Would P1140&P1145 codes keep car from starting

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
kdsdawg
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

thought I would post this in the Nissan Tech forum, not getting any answers on Infiniti forum. Just purchased my 2001 QX4 in June this year with around 114k miles on it. Service engine light came on the 2nd day. Periodically it doesn't start, but it always will eventually. I was wondering if the cam sensors being bad would cause it not to start occasionally. I am going to replace both sensors but was wondering if that would also fix the starting issue?
Thanks

And I searched the site and read some forums on those codes but didn't see anything to do with it affecting the starting of the vehicle.

kdsdawg

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

I don't THINK they will prevent it from starting... although a crank angle sensor will. Are both those codes for cam angle sensors?

kdsdawg

They are cam sensors. Although the official term, I think is intake valve timing control. I have had it 2 months and it has probably failed to start 3 times and it does eventually start after a few tries.

rioredstang
Car: 1993 240sx SCCA ITS

Be sure to check your oil level. Low on oil will set codes. Also check to see if engine has some sludge in it. If it does have someone who sells BG products do a engine flush. Be sure it has the correct oil in it. 5W30.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

kdsdawg wrote:They are cam sensors. Although the official term, I think is intake valve timing control. I have had it 2 months and it has probably failed to start 3 times and it does eventually start after a few tries.
Next time try unplugging the valve timing control solenoid. This should lock it in full retard, which is what it needs to be at for starting.

kdsdawg

will unplugging it effect it in any other way and where can I find out how to unplug it. Also it is idling so rough right now it will almost stall out while in park.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

And those are still the only engine codes you are getting? Wow...

The part highlighted in red SHOULD be your VVT solenoid. There should be another one on the other side of the engine bay.

kdsdawg

I replaced an intake valve timing control solenoid on the drivers side. I had ordered two of them of the internet and they sent one right part and one wrong part. I sent it back and will replace the passenger side when the other correct part comes in. Are you telling me to unplug that valve that is highlighted. They were both plugged in and I replace and replugged. ??? And that doesn't look like what I replaced.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin

I'm not 100% sure how the VQ35 works, but typically engines will leave their electronic valve timing in full retard at idle. Unplugging the solenoids should get you to full retard, thus enabling the car to start/idle better. It should be quick and easy to check and see if that is the case. You would unplug the solenoid that you had replaced earlier, as well as the one on the other bank. You unplugged them to replace them, so you should know how to do that. Its just depressing the clip and pulling the harness out of it. After that, crank the car and see if it starts/idles better.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”