Wow .... 300ZX's Sure do have alot of troubles!!! lol

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
vape-one
Car: 1990 300zx

Everyone on here is either having spark issues(electrical) an cannot get the poor lil ZX to start.... This is really sad... Why is this electrical issue for the Z so darn complicated... I am mechanically inclined an I am even having issues.. But I will eventually finger it out tho.. Tinker Tinker lol

HOST
Car: 1993 300ZX N/A [SOLD] 1992 300ZX 2+2 [SOLD] 1992 300ZX N/A [TT Project]

vape-one wrote:Everyone on here is either having spark issues(electrical) an cannot get the poor lil ZX to start.... This is really sad... Why is this electrical issue for the Z so darn complicated... I am mechanically inclined an I am even having issues.. But I will eventually finger it out tho.. Tinker Tinker lol
Welcome! lol this is the life of a Z enthusiast.

vape-one

My Z is driving me crazy ... I just bought it an im trying to tune out the bugs ... I need to get each plug to burn the same,,, Is this impossible ...???? Wel C !!!

HOST
Car: 1993 300ZX N/A [SOLD] 1992 300ZX 2+2 [SOLD] 1992 300ZX N/A [TT Project]

vape-one wrote: My Z is driving me crazy ... I just bought it an im trying to tune out the bugs ... I need to get each plug to burn the same,,, Is this impossible ...???? Wel C !!!
Should be no problem at all, I read your thread. I had the same issue with my last Z and it turned out to be bad injectors and coil packs

DMeN Z
Car: SWhite '91 TT Z32, Dodge Patas

Once you start to read up and repair stuff, you'll realize it gets much easier to diagnose problems. My first Z gave me hell when I first bought it but it was sooo worth it.

car nut
Car: GT500.

This is the technical section you know (i.e. where people come to ask questions about their problems)

Zwicked
Car: 1990 300 ZX tt, 1990 240SX

A lot of issues are caused from the EFI electrical connectors corroding and causing poor connection. Any of the ones with the spring clip are subject to this as they are not very weatherproof to start with, and over time and engine bay heat they crack or completely break. This is the Nemesis of this vehicle. They all need to be pulled and as much corrosion as possible needs be scraped away. Step 2 is to use a high quality contact cleaner. Lastly dielectric grease should be applied to guard against future corrosion.The other issue is these vehicles are about 20 years old, and like any aging car things give out such as injectors, Idle Air Control Valve solenoid, Coil Packs get weak, vacuum hoses crack and leak, etc and generally the engine mechanical simply wears out.Testing components to ensure they are in spec and operational as well as a compression test so you know how healthy the engine is, is an important step.Doing all of the above most often flushes out any issues.I've found this vehicle, in many respects, is easier to work on than most any newer one.

vape-one

car nut wrote:This is the technical section you know (i.e. where people come to ask questions about their problems)
No kiddin! Really?

vape-one

Very Nice Write up... Congrats... Thank you for the positivity ....

BUTTONBOY
Car: 1991 300ZX 2+2 NA

Nice job Zwicked. Age takes its toll. The connectors that were used in the early 1990's are not nearly as good as what is being used now. If you want a nightmare to work on as far as electrical connections and corrosion go, get yourself an old S30 280z with the electronic fuel injection!!! I had one for about 5 years and worked on it 2 years of that. Most of the issues I had were electrilcal and were happening just because the old girl had so much age on her. Great car though, sooo much fun to drive!!!

dantesdoom
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx N/A
1997 Nissan Pickup

YES... they have too many problems. The motors are tanks... its the little sensors and vaccum pieces, along with the PTU that seem to give trouble all the trouble. Not to mention working on them is a biznitch. I bought mine with a broken timing belt as my first project car. Before i got it, i had only changed oil, and let me tell you my learning curve was rediculous. I recently did a plenum pull successfully and i was excited about that. Fun car though, just a pain when it needs fixing!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”