WTB 1971 Datsun 521 pickup heater fan

Buy, sell, trade - Every Datsun owner has a stash of parts they don't use, and has a list of things they need!
hippyhoppyhappy
Car: 1971 521 1995 CC

1972 521 1600 CC

1952 CHEVROLET PICKUP 3100 235 CUBIC INCH

1977 FORD LTD TWO DOOR 400 CUBIC INCH

I attempted to remove the 'fan' on the heater. I did. In three pieces, instead of one. Tried gluing, and taping it together, but It rattles so much, I am afraid it will come apart again. The reason I was taking it off, was because I wanted to see if I could end the 'play' the shaft it is on, has now a days. Was making a horrible noise; particularly; on high speed. Used penetrating oil to attempt removal of the nut that held it onto the shaft; but that was a waste of time.

I don't know how I did it. I used a socket and ratchet to loosen the nut, which may as well have been 'welded' on, it was so danged tight! Not sure what happened. In a 'nano-second', I had pieces of a fan. Difficult to hold the shaft and loosen that nut. Guess I held onto the fan while attempting to loosen the nut.

Would be a pleasure to simply get it back to the condition it was in. There is not much tolerance between the fan blades and the right side of the 'wall' of the heater. And the screws that mount the rubber extension between the heater and the defrost vents have to be very short, or they will hit the fan now.

It is not safe to drive it anymore, this time of year now. Anyone know of a type fan that might mount on that shaft? All I need is some simple thing that will mount on that shaft that has a 'flat' part of it; to hold a fan in place. In 'other words', the shaft is not completely round.

Oh; the nut that holds it onto the shaft now comes off easily. I can use some 'thread lock' to cure that. Or maybe a split washer.

Almost feel like going to a pet store, and see if they have miniature squirrels and see If I can buy that thing they run in circles in!

I don't need a complete heater. Will take one, though, if need be, to get the fan, if someone has one. Or; if you have a heater that is 'shot'....maybe I can get the fan off it, and use it.

Thanks.
Glenn

Dats521
Car: 3- Datsun 521 trucks, 2- Datsun 620 king cabs, 1-Plymouth barracuda, 1- vw beetle, 1-Mitsubishi outlander sport se, 1- Chevrolet Silverado LT

becky childs contacted me cuz she knows i have 3 datsun 521 trucks and told me of your issue, i might have a heater box assembly that i could sell to you but i am in burbank ,ca until 23rd so when i get back i can look thru my stash and see what i have available, i normally dont check here i am normally on ratsun.net or desertdatsuns.com if you go to ratsun just pm me my name is gene knight and my screen name on desertdatsun is dat521

hippyhoppyhappy
Car: 1971 521 1995 CC

1972 521 1600 CC

1952 CHEVROLET PICKUP 3100 235 CUBIC INCH

1977 FORD LTD TWO DOOR 400 CUBIC INCH

I actually found one, and got it going; but am interested in your offer. If you have one in your 'stash', I am certainly interested, since we do have a couple of these 521's. Be kinda nice to have a 'spare' ! We have no intention of ever selling them.

Took 'tons' of WD40.....penetrating oil, and a couple days to remove the fan. I used a split washer when I installed it, and what amazed me, is that...there is no more 'play' ! The shaft from the motor is not going back and forth anymore! I have no explanation for that! Perhaps the fan I installed is wider than the former one, and preventing 'play'. I don't know. It now runs quietly, even at high speed.

Please tell becky; I most certainly appreciate her contacting you...

Thank you.

Glenn

Return to “Datsun Classified Ads”