Would you buy a Versa again?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
ironmike77
Car: 08 Versa HB SL

I don't know if would get another V or not because I just got mine, I'm not saying that I'm not happy with it because I am. Before I got the V I had a 98 Grand Cherokee (she was a beast 175,000+ miles) but she was a nightmare on gas the past few years especially before I got the V. 26-29 MPG, Ill take what I can get! Depending on what's on the market in the next few years we will see. But ultimately I am satisfied with the V.

Atx_Versa
Car: 2008 Nissa Versa SL

Dude, I really want another versa, except I want a sedan that way I will have best of both worlds... I like the styling of a modded sedan.

dauphine
Car: 2007 Versa SL/Red Alert

Like EverVictorious, our Versa gives consistently lower mileage than published-lowest is 25-26 and highest (very infrequently) is 32. The median seems to be 28-30 with summer gas (no hills and no stop-and-go traffic at less than 2500 rpm/65mph with easy stops and starts), but it varies wildly and follows no pattern that I can discern. Winter gas runs 25-27mpg. We don't get anywhere near the mileage that most people in this forum seem to get. I've just given up trying to figure it out.

As far as dealers go, we have an Honda Odyssey van as well as the Versa so we've dealt with our local Honda dealer for a few years. Quite simply, they beat the socks off of the Nissan dealer. Our Nissan dealer's staff treats me like an idiot and literally talks over my head to my (male) roomate, whom I've had to take with me in order to be taken seriously. I know there are good and bad dealers everywhere but it's pretty hard not to compare and contrast the two when they're right across the street from one another.

The paint on my Versa is deteriorating quickly enough that it will be in need of a paint job by the time I've had the car five years. I just can't understand why 1-3mm chips that go down to the bare metal are appearing on a weekly basis. I don't live in an area with lots of road work or drive on dirt roads, and I've lived here for a number of years without having this problem on five other cars. It just has to be the Versa's paint. Of course the dealer won't have anything to do with it, telling me that it has to be down to road conditions.

I really wanted to like this car, but I don't know how much of this sort of thing is considered 'reasonable' Maybe I've been spoiled because my other cars (Toyota, Acura, Ford and Honda) never had issues. Maybe I just got a lemon.

Anyway, it won't be a Nissan next time.

/rant

dauphine
Car: 2007 Versa SL/Red Alert

Oh, and I currently have to wait two weeks to get an appointment for an oil change with my dealer. Because "we're awfully busy this time of the year". All I can do is shake my head.

Vahagn23
Car: NIssan Versa S

just returned from a 6k trip. My engine opened up and really picks up speed faster now and feels lighter than before. Fun trip the V handled great, I put on over 6k in 12 days.

mikeyheymikey
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

I love my 2008 Fresh Powder Versa SL sedan. Love the CVT. It gives me a comfortable and secure ride and is great on gas. When I purchased, I had my heart set on a hatchback, but the dealer did not have in stock, my preferred color in the SL model. When I looked at the SL sedan, I thought I would be giving up precious cargo space....WRONG! My sedan has a huge trunk which accommodates a wheelchair with oodles of room to spare. So now I don't have to sacrifice passenger room for cargo. I haven't regretted my decision for a moment.

Scotty412
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I go back and forth on whether I would buy the Versa again. I am a big fan of the new Altimas that came out in the past two years. There are few cars out there that I would consider buying besides these two models.

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

Most definitely yes. The car has easily exceeded my expectations. It's more efficient, more fun to drive, more spacious, much better equipped, and more versatile in cargo capacity than the '02 Camry it replaced for my wife.

Given the standout features, it really is a unique vehicle. It exceeds the oft-compared Fit in cargo capacity by 8 cubic feet (with seats folded) and has features like Bluetooth and intelligent key that make it stand out in its class.

Plenty of other cars in this segment have their merit and it's certainly not my belief that the Versa is perfect - but it does offer a great compromise between cargo space and efficiency. Few current cars (if any) combine the aforementioned characteristics like the Versa and for that reason, I'd buy it again...not to mention that my wife first fell in love with the Versa hatch, and she's still crazy about it after 14 months and 14,000 miles.

Kolk1
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa

Nope. I dont hate it enough to sell it, I do like the car, but Ive actually fallen in love with my Rental car. Never even considered it a car to even think about, but I love it, 2008 Fully loaded 4 cylinder Ford Fusion. I hate to even admit it, but I just love them. Im getting better gas mileage, usually 36mpg, its WAY bigger, and quieter. Down side, a decent Fusion is about 22grand.

Slither

The Fusion is a very strong car. Fire depts. are having a hard time with the jaws of life cutting people out of them. And they're seeing people survive accidents in Fusions they wouldn't think surviveable.

I'm not keen on having a Ford again, once bitten twice shy as the saying goes.

Rand0m0sityxX
Car: 2015 Nissan Quest S
2018 Nissan Versa S

Personally, i'd get another one. But I'd get a Hatchback instead of the Sedan..

Yes, Prius' get great gas milage, but for those who would consider getting one, your really not saving on gas since they cost 20K... The money you'd save on gas would just give you more to pay to the car.. Any Hybrid is like that...

If I did go to someone else for a car, it would probably be a Mazda or a Toyota..

But in actuality, no car now would get great milage, they don't make cars like they used to. My fiance has a '96 Dodge Neon, still in great condition with over 100K miles, and he gets over 30mpg.. Something my V can barely get, as well as other cars that are supposed to be 'great' on milage that friends of mine have.. I'm just not satisfied with New cars at all.. If Dodge had kept the Neon, instead of bringing the Caliber, I would have bought a Neon instead of the V..

RedWhale
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

While I do love the car, I hate the issues I've had with it and fear more lurking in its future.

I'll say that if they stop assembling them in South America, I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I'm eyeballing the Cube to see where they'll be putting them together.

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

They're made in Mexico, that's North America.

RedWhale
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

My mistake, thought they were assemble further south. In the end, until they are assembled in the U.S. or Japan I wouldn't buy another.

Vahagn23
Car: NIssan Versa S

Love the V, but next time I would get something much faster. Though if it wasnt for that, ye anotherV

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

I would definitely buy another Versa. I love mine No regrets on the purchase.I don't plan on trading mine in though, I purchased it and plan on driving it to the end of its life.

Stumpkin
Car: 2008 Versa S

I did'nt even know the "V" was a car when we saw it.We were shopping for a good used car to go to college with our daughter.Well it was only $1,500 more than a good low milaged used car, with great safety rating for a small car. The m.p.g. could have been better for it's size, I just felt the higher safety rating was worth the m.p.g. loss. Besides she likes it so much she wants to buy it from us when she is done with school. To me thats a win-win!! My brother liked it so much he got one for his kids.

She needed me to drive it last week (2 hr. highway). Man I might own it but that was the first time I realy droveit. WHAT A NICE RIDE FOR ITS COST & SIZE!!

Might have to get one for the next college kid!

I guess that would be a Yes.

iluvmyVersa08
Car: 2008 SL Sport

Stumpkin wrote:I did'nt even know the "V" was a car when we saw it.
Lol, I didn't even really know about the V either. Although I did test drive it the year before (summer of 2007) and then finally test drove it again in March 2008 and that's when I finally bought it. My dad did the negotiating for me, but I make the payments, lol. It's all mine

Reed19x

The Versa is my girlfriend's car...and she absolutely loves it. Personally, I wouldn't buy another one. And I also probably wouldn't get another Nissan. All my family friends work at Nissan, and with the economy the way it is...I felt obligated to buy from them. I've been treated like nothing but sh*t by the past 2 Nissan and Infiniti dealerships I've dealt with. Because I'm younger they try to "sleaze" me a little bit more than their older customers. When I bought my Element a couple of years ago, Honda was an absolute joy to work with...and the last Scion dealership I went to was extremely nice as well. The Versa has been great so far, but sadly...Nissan hasn't.

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

I'd get another Versa, but it would have to be top of the line SL, all the accessories you can get such as sunroof, sport package and the audio package. I won't get another Versa until the next remodel but not until 2013 or later.

CKinslow
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S (Sedan)

Yes and No.

Yes because I want to drive the SL model. I had an Altima for a rental and the CVT is so wonderful. Plus I want an auxilary input.

No because there are cars that have better features for about the same price you can find at the dealerships

CKinslow
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa S (Sedan)

Yeah I really regret letting them talk me into getting a base model
Mile High Versa wrote:I'd get another Versa, but it would have to be top of the line SL, all the accessories you can get such as sunroof, sport package and the audio package. I won't get another Versa until the next remodel but not until 2013 or later.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

CKinslow wrote:Yeah I really regret letting them talk me into getting a base model
There's always a fix for that. A lot of people are still looking for base models, especially around cities. They want as cheap as possible. And seems to be plenty of SLs on the market, hence low interest on mine.

ADOversa
Car: 2008 Versa S 6MT Hatch, 2005 Chevy 3500 LWB

No. Wouldn't buy a brand new car again at all. Buying my Versa was an educated decision, not an emotional one. And I want a car that has more "personality" or whatever it is.

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

I agree, the Versa is a great car, but I sometimes feel bored when I drive it. I remember driving my '98 Civic, and it was always fun to drive and had a personality even though it wasn't new and it was manual.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

ADOversa wrote:No. Wouldn't buy a brand new car again at all. Buying my Versa was an educated decision, not an emotional one. And I want a car that has more "personality" or whatever it is.
Was saying there are plenty of used SLs, but I too won't buy another brand new car, two has been enough for me.

ADOversa
Car: 2008 Versa S 6MT Hatch, 2005 Chevy 3500 LWB

Mile High Versa wrote:I agree, the Versa is a great car, but I sometimes feel bored when I drive it. I remember driving my '98 Civic, and it was always fun to drive and had a personality even though it wasn't new and it was manual.
Thats how I feel exactly... I had a 94 Civic... had coilovers, intake, and a fairly quiet exhaust, and of course, my stereo. It wasn't fast, but I had alot of fun with it, and for some reason, the Versa just doesn't have that feel, and I don't think ever will, even with mods.

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

ADOversa wrote:Thats how I feel exactly... I had a 94 Civic... had coilovers, intake, and a fairly quiet exhaust, and of course, my stereo. It wasn't fast, but I had alot of fun with it, and for some reason, the Versa just doesn't have that feel, and I don't think ever will, even with mods.
Just wondering, was the Civic your first car? My first car was a 1993 Sentra XE 5-speed, and even though it was a pretty plain little car, nothing I've driven since has given me the same ear-to-ear grin. There's something about that first-car connection that defies logic - and perhaps time has softened my take on that Sentra, but I've come to accept the fact that I'll probably never feel as content in any new car as I did in it.

Oh, and given that it's been about 9 months since I posted in here,the answer would still be 'yes' on the Versa. Although I wouldn't mind being able to say 'maybe' if that meant the compact/subcompact market was getting more competitive. And from the looks of new cars like the Ford Fiesta (same platform as the Euro Mazda2) that may be the case. In any case, I doubt we'll get rid of ours any time soon.

aleckz
Car: Versa

The only reason I bought the Versa in the first place was because of the price and the availability. lf I would have had the money to buy a different car I would, probably a Mazda3 hatch or a Civic, but those were still out of my range. I got a basic V w/ 6spd and power for 12.5, Mazda3 and the Civics were starting out at 17 with no rebates so there wasn't really any choice besides the V.

Don't get me wrong I love the Versa and its very universal, but it was not my first pick. I chose the V because I didn't want to get a used car since I drive +15k miles per year. I'm actually sitting at 16.3k miles and it hasn't even been one year since the purchase of my V, it runs strong and has proven itself. It has been through the Rockies, the snow, ice, hail, and it still performs. Only thing I want upgrade on the car is ABS and Cruise and then it'd be perfect.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase, but my next car won't be a subcompact nor will it be underpowered.

APEXi240
Car: 08 Versa S hatch

I would probably buy another Versa, but not the one I have. My wife and I originally bought the car for her (and a year later, I'm driving it), so instead of a S hatchback with some options, I would have went with the 1.6 base with no options.

I can't explain why, but I love stripped down cars with no options, whether they are performance vehicles or commuters.

Return to “Versa General Chat”