Would you buy a Versa again?

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

Xterra,

Continental tires are the OEM's for the Versa.

Johniboi
Car: Versa

i was talking about how they looked, as in their body kit or its exterior should i say. so how bout you keep your mouth shut and leave yur opinion to yurself

OH..and yeah as in lancer, you see any other lancers out there buddy?didnt thinkk so so how bout yu go yurself

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

Bubs daddy wrote:Xterra,

Continental tires are the OEM's for the Versa.
read what I said. Ditch, meaning don't use

Bubs daddy
ABS, CVT

I read that as ditch them for an OEM. I think you meant "ditch them as the OEM tire." I understand now what you were trying to say.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

Johniboi wrote:i was talking about how they looked, as in their body kit or its exterior should i say. so how bout you keep your mouth shut and leave yur opinion to yurself
Hey, JB, I thought the whole purpose of the board was to be able to give opinion.

Opinion: noun1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Which is what you gave regarding the Lancer.

Quote »and yeah as in lancer, you see any other lancers out there buddy?didnt thinkk so [/quote]Actually, every once in a while . . . in fact, have a neighbour with one, riced up and rarin' to go.
so how bout yu go yurselfQUOTE]Naw, I'm not into that

ITasteLightBulbs
Car: 08 Nissan Versa, 91 Ford Crown Vic

The continentals are terrible, a good set of michelins is the way to go in my book. I think a wider stock wheel would be nice as well. and it is pretty funny that the versa does not have a full size spare, especially since its already riding on donuts. And Johniboi have you had a chance to drive a lancer yet? I agree that the new ones have a nice appearance, but I felt like the interior was a little cramped when I test drove some, and the A/C seemed to take forever to kick in. This could all just be problems cus im 6' 2" and tried driving the car in the hottest part of summer, but hey if you go for the lancer let me know how much you want for your V.

daggonit
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL Sport

I test drove a Lancer GTS before buying my Versa and I have to say they do look really nice on the outside but the inside is CHEAP...WAY...WAY CHEAP!!! I test drove a lot of cars before buying the Versa and nothing really came close for the price. I really love my Versa but I still wish I had waited a little longer. Car companies are in a heated scramble to bring fuel efficient vehicles to market. I think we're on the cusp of seeing some really incredible cars.

Johniboi

uhh yeah i think i know what a noun is so no need teachign here my friend..but lemme go ahead and rephrase myself...keep your "rude" opinions to yurself..dont wanna look like dumbasses and argue on the internet now would we?

[QUOTENaw, I'm not into that [/QUOTE]

lol good one

Johniboi

Damn really? well that sucks, i thought the lancer wouldve imprvoed their cars, and to be honest they did a good job on the exterior, but from what you guys are saying i guess the interior sucks huh? oh well, not like i was gonna buy it anyways lol..nd dnt get me wrong i do love my versa, but to be honest since ima teenager i just wish it was a little more sporty looking you know?

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

Don't get it, JB . . . was just trying to say in a half-hearted way that a Lancer isn't for me . . . especially because Chrysler has its hand in it.

Didn't mean to offend your sensibilities. Didn't think I was rude.

Ah well.

[/this discussion]

Johniboi

well why didnt you say so my friend?couldve just used those simple wordss

lol i kidd

but like i say, everybody has their own taste...

Diznum
Car: '71 Porsche 911S Targa, '08 Infiniti G37S Coupe, '08 Versa SL CVT

I would for sure

OKVersa
Car: Nissan Versa

Absolutely. I love ours. Hate the cupholders. Wish Nissan had reliable servicemen. Would fix the visors.

But yes, I would by another.

dauphine
Car: 2007 Versa SL/Red Alert

Unfortunately, I would not purchase a Versa again. While I do like it, I'm pretty disappointed in several major areas.

We bought our Versa mainly for the fuel economy. Three weeks after we signed on the dotted line it was revised downward which was a big disappointment, and even with very careful driving we've always been at the lower end of the numbers. Also, my Versa has the most fragile paint job I've ever seen. I've never owned a vehicle that has had so much pitting and chipping at only 12 months of ownership. Add a very mediocre local Nissan dealer to the mix and that equals a Honda Fit next time.

fjwagner
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S et al

Johniboi - I think you need to work on some respect issues. Many of us on this forum have many years on you and I doubt you would talk to any of us in person that way. Save it for your age specific group that might think it is funny. i have an 18 year old, so I can speak from some experience. Plus, I was 18 once. The internet makes it too easy to hide behind a screen.

bikeman
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

dauphine wrote: weeks after we signed on the dotted line it was revised downward which was a big disappointment
Do you think this was specific to the Versa?
dauphine wrote:even with very careful driving we've always been at the lower end of the numbers.
I don't drive like I did when I was younger but my wife thinks I'm still too heavy on the pedal. We get mid to upper 30's on the highway. Mid to upper 20's in city driving. Can't complain about those numbers.
dauphine wrote: Also, my Versa has the most fragile paint job I've ever seen. I've never owned a vehicle that has had so much pitting and chipping at only 12 months of ownership.
No problems with the paint on ours with 13 months of ownership and that includes a winter with heavy salt use on the local roads.
dauphine wrote: Add a very mediocre local Nissan dealer to the mix and that equals a Honda Fit next time.
Dealers will make a big difference with any vehicle. Going to a different make of vehicle doesn't make it a better decision. Check out the dealer, not the make the dealer sells. I like our Nissan dealer better than the local Honda dealers. Your area may or may not be different.

David

Johniboi

uhh im srry??but how was i supposed to know he was older than me?

daggonit
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL Sport

dauphine wrote:Unfortunately, I would not purchase a Versa again. While I do like it, I'm pretty disappointed in several major areas.

We bought our Versa mainly for the fuel economy. Three weeks after we signed on the dotted line it was revised downward which was a big disappointment, and even with very careful driving we've always been at the lower end of the numbers. Also, my Versa has the most fragile paint job I've ever seen. I've never owned a vehicle that has had so much pitting and chipping at only 12 months of ownership. Add a very mediocre local Nissan dealer to the mix and that equals a Honda Fit next time.
I owned a Honda Fit before buying the Versa and let me assure you the grass is definitely not greener on the other side.

The Fit's 5 speed automatic gets 27/33 and the Versa's CVT gets 27/33...you'll also be at the station more often given the tiny 10 gallon fuel tank in the Fit (major pain). I'm sure you'll also enjoy the lovely, constant sloshing noise from the gas tank since it sits right under the driver and passenger seats (safe).

The paint was actually peeling away from the corners of the front bumper before I got rid of the Fit. There were also numerous chips on the hood, bumper and top. Both are economy cars so I didn't expect a BMW paint job from either but the paint on the Versa has held up better than the Fit by a large margin.

Honda dealerships are no better! My Honda Fit was burning a 1/2 quart of oil every 2 weeks and the dealership did nothing about it. I contacted Honda and Honda did nothing about it. The only thing I got was "we'll monitor the problem" while I'm left with adding oil every two weeks. If ya have not noticed...OIL IS EXPENSIVE!! It was a 9 month battle between me, the dealership and Honda that drove me to fly the white flag and trade in the car. I'll admit I have no experience with a Nissan dealership...because I have not had to use one yet. I've had the Versa for 5 months and it's been smooth sailing (knock on wood).

I apologize if I'm coming off a little defensive but my experience with the Honda Fit was horrible. I owned the car 9 months and I honestly have not had that many problems since owning a 1995 Dodge Neon (yeah...I know). The Fit was in the shop constantly for a number of issues ranging from a broken driver's seat to a engine that constantly burned oil. If you look at some of the Honda forums I think you will find just as many complaints with the Fit.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

bikeman- If you go back to the EPA mileage revisions AND compare them to real-world reporting the Versa is not doing as well as a lot of the competitions' cars. The Civic, Fit, Yaris, Matrix and Vibe are all faring better than the Versa. A lot of that may be attributable to what you put in your first post, that the Versa may not be the car for those of us who do a lot of city driving. When Dauphine and I bought our cars they were rated 30 around town. Now they're revised downward to 28 combined. That's a big disappointment for us.

We're not having any problems with our paint either but a lot of people seem to be reporting paint/chip problems. For those that have them it does influence the answer to the question "Would you buy a Versa again?", which is what this thread asked. Your good quality paint is probably not going to sway anyone who has mediocre paint sitting in the driveway.

And yes, dealer service is huge. That's why we left the Vibe we were going to buy and bought the Nissan. Since we have a very good Honda dealer locally and the same owners have both West Covina Nissan and West Covina Toyota, next time around we would go Honda or Toyota based on the car.

Bubs daddy
ABS, CVT

Quote »If you go back to the EPA mileage revisions AND compare them to real-world reporting the Versa is not doing as well as a lot of the competitions' cars. The Civic, Fit, Yaris, Matrix and Vibe are all faring better than the Versa.[/quote]Based on "real world reporting?" What reporting would that be? Disgruntled internet posts? Magazine reviews? Real world reporting based on what?

My Versa consistently gets 30-33 mpg combined on every tank.

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

Bubs daddy wrote:
Based on "real world reporting?" What reporting would that be? Disgruntled internet posts? Magazine reviews? Real world reporting based on what?

My Versa consistently gets 30-33 mpg combined on every tank.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov would be the first place to start looking at that, but of course only a statistically insignificant number of people actually post their fuel economy numbers there. Next comes those of us who post our mileage figures in our sigs.

My V is no longer "consistent" on gas mileage. "Schizophrenic" is more what I'd call it. It will randomly land somewhere between 26 and 30. No rhyme or reason to it. It's one of many things that's driving me batty.

And the service I've been getting from the dealer is less than fantastic. Today when I dropped off my car with a laundry list of problems, he quickly fixed the fuel door opener problem that I've had by bending a metal tab on the inside of the door, then turned around and said "oh, well you must have hit it with the fuel pump when putting it in".

Had to resist the urge to use several choice expletives deriding his insinuation that I am an idiot. That comment was almost as bad as the "oh, you're getting bad fuel economy because of all the ethanol they use during the summer" argument.

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

EPA ratings dropped more for the Versa. Real-world reporting and tracking at fueleconomy.gov. Real-world reporting and tracking at True Delta Reliability.

Frankly, why would only disgruntled Versa owners report there but not disgruntled owners of other cars? Doesn't make sense. Yet the other vehicles are reportedly getting better mileage than the Versa.

Add to that all the people who claim great mileage but then aren't willing to report it at those sites. Apparently including you. Makes perfect sense that the same factor applies to the other cars. People getting even better than what's being reported aren't reporting it for those cars, either.

And before you start talking about a lead foot be aware that I get 29 mpg on the highway out of my Buick Rendezvous and averaged over 63 mpg city both times that I rented the Prius.

I've stated many times on this site: this Versa is the only car I've driven that my average gas mileage is not above what it was city rated for when I bought it. Quite frankly, if we had seen the revised sticker instead of the 30/36 sticker we would not have been interested in the car. We expected the Versa to perform about the same in relationship to the sticker as the others. We know now that expectation was incorrect.

Yes, that's our fault. And, coming back to the original question of the thread, knowing what we know now we would not buy the Versa again.

kcourtad
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Sedan

i wouldnt kuz i heard that the are taking the 6 speed out of them...

bikeman
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL

srellim234 wrote:bikeman- If you go back to the EPA mileage revisions AND compare them to real-world reporting the Versa is not doing as well as a lot of the competitions' cars.
That wasn't my question.

David

XterraVersa
Car: Nissan Xterra & Nismo 350Z

I post my milwage at http://www.fueleconomy.gov

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Your question as to whether the revision downward on the sticker was Versa-specific? No, but the Versa was revised downward more than most.

Add to that the fact that people who do report mileage are reporting, on average, poorer gas mileage in relationship to the sticker than what is being reported in other cars and the Versa comes out even weaker.

Bubs daddy
ABS, CVT

Quote »Your question as to whether the revision downward on the sticker was Versa-specific? No, but the Versa was revised downward more than most.[/quote]Could you provide links or numbers to support this claim?

Quote »Frankly, why would only disgruntled Versa owners report there but not disgruntled owners of other cars? Doesn't make sense. Yet the other vehicles are reportedly getting better mileage than the Versa.

[/quote]I never stated only disgruntled Versa owners would report. But I sure haven't added any input to those surveys and I'm sure there are tens of thousands more who haven't.

Moreover, flawed data is flawed data all the way around. It's not real world. It's a real guess at best. How do we know the driver's calculations are correct? Winter and summer blends of fuel, driving habits, and a whole host of other factors would give caution to "real world" numbers.

You don't think there are Honda fanatics out there skewing the numbers? How do we know these people even own these vehicles? Is the VIN entered?

It's real world all right. The real internet world. How can this data be verified? How do we know these people are telling the truth? How do we know they calculated correctedly or didn't just put down good numbers?

This is anecdotal at best. Completely insignificant at worst.

What sampling of the total number of cars each company sold are represented in these surveys? One percent? Less than one percent? More?

I'm not saying the Versa doesn't get less mileage than other vehicles. I'm saying that using internet data without a way to verify the data makes comparison of the vehicles in these surveys invalid.

srellim234
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

I took the time to look at the competitive 2007 models at fueleconomy.gov, which is the EPAs own website. On the site they have available both the original estimates and the revised estimates for comparison.

As for faulty calculations, reporting at EPA involves keying in the date, your odometer reading, how many gallons you put in and the total price paid. THEY do the calculations. Somehow I don't think that they are intentionally messing with the calculations to make just Nissan look bad.

Real world includes the average of summer/winter blends, light foot/heavy foot, and I don't understand why it would occur to only Honda and Toyota owners to skew numbers upward and not Nissan owners. As for a small sampling, even 30 cars reporting is a better sample than your sample of one. And if you include reports from this forum, you need to take the good and the bad and average them out, including considering that the numbers here may be skewed upward because this site involves a small sample skewed toward Nissan enthusiasts.

We can beat this thing to death and get really hostile or we can agree to disagree and look at the original question posed. You would buy a Versa again. I wouldn't. That's not going to change.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Since I haven't replied to this one. I probably would buy one again, but dont think I'll ever buy a new car again, definately used.

But it comes down to if the Versa meets your needs. For me it does. Yes I could get a little better mpg out of a Yaris or Fit, but I would be stuffed into a smaller car with even less hp/torque.

ekim53
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

A definate YES! My 08 SL has almost 17K miles, I'm averaging 33 to 34 mpg and I find it to be a very comfortable drive. No problems other than a minor annoyance with the stereo system. To me it doesn't feel like I'm driving a sub-compact, but rather a larger car with plenty of room.

Return to “Versa General Chat”