all devices segment.
    • I don't want to pickup my controller and have my save game loaded, maybe I'm not playing games. I won't mind that my system does these things but they better be done in the background and not thrust me into game as soon as I pick up my controller. Also I REALLY hope devs don't make the lifting of the controller for a block or shield a thing. Just give me a f*** button, I don't want motion control devices controlling my games. Smart Glass is cool though.
    MOAR SEVERS!
    • Their isn't enough info to dictate whether or not the amount of servers will change anything. Talk to be about the amount of FLOPs your infrastructure will support. You can replace 1 hugely powerful server with 10 less powerful ones but people will clap for anything.
    The NFL segment
    • Not sure why this is suppose to be a huge deal. So what changes about how we watch football? The fact that One has fantasy integration while I watch on cable? I thought we already covered that. Then they go on saying how it will have exclusive and interactive content only on One... Where the hell was it? All I saw was the same s*** in the beginning of the demo. I don't get it.

orangeNblue
Car: 2008 Nissan 350z

I have mixed emotions on the Xbox One, but as of right now if I had to pick between Sony and Microsoft, I'm going with Microsoft. I didn't watch their presentation in its entirety, but what stuck out to me was the lack of discussion on it being a game console, which would be the only reason I'm purchasing any of the consoles, bc I want to play f**kin games on it!!!

All of the extra BS is cool and what not but I'll be highly disappointed if they miss the mark on this one. I love my xbox 360. Really all I want is a more powerful version of what I got.

On the topic of all of that TV jazz, the only way I'll ever start using my xbox for TV is if I can purchase channels individually and stream them through the XBOX. Now that may be the direction that we are heading one day, and I hope to God it is, but I was really expecting more of a gaming centered experience from their reveal.

While I did like things like the controller and some of the kinect capabilities, I felt very underwhelmed with the fact that this may not be the gaming experience I'm looking for. Hopefully they show it off more at E3

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I've been proudly waving the MSFT flag for ages. I'm an Xbox owner since the days of the Duke controller, and I've been on Xbox Live almost as long as it's been around (came out in November of '02 and I've been on it since January of '03).

I'm probably getting a PS4.

RCA

orangeNblue wrote:bc I want to play f**kin games on it!!!

On the topic of all of that TV jazz, the only way I'll ever start using my xbox for TV is if I can purchase channels individually and stream them through the XBOX.

While I did like things like the controller and some of the kinect capabilities, I felt very underwhelmed with the fact that this may not be the gaming experience I'm looking for. Hopefully they show it off more at E3
I'm with you about the games. From what I hear, the lack of games being presented was done on purpose so MS can concentrate strickly on games during E3. MS was actually kind of smart, they have the last announcement of the consoles, and they have the first presentation at E3. So it's like a 2 part announcement.

The TV works only if you have an existing cable subscription. You plug in your cable boxes hdmi into your Xbox One and then your Xbox One overlays the TV with the Xbox One layout. It works like the Google TV.

I think the Kinect isn't something I would use too often, but it has a LOT of potential to make your gaming experience better. The Kinect can track your heart rate and where your weight is shifted. Imagine if you're playing a game and your leaned back into your couch with a low heart rate, then the game realizes that and makes things a bit more challenging. This would cause you to lean forward in your couch and have your heart rate go up. I think those kind of situations could be neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kENCgBu2o4
BusyBadger wrote:I've been proudly waving the MSFT flag for ages. I'm an Xbox owner since the days of the Duke controller, and I've been on Xbox Live almost as long as it's been around (came out in November of '02 and I've been on it since January of '03).

I'm probably getting a PS4.
I think right now, there is clearly a winner when it comes to announcements, BUT making your decision this early is probably not a great idea.
There is still a ton of info that needs to be released at E3 and beyond. Probably a week before your purchase is the best time to figure out what you're interested in.

PS4s entire gaming line-up needs to be flushed out, PS4's DRM needs to be figured out, and Xbox One's gaming lineup needs to be announced. I think E3 will have many of those answers.

BusyBadger
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

RCA wrote:I think right now, there is clearly a winner when it comes to announcements, BUT making your decision this early is probably not a great idea.
There is still a ton of info that needs to be released at E3 and beyond. Probably a week before your purchase is the best time to figure out what you're interested in.

PS4s entire gaming line-up needs to be flushed out, PS4's DRM needs to be figured out, and Xbox One's gaming lineup needs to be announced. I think E3 will have many of those answers.
Hence the use of the word probably. ;)

Not enough time to post what I want right now, yard-work all day and I'm ready for a shower and some food...

...but my main concerns are the way multiple users of single game copies is covered by MSFT and what appears to be the focus on TV & media (would love to see a word cloud for the reveal speech) at the cost of gaming potential.

I said early on that this gen could be the exact opposite of the last one...so far I look to be correct.

orangeNblue

I most likely will not be buying either on day one....no way I'm fighting that crowd!

I am an xbox junkie and will most likely keep going down that same path. I love the microsoft controller, which I know will make me sound OCD, but I really don't like PS3 controls at all and to me that is a pretty big deciding factor. I mean I couldn't stand the Battlefield game because the controls were so much different then other shooters I play.

Sony has much better exclusive games, like Uncharted and God of War. But I think that in the future, developers are going to find it tough to limit themselves to one system. Heck even Bungie's upcoming game will most likely carry on to the PS4.

I look forward to the capabilities of the Kinect but to be honest I really just want to sit down and play a game, not have it play me. I have a small room dedicated to gaming (10x10, no windows, nice couch and a flat screen mounted to the wall) I don't see myself getting up and moving around. My kinect will mostly be used for all the voice controls and maybe the snap feature.

Now I know that from those release Microsoft documents that came out forever ago that they may have some type of glasses system set up using the kinect to have VR capability. Whenever that comes out I may get more use out of the kinect.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'm worried that it's going to be more of a Media Box than a gaming console. That trend already began with the PS3 and 360, and I'm ALL FOR more media integration, but I feel like, in this case, it supersedes the gaming capabilities.

I only ever bought three consoles on launch day: DS, Wii, and PSP. I SERIOUSLY regret the third one. The other two worked out great. I have NO INTENTION of buying an Xbox One or PS4 until they are well into their lifecycles, with significant price drops, beefy game libraries, and maybe even a reliability redesign under their belts. I was late to the 360 game and WAY late to the PS3 game, and it served me very well. I waited on the 3DS, too, and it paid off.

RCA

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I'm worried that it's going to be more of a Media Box than a gaming console...

I have NO INTENTION of buying an Xbox One or PS4 until they are well into their lifecycles, with significant price drops, beefy game libraries, and maybe even a reliability redesign under their belts.
I would wait for E3. They will release their 15 new games (7 or 8 are new ip).

For some people it is a bit more difficult. Some people have strong connections to a online platform and all their buddies are on there. So when anytime you play it's with your buddies, your whole gaming world is rocked a bit. When you have multiple platforms then it's a MUCH easier transition.

I totally agree with the day 1 purchases of consoles. Things are NEVER fully flushed out so waiting for v1.0 to be tweaked is totally worth it; also the game library will be more complete.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Well, Microsoft went and made up my mind for me today! I won't be buying a revised-edition after the prices settle...because I won't be buying one AT ALL.

--The console must connect to Microsoft's servers at least once every 24 hours or you can't play games offline. If you're accessing your content on someone else's Xbox (one of the supposed benefits of the disc/digital combo licensing which is partially responsible for the next item on this list) you can play it for ONE hour offline before getting the boot.
But, HEY, you can still play your blu ray discs!!!!!

--The restricted game-sharing system won't even be available at launch, and details about how it will actually work are vague in a "it might not even happen" kind of tone that reminds me of Sony's promises of digitized game conversions for PSP Go purchasers.

--Used game sales must be approved my publishers. Which means big houses like EA and Activision who have been DESPERATE to stamp out used games sales for years are going to say "no way." Did anyone think it was a bit odd when EA decided to universally rescind their Online Passes? Well this is probably at least part of the reason: new games for XBO will have other used-sale prevention measures already built in. And nobody's going to want any of those used Xbox 360 games because you can't play them on the new box. So their problem is solved. Opportunity for looking customer-conscious by undoing online-passes that have little meaning anymore is just a bonus.

This game console isn't. It's a damned media center. I don't need one of those. Of course, I don't really need a game console either. I'll just take the $800+ I save from not buying either of these new-gen consoles and pour it into my PC.

jbracy7
Car: 94 GTS TYPE-M in a dozen pieces

^
Word 90% of the games I own are gamestop specails some of the best games I own I have never herd off,and only got cause they were 3 bucks(too human btw is a solid hack and slasher,unfinished I belive) I will not be geting xbo, or ps4,just waiting on the price drop for the limited edition 360's,like the new halo ed might drop too $99 lol ( my elite 360 is dying on me )end.

s0m3th1ngAZ
Car: 96' Miata
2014 Focus ST

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/7/4408408 ... ne-privacy

f***. That. s***.
No wait...I'll probably buy it just to tape photos of my balls in front of the sensor. This police state is getting really f*** old America.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I honestly think Gamestop is pure Scum wrapped in Scum and encased in a block of Evil. And I buy games new. And I still don't think the console manufacturer has any business telling me how I can use my purchased content. It already bothers me that they muck up the works with their licensing fees, which make console games pricier. Now they're trying to pass of DRM as convenience features, as scumbag companies have been trying to do for years.

Every time anyone from Sony, Ubisoft, and now Microsoft speaks, I hear one sentence over and over and over again: "We don't trust our customers so we're keeping them on a leash."

To HELL with that.

Loki
Car: 1994 Nissan 240SX Convertible
2010 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2001 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning

I'm interested to hear what you think after yesterday, MoD. I am leaning very heavily towards Sony after their showing at E3. XBOne had no features that I wanted, and Halo 5 is nowhere near enough of a draw.

S13_love

Loki wrote:I am leaning very heavily towards Sony after their showing at E3.
I'll be getting the PS4 for sure....however, I'm gonna wait a while to see if those at M$ will pull their heads out of their a** before I contemplate buying an Xbone.

Anyway, unfortunately I only managed to watch the stream of the Sony conference.

Was a little annoyed when they started talking about how you can watch tv shows, movies, and all that other bs. My reaction (as well as quite a few other people...judging from the comments I saw):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0[/youtube]

However, when they wrapped things up by telling that there will be no online checks, price was $399, etc....that made me literally lol (in a good way).

And I'll leave these right here:

(there's plenty more too)

And Sony rubbing it in...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA[/youtube]

:rotflmao

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Loki wrote:I'm interested to hear what you think after yesterday, MoD. I am leaning very heavily towards Sony after their showing at E3. XBOne had no features that I wanted, and Halo 5 is nowhere near enough of a draw.
I didn't even realize E3 was happening right now. I haven't paid attention to it for years. I don't even remember anything from the last couple.

After reading your post, I googled "microsoft e3 2013." I have two thoughts:

1: $500 is stupid. Period. When are console manufacturers going to learn? Ditch all the s*** that's not about games, halve the price, and then try again.

2: The emphasis about Halo 5 running at 60fps. Why is this a thing worth even SAYING?! It's a game designed for a hardware-uniform console! OF COURSE IT RUNS AT 60FPS! What are they going to do, get lazy and settle for 30? I don't understand why this is a talking point. That's like advertising your car can go in reverse. Of course it f*** can! Nobody in their right mind would design one that couldn't! Do people thing the developers just flip a switch and go "magic framerate time!"???? They are DEVELOPING THE GAME SPECIFICALLY FOR THE CONSOLE. They're not going to design it to run like s***!
"New Farrari! Won't be slow! BE IMPRESSED DAMN YOU!"

Actually a third:
3: This is YET ANOTHER DAMNED "GAME CONSOLE" that is way too expensive while touting an assload of features I never asked for and skipping the ones that matter. I seriously, SERIOUSLY hope it bombs hardcore. MS, Sony (looking at you PSVita!) and everyone else need to learn that we don't give a s*** about touchscreens and social integration and motion controls and a billion other halfassed things that end up shoehorned into games' featurelists. WE JUST WANT TO PLAY GAMES DAMMIT. If I wanted a media player box I'd buy a Google TV or an HTPC. And I wouldn't spend $500 on EITHER OF THOSE.

orangeNblue

I'm getting a PS4 too....no waiting around to see if they pull their head out of their a$$. At this point I don't care. MS screwed themselves over when they lost sight of their true target audience, GAMERS. I don't need social BS or TV through my XBOX. I mean the things they showed are neat and there is definitely a future in it. But with all the restrictions, need for internet access to even play the game, and the price pretty much dug MS into a hole that I honestly hope we (the consumer) bury them in. I mean I know they will sell millions of the xbox one, but I know that no matter what they do, my $500 will be going toward a PS4 day one, as well as another controller and a game.

BusyBadger
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

What a turn of events...so much for Major Nelson's statement that DRM was too tied in to all of the XB1's services to be removed. Heh, guess it's better to remove the DRM than to remove all the cashflow, eh?

Major Nelson XB1 Feedback: Your opinion matters

Manchester Guardian: MSFT Abandons DRM & 2nd Hand Restrictions

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I'll tear this mess of an article apart when I get home later. For now, let's just say that it's been a long time since I've read anything so completely full of s***.
http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-go ... -514411905

BusyBadger
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

What a s*** article. I should expect as much from a "writer" that can't spell the word scarce properly.

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Alright (cracks vort knuckles). Here we go.
Kyle Wagner wrote:But what? Isn't all DRM bad and anti-consumer? No. Often it is, sure.
This is so wrong it hurts. DRM is INHERENTLY, DEFINITITIVELY, FUNDAMENTALLY anti-consumer. That is the CORE of its definition. DRM's exisitence, purpose, implementation, and driving force are all the result of a SINGLE broken, destructive, and insulting mindset: The Customer cannot be trusted. How could there be ANYTHING more anti-consumer than that?! The VERY PEOPLE WHO DRIVE YOUR BUSINESS and to whom you turn for support in form of dollar and word of mouth both are the very people you OPENLY, BLATANTLY, and disdainfully mistrust. It's not even a subtle thing. It's not hidden cameras and sharp-eyed security guards. It's a store with a big sign that says "I know you want to steal from me and I hate you for it" right next to the "Take a penny, leave a penny" tray. ANYONE who believes that DRM has ANY PURPOSE other than as an idealistic counter for paranoiac distrust of all consumers and, as a result, the embodiment of that distrust, is an idealistic fool. The "It's okay if it doesn't hurt ME" mindset is shameful. The tolerance of DRM in any form is an accession.

And, in fact, what our Mr. Wagner sees as a failure to move forward is really quite the opposite. Rather than MS's success with such a thing being a drastic change, the PREVENTION of such a step is a HUGE, CRITICAL, and extremely welcome change in the winds of DRM in the public eye. It shows that not only are consumers finally willing to stand up for something, but that publishers and manufacturers are starting to realize that they can't just pull out the pokerface and give us the "just try to fight us" glare. This MS retreat has proven that WE AS CONSUMERS have the power to determine the future of GOODS THAT WE PURCHASE AND OWN. This is a HUGE, MONUMENTAL victory for the consumer and all future XBone buyers. Wagner's suggestion that Microsoft's "losing their nerve" is a BAD THING shows that he's either very out-of-touch, or simply doesn't understand that Microsoft's claims that their other features were dependent on DRM don't HAVE to be true. They're only true because they chose to make them so.

And by that, I mean this:
Kyle Wagner wrote:You would also, as it happens, have been able to share your digitally purchased games. That's a REALLY BIG DEAL. We won't be able to do that now, though.
And why won't we be able to do that now? Because the only way to do so is to tolerate opressive DRM? Nope. Much simpler: because Microsoft decided that's how it works.
Here's a radical idea: let me trade my digital games ANYWAY. TRUST ME. THE GUY WHO PAYS EXORBITANT FEES FOR YOUR GAMES.
Most of my digial PC outlets do this. There's no DRM on most of the PC content I buy these days. There's no restriction on sharing. There's trust. And guess how often I breach that trust. Go ahead. Guess.
NEVER.
Because I'm not the lazy cheapskate scumbag weasel that companies like Microsoft and Sony think I am. I'm not interested in ripping them off. I WANT TO GIVE MY MONEY TO THE DEVELOPERS (and let's be straight here: the publishers can get bent, ESPECIALLY in today's world of accessible self-publishing). I don't want to steal from them!!!! I WANT TO REWARD THE PEOPLE WHO GIVE ME ENTERTAINMENT. How is this such a difficult concept to grasp?
And yes, I threw Sony in there. They might well have won a victory at E3, but I vividly remember the last ten years. Years of not being able to install software on my partly-broken PSP because it only lets me do so using heavily-DRM-caked official installer software over USB directly to the console. And the time I lost purchased data on a hard drive swap and Sony refused to allow me to redownload it (and yes, there was a warning and I expected this, but the problem isn't my foolishness in not backing up data...it's the necessity for the backup in the first place!!!!). My PSP is easily the worst gaming-related purchase I have EVER made (including my Sega 32X). And the reason for that is that Sony's piracyphobia and customer distrust are SO POWERFUL that they have hampered the usability of the console itself. I can't have fun with it because I'm so busy fighting through Sony's Gauntlet of Trust. I have far less than zero desire to repeat that experience again with another console. I WILL NOT BUY another console that does things this way.
Here's a video game example of effective DRM in practice: World of Warcraft, more or less the most popular game of the past decade.
The use of WoW as support of always-online is asinine. THE GAME'S FUNCTIONALITY IS ONLINE. There's absolutely zero parallel between an MMO and online requirements for OFFLINE GAMES. This statement is so mindbogglingly stupid I'm having trouble focusing on finishing this sentence.
Meanwhile, Blizzard's OTHER MMO (you know, Diablo III) has caught HUGE amounts of Hell for being always-online despite being a singleplayer game. No mention of THAT example. The one that makes sense and fits reality.
The DRM Boogey Man Is So Last Decade
I apologize for caring about things that aren't "cool" anymore. I didn't realize we just stopped worring about legitimate problems after they're no longer interesting to short-sighted young website editors.
Even ignoring the absurdity of a market-wide problem somehow going out of style, this simply isn't true. With companies like EA and Ubisoft pulling HUGE reversals in their DRM policies within the last year, I'd say the DRM Bogeyman (there's only one "o") is as relevant as ever!
The real fear behind DRM on games is the idea that at some point in the future, you'll be told that you are no longer allowed to use the content you'e paid for. It's that you're "allowed" to use anything at all, instead of outright "owning" it.
If you look hard enough, you can see a FOREST in there past those trees. "The real fear behind DRM on" ANYTHING is that it shows that corporations don't trust their own customers and as a result are willing to treat them like garbage while still happily accepting their money. It's like asking someone if you can have their lunch and then spitting in their face. The idea that we might lose access to digital content is ONE concern. And the fact that it's really just licensed content is ANOTHER SINGLE concern. They are not THE concern. They are components of the mechanics of an implementation of corporate CONSUMER MISTRUST.
Whether I can still play my games in 10 years is a legitimate concern. But the fact that I'm not trusted to use them honestly NOW, RIGHT THE HELL NOW is what's apalling. THAT IS THE REAL FEAR behind any kind of DRM. The idea that any and possibly every consumer out there is looking to take advantage of the publisher, retailer, or manufacturer/developer at the first possible opportunity.

Cheaper games. Easier sharing. The end of discs. The Xbox One would have been just fine despite the chorus of haters, would have been a better system for ignoring them. Microsoft losing its nerve on this isn't just disappointing for the features we lose. It's unfortunate because it shows just how heavy an anchor we can be.
My mind shut down to protect itself from the Stupid in this last paragraph. I had to take an hour to recover before I could finish the post.
THOSE THREE THINGS AT THE BEGINNING ARE POSSIBLE WITHOUT HAVING TO TOLERATE THE GARBAGE MS WISELY CHOSE TO REMOVE FROM THEIR NEW CONSOLE.
It's not just some pipe dream. IT HAS BEEN DONE. Gog.com. Various "bundle" sales. Tons of online digital retailers for software. I have HUNDREDS of games that did not come on disc, that are easily sharable, and that were DIRT CHEAP. They have no DRM and they don't tell me what I'm allowed to do with themselves. The ONLY difference is that I'm playing them on a platform where nobody decided there would be a SINGULAR SOLUTION for these capabilities. Where I'm free to choose. And this isn't even a PC vs console debate (especially since my PC is NOT the only gaming platform for which these statements are true!!!!!). In fact it's a CONSOLE VS CONSOLE debate. It's an illustration of an opportunity for gaming consoles to grow and improve that is being missed. Consoles are still closed environments. And this is a problem, because it means that the manufacturer is free to choose the featuresets based on their singular logic. And THAT is how we end up looking at choices between DRM OR Sharing our games. DRM OR disc-free. WE DON'T HAVE TO BE STUCK IN THIS RUT. Microsoft is perfectly capable of trusting their customers and releasing an earthshatteringly revolutionary console just as they'd like. By enabling all those features they claim they can't do without DRM--WITHOUT DRM.

This whole XBone fiasco has served to higlight the reasons that our beloved gaming industry still isn't respected on the same level as film and literature. The fact that these things are being debated AT ALL shows how far we have to go before we really grow up as an industry.

Return to “Gaming”